|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Torment: Tides of Numenera - Starting to Kick

Default Torment: Tides of Numenera - Starting to Kick

March 6th, 2013, 16:26
You can throw your money at the Kickstarter for Torment: Tides of Numenera now. They are asking for $900K and have already collected a third of that.
Torment: Tides of Numenera is a game set in the world of Monte Cook’s new tabletop RPG setting, Numenera. Torment continues the thematic legacy of Planescape: Torment, a critically acclaimed role-playing game from 1999 that's considered by many to be a hallmark for storytelling in computer RPGs. With Torment, we're striving to create a rich role-playing experience that explores similar deep, personal themes. Here's the scoop:
  • Torment is a single-player, isometric role-playing game.
  • You will play a single, specific character, though you will encounter optional NPC companions you may choose to include in your party.
  • The story-driven game will have a rich dialogue system and approach similar to that of Planescape: Torment.
  • The game will be developed in the Unity engine for PC (Windows), Mac, and Linux platforms.
  • The game will be available in English, French, German, Italian, Polish, Russian, Spanish.
  • The game will be distributed DRM-free. (You’ll be able to get it from Steam, and other DRM-free download options will be made available.)
More information.

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

March 6th, 2013, 16:26
Pledged =D

arthureloi

Visionary Vampire

March 6th, 2013, 16:42
Pledged.

tolknaz

Sentinel

March 6th, 2013, 17:07
Pledged. 418k as I type.

Badesumofu

SasqWatch

March 6th, 2013, 17:20
Pledged.

Lemonhead

Keeper of the Watch

March 6th, 2013, 17:21
Dang! They are almost half way already!

DarNoor

Sentinel

March 6th, 2013, 17:23
lol, they are going to reach their goal in one day I think…

azarhal

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor

March 6th, 2013, 17:24
Well, got one of the last few $95 rewards. But, call me crazy, I'm not all that intrigued by the pitch video… inhabiting other people and gaining various suites of abilities?

Drithius

Misbegotten Alien

March 6th, 2013, 17:40
Pledged - just shot over $500,000 + $50k whilst I was reading the blurb .

Roq

Seeker
RPGWatch Donor

March 6th, 2013, 17:55
Funny how they don't say "turn-based" or "real time with pause" anywhere in their pitch. I imagine it will be the latter, but it's a significant distinction to RPG fans.

my novel: bit.ly/dreamlandsbook

screeg

floating head

March 6th, 2013, 18:04
Originally Posted by screeg View Post
Funny how they don't say "turn-based" or "real time with pause" anywhere in their pitch. I imagine it will be the latter, but it's a significant distinction to RPG fans.
Yeah I'd like to know myself though I already kicked in here, but at this rate I'd advise them to say nothing till this is over lol.

Warmark

Sentinel

March 6th, 2013, 18:05
Backers reached 10, 000. Guess no need to spread words?

They are still thinking since it seems to be still quite important for some people.

Dusk

Sentinel

March 6th, 2013, 18:11
I just need a time machine to travel to 2014.

Twitter: @TravisAC85

GuybrushWilco

Pirate Janitor

March 6th, 2013, 18:16
Didn't bother to watch the video. The write-up was good enough for me to pledge.

Kobu

User Defined Class

March 6th, 2013, 18:17
This is purely hypothetical question since this will be fully funded in a few hours.

Hey Brother None, Chris Taylor claimed that Project Eternity and the other big kickstarters were actually looking for $3 Million dollars, and only asked for 1 to have a better chance of getting it. If Torment only reached the $1 million goal, would InExile have to lay people off since it wasn't enough money?

Since it's clear they are going past that, it won't be an issue, but I'm curious.

jwmeep

Watchdog

March 6th, 2013, 18:27
I wonder how much customization choice you'll get with your "single, specific character"?

rjshae

Bob
RPGWatch Donor

March 6th, 2013, 18:42
Originally Posted by jwmeep View Post
This is purely hypothetical question since this will be fully funded in a few hours.

Hey Brother None, Chris Taylor claimed that Project Eternity and the other big kickstarters were actually looking for $3 Million dollars, and only asked for 1 to have a better chance of getting it. If Torment only reached the $1 million goal, would InExile have to lay people off since it wasn't enough money?

Since it's clear they are going past that, it won't be an issue, but I'm curious.
Maybe they'd have to get some of their funding from other sources. Success does tend to be reinforcing - people only really want to give you money if you don't need it.

Roq

Seeker
RPGWatch Donor

March 6th, 2013, 18:43
Originally Posted by jwmeep View Post

Everything Brian has said this last year has indicated he'd hate to do that but yeah, you'd have to think so. I'm sure they'd do their best to retain them if at all possible but $900k simply can't pay for as many people as $3m can. The reality is without publisher money backing them inXile depends on community kickstarter support on each and every project to stay in business. He's put a tremendous amount of trust in us and that's why I'm happy to put my trust in him.

However, I guarantee you they have a plan for every amount between $900k and $3m or more to produce the best game they can. There's no way Fargo would betray the trust of his kickstarter backers and not make the best of whatever amount he raised.

LuckyCarbon

Unfettered Developer

March 6th, 2013, 18:54
It's a significant distinction, sure, but I enjoy both and it would make zero impact on my pledge. Now, if they called it an "action-RPG," THEN I'd be a bit more hesitant. I like many action RPGs, too, but that's a style and emphasis that I feel is detrimental to the theme.

RampantCoyote

Sentinel

March 6th, 2013, 18:55
They said practically nothing about gameplay except that is based on Numenara's rule set.It didn't stop me from pledging since l am more interested in story here but I do hope they say (lot) more about game itself.I am generally unfamiliar with Numenera but form what I read rule set and setting do seem intriguing.

Nameless one

Keeper of the Watch

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Torment: Tides of Numenera - Starting to Kick