|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Skyrim - Moving To Our Next Adventure

Default Skyrim - Moving To Our Next Adventure

April 15th, 2013, 17:12
Bethesda has news on there offficial blog that their work on Skyrim is concluded, and that aside from minor patches they won't release any more content.
Skyrim has been a labor of love for us since we started designing it in 2006. We never imagined it would become the phenomenon it has. And that is because of you, the fans. It was all of you who made it a success. We can’t thank you enough for embracing the game, spreading the word, and making it your own.

For the last year and a half we’ve been working on new content for Skyrim; from the game updates, Creation Kit, Steam Workshop, Kinect support, to DLCs. Parts of our team have also been in pre-production on our next major project, and that game is at the point where it requires the studio’s full attention to make it our biggest and best work yet.

Even though we’re moving on, we’ll still have minor updates to Skyrim as needed. We’ve invested so much of ourselves into Skyrim and will never truly say goodbye to it.

We loved hearing your stories, your in-game triumphs, and your suggestions. One thing stuck out to us through those emails, letters, and postings. And that is – video games matter. They’re as important to you as they are to us. It’s not just about entertainment, it’s about your time. And you chose to spend it with our game.

Thank you again for all your support. We hope you stay engaged in the gaming community here and elsewhere. Keep spreading the word. Games are the world’s best entertainment because they can do what other forms cannot – fill you with the wonder of exploration and the pride of accomplishment. We look forward to sharing our next adventure with you.

Until next time,
Bethesda Game Studios
More information.

"We must stand strong my fellow watchers against the horde of red trolls."- The Couchpotato

Couchpotato

LazyGamer
RPGWatch Team

April 15th, 2013, 17:12
Keep spreading the word.
My plan is, after I replay F:NV, and since the last Skyrim patch was huge, to replay Skyrim. No mods except if I find norespawn mod that does work.

And I WILL be spreading the word if it's finally polished or not. If it got polished, I'll buy DLC. If not, well, I'm not wasting more of my hard earned money on a fraud.

Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor

April 15th, 2013, 17:43
I was hoping for an official expansion to be announced at some point in time (or was Dragonborn it?), so I'm a tad disappointed. At the same time I'm excited because this means we're one step closer to an "ultimate" edition.

Ragnaris

Watchdog

April 15th, 2013, 18:28
Don't forget there is supposedly one or two more games ready for announcement. It's only a matter of when now. I will put my money on one being another Fallout game.

"We must stand strong my fellow watchers against the horde of red trolls."- The Couchpotato

Couchpotato

LazyGamer
RPGWatch Team

April 15th, 2013, 18:38
IIRC they said similar thing for Oblivion few months before Shivering isle(SI wasn't announced at that time) came out, so this might not be their final decision.

Nameless one

Keeper of the Watch

April 15th, 2013, 18:40
I've been waiting for an ultimate edition since release. When finally I do get down to try Skyrim, I want to do it with all available content and no fussing around.

Soulbane

Seeker of knowledge

April 15th, 2013, 18:54
Hmm. I suppose I should give some more thought to playing it, then. (I did start, but I got distracted by AC3 before I'd done more than scratch the surface.)

khaight

Watchdog

April 15th, 2013, 19:49
The last patch had it written on itself.
This will be on the next generation console so it will give a general idea of what can be expected in terms of SP games, Bethesda being one big reference.

ChienAboyeur

SasqWatch

April 15th, 2013, 22:10
I was hoping for more after they said their dlc's would be more like expansions.

Very disappointing run of dlc marred by lackluster content and Xbox 360 exclusives.

sakichop

SasqWatch

April 15th, 2013, 22:23
Yeah, disappointing. Was the new engine too buggy and difficult to work with? Or did they just get unmotivated? Considering how easy it was for the community to make bug fixes, I suppose the latter…

Thrasher

Wheeee!
RPGWatch Donor

April 15th, 2013, 22:47
Yup, I expected more as well.

