|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Games » General Non-RPG » EA get exlusive deal to make Star Wars games

Default EA get exlusive deal to make Star Wars games

May 8th, 2013, 12:05
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
I never finished Dark Forces despite playing the sequels. I remember trying to play it a few years ago, but the 320x200 resolution killed it for me. That game would be a good candidate for an HD remake.
There was a project to remake it in the Jedi Academy engine. I'm not sure what happened to it and I'm too lazy to google it.

I loved me some Dark Forces back in the day. That's what Star Wars is supposed to be, a rebel agent blasting some stormtroopers with nary a mention of sith or padawans to be found.

Menigal

Keeper of the Watch

May 8th, 2013, 13:31
I never finished Dark Forces despite playing the sequels. I remember trying to play it a few years ago, but the 320x200 resolution killed it for me. That game would be a good candidate for an HD remake.
Dark Forces is one of my 'once a year' games … what I really miss is the 'Mac Enhanced' version - it was double resolution with enhanced sound, and came out a few months after the PC version. After that I only played the Mac version until a few years ago when the last remnants of old Mac OS support were yanked …

One thing I love is the level design - great levels, but there are no saves - they are meant to be accomplished in one sitting. It makes for a great challenge.

— Mike

txa1265

SasqWatch

May 8th, 2013, 13:55
Originally Posted by Menigal View Post
There was a project to remake it in the Jedi Academy engine. I'm not sure what happened to it and I'm too lazy to google it.
They had made some progress on the JKII engine, then switched to Jedi Academy and released at least the first 6 levels … not sure because the site is dead at this point.

There was a Shadows of the Empire mod also, and it got to the first level as I recall … then died. There was a Jedi Knight project, not sure it got anywhere.

— Mike

txa1265

SasqWatch

May 8th, 2013, 14:46
Originally Posted by txa1265 View Post
Dark Forces is one of my 'once a year' games what I really miss is the 'Mac Enhanced' version - it was double resolution with enhanced sound, and came out a few months after the PC version. After that I only played the Mac version until a few years ago when the last remnants of old Mac OS support were yanked

One thing I love is the level design - great levels, but there are no saves - they are meant to be accomplished in one sitting. It makes for a great challenge.
Interesting, isn't it possible to run on some emulator ?

GothicGothicness

SasqWatch

May 8th, 2013, 14:56
They had made some progress on the JKII engine, then switched to Jedi Academy and released at least the first 6 levels not sure because the site is dead at this point.
Yeah, I remember playing that. The only thing that really sticks out in my memory is that they didn't adjust the accuracy of the stormtrooper rifle.

Menigal

Keeper of the Watch

May 9th, 2013, 01:32
Originally Posted by GothicGothicness View Post
Interesting, isn't it possible to run on some emulator ?
Yeah, I had 'Sheepshaver' emulator for a while but really wasn't worth the bother. I just play it in Steam at this point.

— Mike

txa1265

SasqWatch

May 9th, 2013, 01:56
Yeah, I had 'Sheepshaver' emulator for a while but really wasn't worth the bother. I just play it in Steam at this point.
Also, XL Engine - The same engine that aims to bring Daggerfall to modern hardware.

CrazyIrish

Keeper of the Watch

May 9th, 2013, 03:01
Originally Posted by CrazyIrish View Post
Also, XL Engine - The same engine that aims to bring Daggerfall to modern hardware.
Was that completed or is it still a work in progress?

JDR13

SasqWatch

May 9th, 2013, 12:35
Dark Forces I (as I still call it) is *still* banned in Germany !
In an recent printed gaming magazine there was a look back towards LucasArts with a list of all released games - Dark Forces I wasn't even mentioned ! The package was symbolized by a black rectangle, and the name substituted by the words "Indiziertes Spiel".

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction. (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

May 9th, 2013, 12:44
Wait, what? Why would Dark Forces be banned? Is punching a dragon to death frowned upon or something?

Menigal

Keeper of the Watch

May 9th, 2013, 15:07
Germany has always been very strict on that.

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction. (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

May 10th, 2013, 16:03
Was that completed or is it still a work in progress?
Still WIP, but unlike most similar projects the developer continues to release updates. So basically fingers are crossed

CrazyIrish

Keeper of the Watch

May 10th, 2013, 20:49
Originally Posted by CrazyIrish View Post
Still WIP, but unlike most similar projects the developer continues to release updates. So basically fingers are crossed
Thanks, I'll be sure to check that out. I gave up on his Daggerfall project because I doubt that will ever be completed, but hopefully he'll finish Dark Forces. It would be nice to be able to play that in hi-res.

JDR13

SasqWatch

RPGWatch Forums » Games » General Non-RPG » EA get exlusive deal to make Star Wars games