Project Eternity - Post-funding Update #52

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Project Eternity has a new post-funding update that showsconcept art, and gives information on the monk class.
pe-monk-580x507.jpg

Monks in Eternity are different than you might expect. There are no restrictions on armor and weapons – you could wear plate and use a sword, if you wanted to, and the talent system is flexible enough so you could build a great monk that specialized in that gear. But at the core of this class is a little rule about how monks take damage. You see, when a monk gets hit, only part of the damage is inflicted on him or her immediately. The rest is redirected to a Wound, which is an effect that causes damage over time (called a DoT effect) to the monk. That slowly-ticking Wound would only seem to be delaying the inevitable result except for one thing: the monk can get rid of that Wound by using special attacks.

The monk gets all kinds of cool special attacks that do extra effects beyond simply damage and, as a side effect, also eliminate his Wounds. Some of their special attacks include:

• Torment’s Reach - this ability increases the range of melee attacks by 200% for a short duration. Enemies between the monk and his or her target are also attacked. Costs 1 Wound to activate.

• Turning Wheel - if the monk suffers from a DoT effect (including Wounds ticking down), he or she adds a proportional fire bonus to his or her melee damage. This is a passive ability which works automatically whenever the monk has any DoT effect.

• Clarity of Agony - when used, this ability cuts the duration of hostile status effects in half. It lasts for a brief amount of time, halving both incoming effects and ones that are currently on the monk. Costs 2 Wounds.
Each of these attacks makes monks stronger in battle, and many also consume their Wounds, hopefully before those Wounds have done the damage the monks were originally supposed to take.
Culture Concept

pe-cultures-580x318.jpg

Concept artist Kaz Aruga has been developing the look of some of Project Eternity's various cultures. So far, he's created concepts for people from the Dyrwood, the Vailian Republics, the Aedyr Empire, and the Valley of Ixamitl. We hope you like the range we've come up with. Let us know what you think!
More information.

Last edited:
Kind of... unimpressed, I dunno. Seems to be shaping up rather bland... :/
Ah well, maybe I have been spoiled by Torment and D:OS.

Kind of… unimpressed, I dunno. Seems to be shaping up rather bland… :/
Ah well, maybe I have been spoiled by Torment and D:OS.

A monk that convert damage to a DoT and can exploit it to create powerful attacks is bland?

ok...

Yeah, really cool mechanic.

The art doesn't show particularly well in that concept art, but might work well in-engine.

What the heck is D:OS?

Nice take on the D&D styled monk which, correct me if i am wrong, has only been really useful at mid/high levels before which they are crippled by lack of armor and useful abilities. Still doesn't stop me from playing them though :)

I like how Project Eternity is progressing! Now if only they would release a full-on gameplay video like Shadowrun Returns... :drool:

I tend to like systems that try to make sense. I hope they put some thought into the lore mechanics behind this "ability".

I tend to like systems that try to make sense. I hope they put some thought into the lore mechanics behind this "ability".

From what I've read of Josh Sawyer's descriptions, the PE Monk has elements of the medieval Flagellant, who sought to purify the soul through mortification of the flesh. Since magic in PE comes from the soul, this apparently powers up the Monk's attack forms.

A monk that convert damage to a DoT and can exploit it to create powerful attacks is bland?
ok…
It's not bland. Is it the basis for an entire character class? Why not have it be an optional Fighter feat and forget about Monks altogether?

I've never liked Monks and at this point they're so flavorless I can't see ever using one.

It's not bland. Is it the basis for an entire character class? Why not have it be an optional Fighter feat and forget about Monks altogether?

I've never liked Monks and at this point they're so flavorless I can't see ever using one.

Why do I have the feeling that you are saying it's flavorless because the Monk can use all armors and weapons? You do know that every other classes in PE can do the same thing right?

The Wound meter is the Monk class characteristic and it wouldn't work as a "feat". It's an entire feature that define how the Monk fight.

I was not referring to the monk in particular, but rather to the game in general.

The DoT mechanic just seems a little contrived to me, as if they thought really hard to come up with something that would make the player abandon armor and weapons without actually restricting him… which meh. IMHO, it only serves to complicate things.

Then again, maybe I am missing something. I'm not too familiar with "DPS", "Tank" and other combat mechanics, nor do I really care. I'm not big on powerplaying.

My issue is just that there are too many classes, just for the sake of having classes. Easy stretch goals, hm?

"Oh, darn, we crossed another goal, we need another quickly!"
"Hmm, what could we add…?"
"Let's add another class! People like classes!"

… times 10.

I was not referring to the monk in particular, but rather to the game in general.

The DoT mechanic just seems a little contrived to me, as if they thought really hard to come up with something that would make the player abandon armor and weapons without actually restricting him… which meh. IMHO, it only serves to complicate things.

They didn't thought really hard, a similar concept is used in the WoW monk class added by the latest expac (they call it Stagger). >.>

And each classes have an unique feature so far too and lore integration, they don't just exist in a vacuum.

They didn't thought really hard, a similar concept is used in the WoW monk class added by the latest expac (they call it Stagger). >.>

Ahh, I see. I am not familiar with WoW mechanics, as I stay as far away from MMOs as I can.

Anyhow, I'm not sure whether the fact they copied it from WoW makes it worse or better... :p

Back
Top Bottom