|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Games » The Elder Scrolls » TES V: Skyrim » Deleted Skyrim and reinstalled.

Default Deleted Skyrim and reinstalled.

December 12th, 2013, 05:42
Okay, I had tweaked my skyrim.ini and skyrimprefs.ini back in 2011 and the game ran like a champ. When I unistalled the game, to start with a clean slate, I didn't back those up. Anybody have those files tweaked out and ready to go? I hate setting that stuff up. I have a GTX 550 Ti, if anyone has a similar type card and has the game tweaked well, I'd be grateful if you uploaded the files. Otherwise, I'll be happy to copy and paste if someone just wants to dump the contents inside some spoiler tags.

Do we still need to do the 4GB stuff? What about multi-core? I have an i7 CPU 860@2.8GHz (8 CPUs) if that matters. Any help would be appreciated. I know Wolfgrimdark is a Skyrim graphics master, with all his mods.

'nut

crpgnut

Fantasy Novel Archmage
RPGWatch Donor

December 12th, 2013, 10:33
Deleted Skyrim
You did right. If only it stayed that way…

I have GTX 560 and didn't mess with anything ingame but within nVidia experience (tray) clicked "optimize" and it set Skyrim settings on ultra. And Skyrim runs perfectly. Not sure what tweaking you need.

Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor

December 12th, 2013, 14:57
If I ran vanilla Skyrim, I wouldn't need anything. I don't run vanilla

'nut

crpgnut

Fantasy Novel Archmage
RPGWatch Donor

December 12th, 2013, 15:05
Well I doubt you would like my ini (a lot of LOD dependent tweaks and I have also upped the Ugrids value). But unless I am gravely mistaken, Beth has already set the LAA flag on their executable quite a while ago. So no 4GB stuff necessary…

JonNik

SasqWatch

December 12th, 2013, 15:07
So you've basically turned the game into this:

And now it's a problem for your PC to find a needle in there. Poor PC.

Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor

December 12th, 2013, 15:07
I thought that too, Jonnik. The game is stuttering like crazy for some reason and I only have about 15% of my mods loaded. Something is up with it.

'nut

crpgnut

Fantasy Novel Archmage
RPGWatch Donor

December 12th, 2013, 15:14
Then you definitely don't want my ini if you are aiming for performance.

Stuttering is pretty weird. This game is usually butter smooth but I have less than half of your mods enabled…

Maybe wolfgrimdark will indeed be able to help if you go through your list of mods… The only other solution is a disable all enable one by one approach… Changed drivers recently ?

Do you use an enb ? Those things are pretty intensive (I have ssao off on my GTX670 to keep performance uniformly smooth i.e.)…

JonNik

SasqWatch

December 12th, 2013, 15:37
It might be ssao, but I don't aim for performance. I have W.A.T.E.R. installed and the bethedsa hd packs and killer keos' stuff and cbbe. Those are the only graphical mods so far. I had all of these and about 20 more before I decided to unistall and it ran very smooth. I'm sure it's an ini setting because I haven't touched my Nvidia settings since reinstalling. I had done a heavy tweak to the settings back at release and am hoping to avoid doing that. If you don't mind posting your files, I'll try them. What can it hurt?

'nut

crpgnut

Fantasy Novel Archmage
RPGWatch Donor

December 12th, 2013, 15:55
The 4GB stuff was patched at some point (3rd patch I think).

Bethedsa hd packs might have performance issues, I always install Skyrim HD 2K + vurt's flora personally.

SSAO is a resource hog…

Also, this dude posted his ini change online.

I don't remember changing my ini that much personally…

azarhal

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor

December 12th, 2013, 16:16
There was setting to increase view/draw distance. Anyone remember that please?

lostforever

Keeper of the Watch

December 12th, 2013, 16:18
.ini graphics tweaks

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/1387/?

Fluent

RPG Fiend
RPGWatch Team

December 12th, 2013, 16:28
Originally Posted by azarhal View Post
The 4GB stuff was patched at some point (3rd patch I think).

Bethedsa hd packs might have performance issues, I always install Skyrim HD 2K + vurt's flora personally.

SSAO is a resource hog…

Also, this dude posted his ini change online.

I don't remember changing my ini that much personally…
This is good stuff, thanks Az. I'll swap the texture packs and see how it goes. Also the hyperthreading may very well be the ticket. I don't remember seeing those in the files and it was definitely there before. I also read from several folks that they ran the Geforce Experience web app and their games ran like a champ afterwords. I'll try Geforce and then some of the ini stuff and see what happens.

Thanks, Fluent. There are a few more details in that guy's tutorial explaining exactly what is happening.

'nut

crpgnut

Fantasy Novel Archmage
RPGWatch Donor

December 12th, 2013, 17:14
Originally Posted by crpgnut View Post
It might be ssao, but I don't aim for performance. I have W.A.T.E.R. installed and the bethedsa hd packs and killer keos' stuff and cbbe. Those are the only graphical mods so far. I had all of these and about 20 more before I decided to unistall and it ran very smooth. I'm sure it's an ini setting because I haven't touched my Nvidia settings since reinstalling. I had done a heavy tweak to the settings back at release and am hoping to avoid doing that. If you don't mind posting your files, I'll try them. What can it hurt?
Well mine can mess up your game as they are all geared towards increasing visibility land shadows etc. I don't remember doing anything for performance at all…

More importantly I have upped the Ugrid setting which is a pretty heavy change and not one to do while still working on the stability and performance of your install.

Also I am disabling stuff that you may want to keep (i.e. the compass iirc).

I think you are on the right track trying out the stuff above.

I am attaching mine here though if you want to mess around with them at some point:
Spoiler – SkyrimPrefs

Spoiler – Skyrim.ini

JonNik

SasqWatch

December 13th, 2013, 02:35
Yep, I picked and chose through all the posts and I'm back in business. I think the threading seemed to help the most. Once I told the ini that I have multiple cores and to use them, it perked right up. I still added a bunch of other junk too though and I may use more. Thanks everyone!

'nut

crpgnut

Fantasy Novel Archmage
RPGWatch Donor

RPGWatch Forums » Games » The Elder Scrolls » TES V: Skyrim » Deleted Skyrim and reinstalled.