|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » KoA: Reckoning - A Game You Should Play

Default KoA: Reckoning - A Game You Should Play

February 27th, 2013, 14:18
I played it when it first came out; Personally I thought it was way over-rated and while not the worse game I've ever played there are many better games to be recommended.

Also it has several bugs near the end (clipping error and such - esp on the boss mob fights)
you is offline

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor

#21

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: usa
Posts: 414

Default 

February 27th, 2013, 18:40
Originally Posted by Gokyabgu View Post
By the way vanilla game is too easy for my taste. So I had to use HeartCore Mod to make the game challenging.
Any idea where that mod can be found now? Every link I try for KoA mods seems to be dead.

There's also a FOV mod, but I can't find that either.
JDR13 is online now

JDR13

JDR13's Avatar
SasqWatch

#22

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Florida, US
Posts: 17,815

Default 

February 27th, 2013, 18:55
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/fmftcephsxvn83e/-mRiTE9kgV

Even has docs-hope that helps. Also not sure if this is what you mean for the widescreen

http://www.wsgf.org/dr/kingdoms-amalur-reckoning/en
redman5427 is offline

redman5427

redman5427's Avatar
Keeper of the Watch

#23

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: its kinda frozen
Posts: 808

Default 

February 27th, 2013, 19:01
Originally Posted by redman5427 View Post
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/fmftcephsxvn83e/-mRiTE9kgV

Even has docs-hope that helps.
Thanks! Seems like a lot of work though.



Originally Posted by redman5427 View Post
Also not sure if this is what you mean for the widescreen

http://www.wsgf.org/dr/kingdoms-amalur-reckoning/en
Not sure.. kind of hard to tell what that mod actually does.
JDR13 is online now

JDR13

JDR13's Avatar
SasqWatch

#24

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Florida, US
Posts: 17,815

Default 

February 27th, 2013, 20:53
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
Any idea where that mod can be found now? Every link I try for KoA mods seems to be dead. There's also a FOV mod, but I can't find that either.
I'm with you. KoA is one of those games where maybe just a few more tweaks and I could see myself playing it all the way through.

A few months ago I spent a little time surfing the net and I did come across a 'widescreen' fix that let's you adjust the FoV.

But when I set that all up and ran KoA… when I activated the mod by pressing the "*" key (the default key to activate the MOD once KOA is running) caused KoA to simply stop running and return me to my desktop.

A little more research found that the widescreen mod is incompatible if you play KoA using the Origin client but perhaps works if you bought KoA through steam.

Another tidbit I came across in my research as the reason why there is so little mod info out there is that the SDK was never released which l guess modders need to do their mod thing.

So when you search anything KoA related there isn't a whole lot out there. Hopefully down the road maybe something will get released to modders so they can finish that game.

If I'm right but there is no wife around to acknowledge it, am I still right?
TheMadGamer is offline

TheMadGamer

TheMadGamer's Avatar
SasqWatch

#25

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Oregon
Posts: 1,977

Default 

February 27th, 2013, 21:12
Originally Posted by TheMadGamer View Post
A little more research found that the widescreen mod is incompatible if you play KoA using the Origin client but perhaps works if you bought KoA through steam.
I'm downloading it through Origin as I type this.

I got KoA plus DLCs cheap from Amazon digital during the holidays, but unfortunately that didn't include a Steam key.
JDR13 is online now

JDR13

JDR13's Avatar
SasqWatch

#26

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Florida, US
Posts: 17,815

Default 

February 27th, 2013, 21:29
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
I'm downloading it through Origin as I type this.

I got KoA plus DLCs cheap from Amazon digital during the holidays, but unfortunately that didn't include a Steam key.
Well if you get that widescreen mod to work I'd be interested to hear how you did it. I'd also be intersted in just knowing if you have the same problem I did - KoA just stops and drops you to the desktop.

If I'm right but there is no wife around to acknowledge it, am I still right?
TheMadGamer is offline

TheMadGamer

TheMadGamer's Avatar
SasqWatch

#27

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Oregon
Posts: 1,977

Default 

February 27th, 2013, 22:09
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
Any idea where that mod can be found now? Every link I try for KoA mods seems to be dead.

There's also a FOV mod, but I can't find that either.
Unfortunately only site that had stayed open (Amalur Foundry) seems dead now. I have the standalone mod. If you give me your e-mail I can send you the mod.

There's no need to install anything. You just have to start the game, load your save, then open this standalone mod. Then activate everything from top to bottom. (Ctrl+1, Ctrl+2…, Ctrl+6) But in order to activate Ctrl+7, first you have to change difficulty from Hard to Normal in the game, activate Ctrl+7, then change it back to Hard. That's it. You have to run this mod in the background while playing the game. But each time you run the game, you have to do these steps again.

But mod has some disadvantages. Some bosses are impossible to beat because of some regeneration of health. If that's the case deactivate the mod, kill it, activate again. Also you can't sneak kill some monsters. Instead after sneak attack they lie down motionless. But you can kill them easily in that position.

Otherwise this mod makes the game challenging and fun. You have to calculate your every move to avoid death.

"Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Terry Pratchett, Reaper Man
Gokyabgu is offline

Gokyabgu

Gokyabgu's Avatar
Keeper of the Watch

#28

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Sigil
Posts: 781

Default 

February 27th, 2013, 22:11
A difficulty increasing mode would definitely help, although I'd be curious about exactly what any mod did to increase the challenge. One of the issues I remember was just that (unless I'm mistaken) there was no limitation on healing potion drinking, and healing potions were very plentiful. It seems like this would need to be addressed before any other challenges would be meaningful.