Then again, I was getting sick and tired of all the issues with mods every time a new DLC or patch came out.

There's enough content in the game to last several playthroughs - so I'm ok with this.

Also, it means their next game will come sooner - and after Skyrim, I'll buy pretty much anything they put out.

DArtagnan

Waste of potential

April 15th, 2013, 23:13
I'll agree with you there. I'll probably revisit it with the DLC sometime, but not for a while, though.

Thrasher

Wheeee!
RPGWatch Donor

April 16th, 2013, 02:29
Also expected them to stay a bit longer on Skyrim. Maybe it wasn't a case of them "milking" the game but instead actually waiting till the plans and/or technology for the new generation is in place. Then again it could have been the lukewarm reception of the DLCs but they are too big for that kind of thing.

I'd just like to interject here and point out that I'm not going to say anything to spoil the mood, Chief. I'll just float here and watch. Don't mind me, just sitting here, floating and watching, that's me.

Kostas

Dormant Watcher

April 16th, 2013, 02:57
I haven't purchased any of the DLC (mostly due the XBox exclusive BS), so I look forward to possibly revisiting the game now that it's "done".

Drithius

Misbegotten Alien

April 16th, 2013, 04:38
Originally Posted by Couchpotato View Post
Don't forget there is supposedly one or two more games ready for announcement. It's only a matter of when now. I will put my money on one being another Fallout game.
I would put my money there, too, but my hopes are for a new space-based IP - maybe something along the lines of Rolemaster's Dark Space or TSR's Spelljammer.

Zloth

I smell a… wumpus!?

April 16th, 2013, 04:50
Originally Posted by Zloth View Post
I would put my money there, too, but my hopes are for a new space-based IP - maybe something along the lines of Rolemaster's Dark Space or TSR's Spelljammer.
I wonder who owns the IP of Spelljammer now? A updated engine with better graphics, but keeping the core concepts would be perfect.

Couchpotato

LazyGamer
RPGWatch Team

April 16th, 2013, 08:57
Following the patching sequence, it appeared that their engine was unforgiving. The island of Solthseim (dragonborn) shows how much handcrafted Skyrim was. They could not count on the reliability of the engine and had to check every event outcome to make sure.
Optimization ran the line. They could not squeeze much more. It showed though they have more in store in terms of game mechanics they could simply put together due to hardware limitations. Hopefully, they will get a new horse and be given more room to put up game features.
Already, their next game should show that, even though the next TES (SP) is going to be the final test.

ChienAboyeur

SasqWatch

April 16th, 2013, 09:12
Currently playing Skyrim. I never got very far when I first got it because I was in the middle of other games (damn backlog), but now it sucked me in.
So the DLC/expansion are dissapointing? Or just not quite up to "expansion" level? Should I get them? I'd appreciate hearing your opinions, as it's unlikely that I'll play them later because of said backlog. So it's now or never, I suppose.

GhanBuriGhan

Wose extraordinaire

April 16th, 2013, 09:49
I'm still waiting for Dragonborn to get a little cheaper before conducting my final sojourn with Skyrim. I'll be doing my best to build a mage oriented character.
Who knows, I may even hit level 40 before retiring from the game this time?
It'll very mcuh depend on the quality and suitability of the content which decides how far/long I'll play.

Diddledy high,
Diddledy low,
Come brave blood sheep,
You've a goodly way to go.
- Brilhasti Ap Tarj

Pessimeister

Living Backwards

April 16th, 2013, 12:09
Dawnguard is a bin to recycle some major features that did not make it in the original game where they supposed to be full features (like bandits taking one of your friends as hostage)
Dragonborn provides comparison material to understand what makes Skyrim the game it is.

Both are a valuable gaming experience for players interested in games. If you are interested in story, combat, exploration etc they might turn disappointing.

ChienAboyeur

SasqWatch

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Skyrim - Moving To Our Next Adventure