|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Tech Help » Wireless mouse/USB question

Default Wireless mouse/USB question

May 20th, 2013, 02:27
Hello. Just a quick question that I can't seem to find the answer to online.

If I have a wireless USB mouse that runs on batteries, will the battery be drained while the computer is in "sleep" mode?

Usually I remove the USB adapter from the computer and place it into the mouse, which effectively turns the mouse off. However, if the battery won't be drained while the computer sleeps, I will just leave the USB adapter in at all times.

Any ideas?

Fluent

RPG Fiend
RPGWatch Team

May 20th, 2013, 07:03
I also have a wireless USB mouse. Afaik, there is no drain on the batteries unless you're actually using the mouse, even when your computer is on.

JDR13

SasqWatch

May 20th, 2013, 11:50
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
I also have a wireless USB mouse. Afaik, there is no drain on the batteries unless you're actually using the mouse, even when your computer is on.
I won't say that

Actually there is a drain, be it an almost negligible one, whenever the batteries are in the mouse. Even when it's out they naturally tend to pass off, that's inevitable. Anyway you shouldn't worry about that as it wouldn't drain that much energy unless you let your machine unused for a long period of time. Then, it is safe to unplug the batteries and store it in a cool and dry place.

Gloo

Sentinel

May 20th, 2013, 12:48
Ok, I meant that there's no significant drain.

JDR13

SasqWatch

May 20th, 2013, 13:44
I also have wireless mouse and wireless keyboard. But both of them have the switch on them to turn them off. Even if that wasn't the case, the batteries inside are rechargable. Yes, I do have also a recharger.

While keyboard, mouse and batteries were bought in the local store, I've got the recharger for some cheap money from, of course, China. The online store I use when I need some cheap stuff I don't care about quality of:
www.dealextreme.com

Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor

May 20th, 2013, 15:38
I have a Logitech Wave cordless mouse/keyboard and they go into a low power mode where they use almost no power when you don't use them for a while. The batteries last for many months even with heavy use; I only replace them a couple times a year.

BillSeurer

Eternal Supreme Dictator

May 20th, 2013, 17:34
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
Ok, I meant that there's no significant drain.
Yeah, I know, I'm too finicky (is that the correct word, I'm not too sure ?). Anyway you're correct and I should've emphasize more about the fact that the drain on the batteries is almost nil.

Gloo

Sentinel

May 20th, 2013, 17:56
I have a Logitech wireless that has replaceable batteries. The USB wireless transceiver (plugged into a port to communicate with the mouse) plugs into the mouse to turn it off when not in use. It also has a manual switch to turn it off.

Thrasher

Wheeee!
RPGWatch Donor

May 22nd, 2013, 02:33
I'll just leave it plugged in, then, and see how long it takes for the batteries to die. So far, they have lasted quite awhile. Hopefully I won't need to replace them in a few days of constant plugged in. We shall see.

Thanks for the replies!

Fluent

RPG Fiend
RPGWatch Team

May 22nd, 2013, 15:02
If its a new wireless mouse then you will be fine. they can last for months. Just leave the mouse on unless storing it.

The much older ones ran out quickly, 2 weeks or so but I doubt you have an old one unless someone gave it to you.

Toff

Sentinel

May 22nd, 2013, 17:11
Haha, actually I have an old one from 7 years ago . Just never replaced it. It still works well enough but the range is pretty short, sadly. I'll probably get a new one soon.

Fluent

RPG Fiend
RPGWatch Team

May 22nd, 2013, 18:09
We use cheap Logitech M510s at work and they work fine. Batteries last months of 50 hour work weeks. Good size and weight. $23 on US Amazon right now.

Toff

Sentinel

May 22nd, 2013, 23:00
Logitech even builds all-surface (towels, etc.) cordless mice with a power switch at the bottom.

Gorath

Prime Evil
RPGWatch Team

May 24th, 2013, 02:46
Originally Posted by Toff View Post
We use cheap Logitech M510s at work and they work fine.
The M510 is actually a really good mouse. I've been using one for the last few months.

Even though it's cheaper than most gaming mice, it's significantly more comfortable to me. The higher-end mice usually offer more buttons, but I find that most of them are too bulky for my taste.

JDR13

SasqWatch

May 24th, 2013, 02:50
Bah humbug! Trackballs, people! Superior in every way.

And yet, Logitech recently discontinued the last decent Trackball on the market, the Cordless Optical Trackman. I'll likely have to get used to a Kensington once my current Trackman goes bad (and it WILL go bad - Logitech quality has been in the bucket for the past few years).

Drithius

Misbegotten Alien

May 24th, 2013, 03:04
Originally Posted by Drithius View Post
(and it WILL go bad - Logitech quality has been in the bucket for the past few years).
I've been using mostly Logitech for the past 15+ years, and I haven't noticed any drop-off in quality. I don't use trackballs though. Those are for weirdos…

JDR13

SasqWatch

May 28th, 2013, 12:55
I only have optical mice nowadays - but all of them are still wired. I don't like wireless that much (yes, I'm an old grumpy man ).

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction. (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Tech Help » Wireless mouse/USB question