I really liked reckoning for awhile, but I also got tired of it pretty quickly. It seems like the sort of game that is worth trying out to see if you like it at the very least.
fadedc is offline

fadedc

Keeper of the Watch

#29

Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,008

Default 

February 27th, 2013, 22:26
fade, is there, instead of difficulty chaser mod, a grind removing mod so practically you don't level up quickly on default mobextermination?

Toka Koka
joxer is offline

joxer

joxer's Avatar
The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor

#30

Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 6,092

Default 

February 27th, 2013, 23:11
Originally Posted by fadedc View Post
A difficulty increasing mode would definitely help, although I'd be curious about exactly what any mod did to increase the challenge. One of the issues I remember was just that (unless I'm mistaken) there was no limitation on healing potion drinking, and healing potions were very plentiful. It seems like this would need to be addressed before any other challenges would be meaningful.

I really liked reckoning for awhile, but I also got tired of it pretty quickly. It seems like the sort of game that is worth trying out to see if you like it at the very least.
If I remember right game has cooldown times for potions, so you can't drink potions one after another. And this cooldown time really matters when a monster can easily kill you with two blows (in HeartCore Mod of course)

"Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Terry Pratchett, Reaper Man
Gokyabgu is offline

Gokyabgu

Gokyabgu's Avatar
Keeper of the Watch

#31

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Sigil
Posts: 781

Default 

February 27th, 2013, 23:13
Originally Posted by joxer View Post
fade, is there, instead of difficulty chaser mod, a grind removing mod so practically you don't level up quickly on default mobextermination?
Difficulty mode also decrease the exp point you receive from killing things. So you can't level easily. This removes the overpowering issue in the vanilla game. After 50 hours of playtime I was still in Level 12.

"Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Terry Pratchett, Reaper Man
Gokyabgu is offline

Gokyabgu

Gokyabgu's Avatar
Keeper of the Watch

#32

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Sigil
Posts: 781

Default 

February 27th, 2013, 23:56
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
There's also a FOV mod, but I can't find that either.
This is what I use and it works great in Steam or Origin, just select which one you want in the control panel-https://www.widescreenfixer.org/
Warmark is offline

Warmark

Sentinel

#33

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Vancouver , Canada
Posts: 381

Default 

February 28th, 2013, 00:00
@Gokyabgu & fadedc - According to the readme file, the mod simply reduces the effectiveness of potions by 50%.

Pretty much all of the changes in the mod are simply % adjustments. Health, damage, mana costs, etc.


@Warmark - Does that mod actually let you adjust the FOV though? It looks like it's just a widescreen fix.
JDR13 is online now

JDR13

JDR13's Avatar
SasqWatch

#34

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Florida, US
Posts: 17,815

Default 

February 28th, 2013, 00:14
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
@Warmark - Does that mod actually let you adjust the FOV though? It looks like it's just a widescreen fix.
Yeah it let's you set whatever distance in degrees you want for field of view, I'm running it at 90.
Warmark is offline

Warmark

Sentinel

#35

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Vancouver , Canada
Posts: 381

Default 

February 28th, 2013, 00:19
Sounds like it's just what TheMadGamer and I were looking for. Thanks
JDR13 is online now

JDR13

JDR13's Avatar
SasqWatch

#36

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Florida, US
Posts: 17,815

Default 

February 28th, 2013, 00:49
If only 38 Studios would have lasted a little longer… they were planning a patch for the PC version that added new camera views as well as a new difficulty level. Glad to see some of these user mods out there can enhance the game though.
Fluent is offline

Fluent

Fluent's Avatar
RPG Fiend
RPGWatch Team

#37

Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 2,220

Default 

February 28th, 2013, 00:51
Originally Posted by Warmark View Post
This is what I use and it works great in Steam or Origin, just select which one you want in the control panel
This is what I love at the Watch. I missed the cog you can click on to select the service you are using (steam, orgin etc.).

The default is Steam so when I first tried this KoA would just quit.

But with KOA set AND Origin set as the service, it works great. This is really awesome and inspires me to continue playing. I can actually see the world now.

If I'm right but there is no wife around to acknowledge it, am I still right?
TheMadGamer is offline

TheMadGamer

TheMadGamer's Avatar
SasqWatch

#38

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Oregon
Posts: 1,977

Default 

February 28th, 2013, 01:54
Originally Posted by TheMadGamer View Post
This is what I love at the Watch. I missed the cog you can click on to select the service you are using (steam, orgin etc.).

The default is Steam so when I first tried this KoA would just quit.

But with KOA set AND Origin set as the service, it works great. This is really awesome and inspires me to continue playing. I can actually see the world now.
Glad it's working for you, it brought the game to life for me.
Warmark is offline

Warmark

Sentinel

#39

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Vancouver , Canada
Posts: 381

Default 

February 28th, 2013, 10:03
Hi fellows,

Nice to read some good feedback on KoA: Reckoning here. Way back then I made that little HeartCore Mod (or actually the YSA mod, a little updated version). I had written down excessive and structured documentation for it, but it all did vanish with them just switching off their forum. I am still too deeply p**ed to retackle the project again, but indeed despite of the already described glitches here it should work out really well. It is/was also highly customizable. Doing it was quite an adventure as mots it is written in assembler code, injected via the CheatEngine program.

Let me see if I can find you an old backuplink for the YSA version…
youngneil1 is offline

youngneil1

Traveler

#40

Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 17
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » KoA: Reckoning - A Game You Should Play
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT +2. The time now is 20:44.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright by RPGWatch