Dungeons & Dragons - Warner Bros. To Make D&D Movie

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
According to Flixist Warner Bros. is going to make a new film series about the fantasy role-playing tabletop game, Dungeons & Dragons. This is not the first time a D&D movie was made for the big screen.
Warner Bros. is set to develop a feature film franchise revolving around the fantasy role-playing tabletop game, Dungeons & Dragons. And before you ask, yes there was a previous Dungeons & Dragons that was made back in 2000 starring various actors such as Marlon Wayans, Jeremy Irons, and Thora Birch. Let’s just that it is a very, very bad movie.
Regardless, it seems that Warner Bros. is set on restarting the film franchise with a script from screenwriter David Leslie Johnson (Wrath of the Titans). Producing the film will be Roy Lee (Oldboy, How to Train Your Dragon) and Courtney Solomon who produced and directed the original Dungeons & Dragons. Also jumping on board is Allan Zeman who served as the executive producer of Dungeons & Dragons will be the executive producer for this as well. I believe there is a trend developing here and it isn’t a good one.
Hopefully Warner Bros. knows what they are getting into.
[via Collider]
More information.

This is going to be craptastic.

Part of the problem is they go into these things saying "Let's make a D&D movie" and not "Let's make a Planescape, Ravenloft, Dark Sun, or even Forgotten Realms movie." Another part of the problem is they then go get shit directors and writers. The screenwriter they're using isn't exactly known for being involved with good or all that successful films, though admittedly its almost impossible for the writing to be as bad as it was in the first one. The real sign that this will suck, besides just that it's a DnD movie, is that they actually went ahead and got people involved with the original to be involved with this one.

The problem isn't "let's make a D&D movie" - it's about not saying "let's make the best movie we can with the passion of our hearts".

Well, there is a Warcraft movie in the work too, it needs company at the bottom of crap movies...

Part of the problem is they go into these things saying "Let's make a D&D movie" and not "Let's make a Planescape, Ravenloft, Dark Sun, or even Forgotten Realms movie."

Oh, but you can make a real D&D movie. The story about how D&D got invented or something along that line. Very interesting, I bet.

;)

There was another D&D movie that was much better than the original one, and it had a much smaller budget (I think it went straight to DVD).

The problem isn't "let's make a D&D movie" - it's about not saying "let's make the best movie we can with the passion of our hearts".

Since I see saying "let's make a DnD movie" as meaning let's cash in on a lucrative tie-in and figure the rest out later, I think that is part of the problem and partly what you're saying. Also I think being excited about a setting, story, or sense of place is more likely to lead to a project of passion than being excited about franchise monetezation possibilities.

Yeah the direct to video sequel was quite a bit better. I was very surprised once they hit the scene with the ice dragon. I quite liked that cleric lol. Waylan destroyed the first movie in my opinion. I wanted him dead in the first 20 seconds. But even without him the movie would have failed. If the same crew is involved in this one there is sadly little hope.

The script and screen play for a D&D movie would not be that hard. Follow a group of people just starting out on an adventure. For old players like me, have it based on Keep on the Borderlands or some other classic module.

Give a shout out to Gary Gygax. People need to understand that a simple plot with good story telling and acting would have the best chance to succeed. They will mess it up most likely.

The best Game of Thrones episodes are the ones that follow just a few plot lines and not jump around every 5 mins. But what do I know, I am not in the 15 year old demographic.

Since Warner already owns Turbine, I bet it could be about Eberron.

I think the fantasy setting is very popular right now with LOTR and Hobbit doing so well. These execs really don't know all that much about "D&D", but figure it's an established franchise so why not try to cash in?

What they should be looking at is perhaps making the Dragonlance franchise, or something similar.

Last edited:
i will only watch it if the actors have no real names. THIEF, BARBARIAN, CLERIC, DRUID, WARRIOR, and WIZARD are the only acceptable names.

Sounds kinda dumb to me, tbh. Something so non-mainstream as D&D will never get the funding that projects like LoTR or Hobbit enjoyed, and therefore will look awful. Personally, the project I'd like to see on the table right after Game of Thrones is done is the Wild Card series done on tv or film.

-Carn

I agree that it's really hard to make a D&D game because there's just so much of the various worlds to explore. They'd be better of saying they are going to take a specific series (ala Dragonlance) and turn that into a movie than just say a D&D movie.

Part of the problem is they go into these things saying "Let's make a D&D movie" and not "Let's make a Planescape, Ravenloft, Dark Sun, or even Forgotten Realms movie." Another part of the problem is they then go get shit directors and writers. The screenwriter they're using isn't exactly known for being involved with good or all that successful films, though admittedly its almost impossible for the writing to be as bad as it was in the first one. The real sign that this will suck, besides just that it's a DnD movie, is that they actually went ahead and got people involved with the original to be involved with this one.

I was just about to post the same.

Do not write a "Dungeons & Dragons movie". Name the movie "Lords of Waterdeep". Slap D&D or "Forgotten Realms" on the movie poster, but make the movie about the political houses in a large town set in a fantasy world. Use the setting, not the system.

Nothing to see here but Hollywood producers looking to revisit a failed project of the past, too foolish to realize why they screwed up the first time around.

Is there -any- chance of a decent D&D movie?

Yeah. That's what I thought.

Back
Top Bottom