|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » BioWare - Dragon Age Qunari Symbol Creation

Default BioWare - Dragon Age Qunari Symbol Creation

May 10th, 2013, 05:30
BioWare programmer Owen Borstad has a new post on the official BioWare blog to explain how he created a Qunari logo/symbol from the Dragon Age series.
I spent a ridiculous amount of time playing with sizes, trying to figure out how big I wanted it, at what size to print it out, etc. I made a smaller version as a prototype, which looked decent even if I didn’t finish it (I don’t have a picture of this; it was destroyed in one of my trips to and from work). After making the prototype, I discovered I had it backwards (inside out), as I didn’t want my numbers to show when I finished making it, so I fixed that up, then re-exported and re-imported.

I finally decided how big to make it so as to fit on the wall, and saved out a PDF of the exploded structure (see PDF). I printed it on 11×17 Cardstock Ledger paper, and started cutting it out. I had to score the thing backwards to what the PDF said to do to keep the lines and numbers on the “inside” of the structure.

After gluing the back all together with thinly spread white glue and cutting/scoring every piece, I finally started assembling it. It turned out that gluing the “boxes” and then gluing to the back was the easiest way to put it together, and so I eventually finished gluing to the back, then worked on “zipping” the model together.

After a total of about 30 hours, I finally finished it, and cut a circular hole in the back by which to hang it, re-enforced the hole, and stuck it on the wall with a pushpin. And that’s how I came to be the prince of… oh, wrong story, anyway, that’s how I made the giant logo! I might do another one if I feel like it, or go do something completely different for my next project.
More information.

Couchpotato

LazyGamer
RPGWatch Team

May 10th, 2013, 05:30
Oooo… kay.

rjshae

Bob
RPGWatch Donor

May 10th, 2013, 05:37
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
Oooo… kay.
Well some people might find it interesting who knows.

"We must stand strong my fellow watchers against the horde of red trolls."- The Couchpotato

Couchpotato

LazyGamer
RPGWatch Team

May 10th, 2013, 09:22
Proves Bioware still does programmer graphics, which is always worth mentioning.

CraigCWB

Sentinel

May 10th, 2013, 13:42
Wait, a programmer did the Qunari paper symbol? The art team most be jealous.

azarhal

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor

May 10th, 2013, 18:24
The art team are not jealous because they are busy programming the game.

blackcanopus

Dark Sun

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » BioWare - Dragon Age Qunari Symbol Creation