|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Shadowrun Returns - Interview @ Gameindustry.biz

Default Shadowrun Returns - Interview @ Gameindustry.biz

March 13th, 2013, 16:01
Lengthy interview with Jordan Weisman on the 'really gratifying and enormously scary' Kickstarter audience.
Of course, Kickstarter is not the place for massive projects. "The funding platform and the amount of money we raised there does lead you back towards this kind of game," Weisman agreed. "There's an overlap with the audience that's on Kickstarter. It tends to be an older audience, ones you can afford to take a little risk, and who have an emotional attachment. I think the majority of games that have been funded there to large numbers are people or properties that have an emotional tie to the audience in some way. Certainly that's the case with Double Fine, Wasteland, Shadowrun, the Obsidian guys… these are all examples of that."
Shadowrun Returns was funded far in excess of its goal, but that doesn't mean Harebrained Schemes is rolling in money. "We have 37,000 backers on Shadowrun Returns," Weisman said. "Our hope is that there's a lot more of them than just those 37,000, because if not then we lose the gamble. We've spent every penny and more that they gave us to make the game; we haven't made any money."
More information.
woges is offline

woges

woges's Avatar
SasqWatch
RPGWatch Team

#1

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: UK
Posts: 2,110

Default 

March 13th, 2013, 16:01
I wonder… to expand the market to a younger audience and thereby make money, will KS projects need to be adopted to portables? I know that games written for portables don't appeal to some here and hence may not be good for the initial KS funding drive, but perhaps allowing for a post-release port will be a business necessity?
rjshae is offline

rjshae

Bob
RPGWatch Donor

#2

Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,192

Default 

March 13th, 2013, 16:17
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
I wonder… to expand the market to a younger audience and thereby make money, will KS projects need to be adopted to portables? I know that games written for portables don't appeal to some here and hence may not be good for the initial KS funding drive, but perhaps allowing for a post-release port will be a business necessity?
Well one advantage they have from having relatively modest budgets is that the system requirements on most of the projects, the rpg ones at least, aren't so steep as to preclude being ported to mobile devices and tablets particularly as subsequent generations come out. The trick there will be with the control schemes; with turn based games though that seems at least plausible for tablets without having to *completely* rework all aspects of the UI.

The other advantage most of the projects I've been following have is that they tend to be using Unity as their engine. This makes the prospect of subsequent versions being made available on a wide range of platforms less of a challenge. The tools included also make the task of recreating the UI got those platforms less of a significant barrier as it does offer rather robust features for easily creating distinct and fully functional UIs for each platform.
jhwisner is offline

jhwisner

Keeper of the Watch

#3

Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,472

Default 

March 13th, 2013, 22:23
Originally Posted by jhwisner View Post
The other advantage most of the projects I've been following have is that they tend to be using Unity as their engine. This makes the prospect of subsequent versions being made available on a wide range of platforms less of a challenge. The tools included also make the task of recreating the UI got those platforms less of a significant barrier as it does offer rather robust features for easily creating distinct and fully functional UIs for each platform.
Perhaps the main barrier is screen size. There's a limit to how far you can compress a UI to work on devices such as an iPhone and still fit a workable representation of a scene onto it's small screen.
Roq is offline

Roq

Seeker
RPGWatch Donor

#4

Join Date: May 2012
Location: Somerset/London UK
Posts: 941

Default 

March 13th, 2013, 23:52
I wonder how sales went for BGEE on the iPad?
rjshae is offline

rjshae

Bob
RPGWatch Donor

#5

Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,192

Default 

March 14th, 2013, 01:00
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
I wonder how sales went for BGEE on the iPad?
Apparently not too shabby:

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discuss…-on-ipad-sales

I suppose that on the balance the dirth of games which come anywhere close to it in terms of quality and quantity of content on the platform overcame the issues with the UI transitioning to a touch interface.
jhwisner is offline

jhwisner

Keeper of the Watch

#6

Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,472
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Shadowrun Returns - Interview @ Gameindustry.biz
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT +2. The time now is 16:43.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright by RPGWatch