|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Neverwinter - Two Reasons To Try Neverwinter

Default Neverwinter - Two Reasons To Try Neverwinter

May 2nd, 2013, 21:44
I've played for a few hours now as a Great Weapon Fighter. Still need to try a few more classes and gain more levels to really evaluate it. The production values are pretty solid but I'm not totally sold on the gameplay yet. I guess it works pretty well as an action-RPG but I'm not sure if it lives up to the D&D name. Maybe the player-created Foundry content will be the most interesting part of this. I'll check it out for a while longer though - the jury is still out.

Originally Posted by Saxon1974 View Post
Do the powers from 4e exist in this game? I would think the target audience would be table top rpg'ers so why make an action game?
I've played tabletop 4E only a brief time (so I'm no expert), but Neverwinter seems only loosely based on it. It is heavily modified to fit the action combat. Positioning does matter somewhat at least.

I guess they went with an action game to pursue the widest possible market (action MMOs are the new trend) - but you're right, many traditional D&D fans will not take to this.

Myrkrel

Sentinel

May 3rd, 2013, 00:55
Advertisements have been all over the wizards d&d website. This makes me think table top rpg players are who they are targeting so I don't understand the action game reasoning. I mean there are many fantasy mmo's out there already. Wouldn't it make more sense to make a turn based game based on the core d&d rules if that is your audience? There wouldn't be much competition for a tactical strategy mmo's based heavily on the d&d ruleset. Bizarre.

My gaming group of about 7 people feel the same way. We would all be excited for this if it weren't another action game…but I think we are all going to ignore it. If its intended to promote d&d since its free to play I don't think its going to do that either.

Again weird…oh well

Saxon1974

Sentinel

May 3rd, 2013, 01:39
Originally Posted by Saxon1974 View Post
Wouldn't it make more sense to make a turn based game based on the core d&d rules if that is your audience? There wouldn't be much competition for a tactical strategy mmo's based heavily on the d&d ruleset. Bizarre.
Yeah I'm with ya there - I'd much rather see something like that to be honest. Ironically, their Facebook game (Heroes of Neverwinter) was turn-based and closer to the tabletop 4E experience (though of limited scope) and that was shut down.

But the other problem is 4E as a tabletop product is pretty much defunct now. All sights are on D&D Next or reprinting old editions at WotC.

Myrkrel

Sentinel

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Neverwinter - Two Reasons To Try Neverwinter