|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » The Witcher 3: - PCGAMER First Look

Default The Witcher 3: - PCGAMER First Look

April 15th, 2013, 04:26
PCGAMER brings you a first look at The Witcher 3. Enjoy there humorous first play style preview.
I know this is exactly what a brooding fantasy RPG anti-hero would want you to think, but Geralt really is misunderstood. At first glance, The Witcher’s reticent protagonist is a walking cliché. He has silver hair, a scar over one eye and two swords permanently fastened to his back. If you asked an artist to sketch a typical troubled, dark-fantasy badass the results would look suspiciously similar, but these aren’t frivolous artistic embellishments – they’re the marks of a man who has survived for decades in the gloomiest of dark fantasy worlds.

The Witcher 3 is the final entry in Geralt’s saga. Freed from the political obligations and baffling amnesia that bound him in The Witcher 2, he’s searching for lost loved ones in a world on the brink of a calamitous war. But for all his vagrant tendencies, Geralt has a knack for becoming embroiled in the squabbles of the rich and powerful. He’s responding to a summons from Jarl Crach, who needs help with a personal matter.

Whether developer CD Projekt RED can master the world-building techniques that make Skyrim such a fascinating place to explore remains uncertain, but from what I’ve seen here, their huge open world setting has done nothing to dilute the intrigue, ugliness and dark humour that make The Witcher games so strange and memorable.
More information.
Last edited by Couchpotato; April 15th, 2013 at 04:40.

Couchpotato

LazyGamer
RPGWatch Team

April 15th, 2013, 04:26
Great article. Some choice quotes from the article that I particularly like.

This is a prescribed boss fight, but these behaviours are dynamic AI decisions. If you run across a giant in the wild, he’ll start looking for ways to use the environment against you
I wonder if it will pick up and hurl NPCs as well

Combat looks similar to the combo-heavy third-person brawls of The Witcher 2, but the developers insist that they’ve focused strongly on improving the heft and responsiveness of fights. You still combine quick and heavy strikes into killer combos, but each click is tied to a single blow to stop Geralt from windmilling wildly into the bushes. A selection of dainty pirouettes should put an end to the endless roll-dodging of the second game, and Geralt will case foes at a more measured pace before lashing out, adding some much needed structure to the flashy but sloppy duels of the second game.
Combat is a huge part of the game and I'm glad the devs are working hard on it.

Also I think spy a few new screenshots in the article.

I am ashamed to say I haven't finished Witcher 2.But that's only because I have limited time to play all the games I want to. I'm still in Flotsam because there's a lot of things to be done. I must say that the
Spoiler – Witcher 2 side quest
side quest really got to me. I spent 30 minutes just looking for the quest item, I was that desperate to help the quest giver.

Dr. A

Keeper of the Watch

April 15th, 2013, 04:48
Well I can help you there if you want. At least it's not as weird as the feather quest later on.
Spoiler – Walkthrough of the Troll Quest.

"Beware the potato for he is easily angered."- Couchpotato
Last edited by Couchpotato; April 15th, 2013 at 05:03.

Couchpotato

LazyGamer
RPGWatch Team

April 15th, 2013, 05:01
Thanks Couchpotato but I already completed the quest (on my own too )

Spoiler

I just felt so damned sorry for the NPC
Last edited by Dr. A; April 15th, 2013 at 06:24.

Dr. A

Keeper of the Watch

April 15th, 2013, 15:09
That sounds positively promising.

Exitus acta probat.

wiretripped

Machiavellian

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » The Witcher 3: - PCGAMER First Look