|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Torment: Tides of Numenera - Journal Update

Default Torment: Tides of Numenera - Journal Update

March 7th, 2013, 03:09
The Torment Kickstarter has been funded in 6 hours and is currently already above a million and Brian Fargo writes this:
You’ve got to be freaking kidding me!! We just funded in six hours!?!?!
Our heads are still spinning at the incredible response we have had from today's support of our Kickstarter campaign. We had plans to roll out our stretch goals and to write our Kickstarter updates but never in our wildest dreams did we think we would fund this quickly!!! We are joyfully scrambling right now to get a longer update and some stretch goals in front of you as soon as we can. We should have more to say later today.
You are all unbelievably awesome and we could not be happier about receiving your trust in us. For many years we have wanted to get back to making this style of RPG but it appeared that the market was going everywhere but that direction. Almost every article and new game was focused on being an MMO, multi-player or micro-transition based. This wasn’t our style and we couldn’t generate interest in the classical narrative type of RPG that we all grew up making and playing. Thank you for backing our vision once again and we will not let you down. We will continue to communicate and and make sure we solicit input such that the game is hitting all the right notes.
Our goal is to make great RPGs for you all for the rest of our careers.
More information.

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

March 7th, 2013, 03:09
not surprised

borcanu

muist

March 7th, 2013, 07:28
Wow… And it's been confirmed as been faster then Ouya to hit its goal.

Dr. A

Keeper of the Watch

March 7th, 2013, 09:34
Damn! This will end up beating even Project Eternity. I'll be pledging myself, but I'm waiting for an update on combat before deciding how big it is. Yet another TB KS will result in a smaller sum than real time with pause.

Maylander

SasqWatch

Send a message via MSN to Maylander

March 7th, 2013, 10:52
Originally Posted by borcanu View Post
not surprised
+1

A credible studio is making a spiritual sequel to the greatest rpg ever made, no amount of kickstarter fatigue was going to stop this one going crazy.

Benedict

SasqWatch

March 7th, 2013, 15:18
Originally Posted by Maylander View Post
Damn! This will end up beating even Project Eternity. I'll be pledging myself, but I'm waiting for an update on combat before deciding how big it is. Yet another TB KS will result in a smaller sum than real time with pause.
I'm the same.

So far the details of the game sound great but they're too vague. I need specifics on the world, combat and art style.

I suspect I will not be disappointed however

Dr. A

Keeper of the Watch

March 7th, 2013, 20:07
Originally Posted by Maylander View Post
I like both, but was thinking that with less emphasis on being a party game, like WL2, real time with pause or something similar might work better for Torment.

Roq

Seeker
RPGWatch Donor

March 7th, 2013, 20:19
Waiting to see how much like torment this will be. I didn't like torment at all it was the only infinity engine game I never finished.

My main complaints were the death mechanics ( or lack of), the talking skull humor and the encyclopedia of reading. Basically everything that most thought Made it great.

sakichop

SasqWatch

March 7th, 2013, 20:58
Your loss. See… There are puzzles in the game you can't solve. If mortal. Also, you sure you can't die? I assure you that you can. Just step on the wrong toe of Lady of Pain twice and you're history.

I can understand you despise humor in games, well, I'm the opposite, no humor games are something I really don't want to play. Hell, even FPS Undying had it's part on heavy dark humor and talking corpses, and you can't say that game sux.

As for reading the book, well, I can't understand ppl that want to watch dubbed movies, no subtitles and no original voices I'll never watch. The same goes for PST. I've simply enjoyed those huge piles of text more than there was VO all over the place.

Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor

March 7th, 2013, 22:27
Well my loss is your gain I guess.

I don't think torment sucked, quite the contrary actually. Just from the limited time I put into it I could tell a lot of thought and care went in to it. Unfortunately it just wasn't my kind of game for the reasons I mentioned above.

From what I remember you were immortal and instead of dying you got teleported or something. It was a long time ago and I didn't put a ton of time in to it so I could be wrong on the specifics but I definitely remember not liking the way death was handled.

Anyway I'm sure I'm in the minority hear but that's how I saw torment.

So I will be in wait and see mode on this one. It does sound like there will be some different mechanics in the new game so I'll just have to see how different.

sakichop

SasqWatch

March 8th, 2013, 01:39
Well, now it's basically a $25 very-pre-order for the game, though it will still cost you $65 (plus $12 outside the USA) if you want a physical copy.

Oh man, it looks like over 5000 people are already going to be included in the credits. They're going to need a LOT of music for this game just to cover the donations!

Zloth

I smell a… wumpus!?

March 8th, 2013, 02:46
Originally Posted by Zloth View Post
Oh man, it looks like over 5000 people are already going to be included in the credits. They're going to need a LOT of music for this game just to cover the donations!
I think we are going to get new type of credits to accommodate these kickstarters.

azarhal

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Torment: Tides of Numenera - Journal Update