|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Dungeons & Dragons - Warner Bros. To Make D&D Movie

Default Dungeons & Dragons - Warner Bros. To Make D&D Movie

May 9th, 2013, 16:43
Originally Posted by killias2 View Post
Is there -any- chance of a decent D&D movie?
Conan the Barbarian is one of my favorite movies. Or did you mean a movie branded with the D&D license? Because those are far grimmer prospects

Drithius

Misbegotten Alien

May 9th, 2013, 16:53
Originally Posted by Drithius View Post
Conan the Barbarian is one of my favorite movies. Or did you mean a movie branded with the D&D license? Because those are far grimmer prospects
I've been sitting and trying to think of a half decent movie or show that's affiliated with D&D. The closest I could come up with are the decent anime (not amazing, but decent) Record of Lodoss War and Record of Lodoss War: Chronicles of the Heroic Knight. They aren't officially licensed, but they're openly based on a series of D&D campaigns in an original setting.

Any other thoughts? Books and video games don't count.

killias2

Sentinel

May 9th, 2013, 17:03
Another Drek & Drivel movie? Oh boy, can't wait…
Last edited by rjshae; May 9th, 2013 at 17:10. Reason: Fix

rjshae

Bob
RPGWatch Donor

May 9th, 2013, 17:25
Originally Posted by killias2 View Post
I've been sitting and trying to think of a half decent movie or show that's affiliated with D&D. The closest I could come up with are the decent anime (not amazing, but decent) Record of Lodoss War and Record of Lodoss War: Chronicles of the Heroic Knight. They aren't officially licensed, but they're openly based on a series of D&D campaigns in an original setting.

Any other thoughts? Books and video games don't count.
The D&D cartoon from the 80s is very good.

gandalf.nho

Huntress

May 9th, 2013, 18:41
Originally Posted by gandalf.nho View Post
The D&D cartoon from the 80s is very good.
Yeah, that was awesome …. or not. Hard to believe Gygax actually was involved in this show. Honestly I liked Futurama's take om D&D much better.

stealth

Sentinel

May 9th, 2013, 19:04
Originally Posted by wolfing View Post
There was another D&D movie that was much better than the original one, and it had a much smaller budget (I think it went straight to DVD).
Name ?

Twotricks

Sentinel

May 9th, 2013, 19:14
Originally Posted by Twotricks View Post
Name ?
Here you go both were released direct to DVD and shown on cable.

1.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dungeon…the_Dragon_God
2.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dungeon…_Vile_Darkness

"Beware the potato for he is easily angered."- Couchpotato

Couchpotato

LazyGamer
RPGWatch Team

May 9th, 2013, 19:21
Originally Posted by Couchpotato View Post
Here you go both were released direct to DVD and shown on cable.

1.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dungeon…the_Dragon_God
2.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dungeon…_Vile_Darkness
thanks

Twotricks

Sentinel

May 9th, 2013, 19:25
Oh dear, this has failure written all over it and will only do the franchise a disservice.

Thrasher

Wheeee!
RPGWatch Donor

May 9th, 2013, 19:31
Oh so they did release the third one after all. I thought it had remained in release limbo.

stealth

Sentinel

May 9th, 2013, 20:48
I only saw parts of the original movie as well as Wrath of the Dragon God. Both were so bad to me that I couldn't sit through them.

JDR13

SasqWatch

May 9th, 2013, 21:31
We already have The Gamers and JourneyQuest.

Courtney Solomon is an atrocious director. Worse than his Dungeons & Dragons movie was his An American Haunting pile of steaming crap.

Merin

'Author'

May 10th, 2013, 06:35
Originally Posted by azarhal View Post
Well, there is a Warcraft movie in the work too, it needs company at the bottom of crap movies…
Dungeon Siege was so great wasn't it?

Originally Posted by Drithius View Post
I often think that D&D in general is more based on the King Conan original short story of Conan where the aging ex-Barbarian king's empire collapses and he is captured and subject to a Wizard's grotesque experiments and entertainment. I believe that was the Conan that was in consideration before Arne became my governor.

Originally Posted by stealth View Post
Yeah, that was awesome …. or not. Hard to believe Gygax actually was involved in this show. Honestly I liked Futurama's take om D&D much better.
I agree with you on both counts; although the Futurama fans in general despise that episode. Its one of my favourites.

Originally Posted by Hastar View Post
The script and screen play for a D&D movie would not be that hard. Follow a group of people just starting out on an adventure. For old players like me, have it based on Keep on the Borderlands or some other classic module.

Give a shout out to Gary Gygax. People need to understand that a simple plot with good story telling and acting would have the best chance to succeed. They will mess it up most likely.
There were a number of those type of films at the time cashing in success of Conan. There's not much entertainment value in watching a bunch of stiffs slog through a dungeon unfortunately.

I heard The Sword and the Sorceror was good. Prett bloody.

btw, Save Arneson made an appearance in the D&D movie. I think he regretted the movie though it had been in the works for ages and there was some sort of dispute.

I swear someone here suggested the creation of D&D itself would have been a good idea for a movie.

Originally Posted by ChaosTheory View Post
I think the fantasy setting is very popular right now with LOTR and Hobbit doing so well. These execs really don't know all that much about "D&D", but figure it's an established franchise so why not try to cash in?

What they should be looking at is perhaps making the Dragonlance franchise, or something similar.
They would work as TV shows methinks. Eberron is just not D&D enough IMO - its more to the liking of Steampunk or the Age of Legends in Wheel of Time. Maybe they should get Salvatore or a Salvatore based script. That worked very well for BG.

Really, though, I don't think the Hobbit is doing nearly as well as they hoped.

Developer of The Wizard's Grave Android game. Discussion Thread:
http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22520

Lucky Day

Daywatch

May 10th, 2013, 08:50
Originally Posted by Lucky Day View Post
Really, though, I don't think the Hobbit is doing nearly as well as they hoped.
http://boxofficemojo.com/alltime/world/
14th in the all time box office grosses.they might have been expecting more but you wouldn't call it a failure as well.

KTs1980

Watcher

May 10th, 2013, 10:52
As much as I feel confident this will suck in a very big way - I'd still be more interested in a D&D movie than the next Hobbit movie from PJ.

DArtagnan

Waste of potential

May 10th, 2013, 12:16
I like Dungeons & Dragons: Wrath of the Dragon God. It's cheesiness was part of it's strength because it were allowed to take itself less serious. D&D:WotDG was more like a group of roleplayers decided to make a movie and go nerdy about it.

Mankind must put an end to war or war will put an end to mankind. - John F Kennedy
An eye for an eye, and soon the whole world is blind. - Mahatma Gandhi
The world is my country. To do good is my religion. My mind is my own church. This simple creed is all we need to enjoy peace on earth. - Thomas Paine

JemyM

Okay, now roll sanity.

Send a message via ICQ to JemyM Send a message via MSN to JemyM

May 10th, 2013, 13:35
Originally Posted by Lucky Day View Post
Dungeon Siege was so great wasn't it?
That was made by Uwe Boll, it's in a special category already.

azarhal

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor

May 10th, 2013, 14:36
Have anyone seen Dragonlance Dragons Of Autumn Twilight (2008)?

Mankind must put an end to war or war will put an end to mankind. - John F Kennedy
An eye for an eye, and soon the whole world is blind. - Mahatma Gandhi
The world is my country. To do good is my religion. My mind is my own church. This simple creed is all we need to enjoy peace on earth. - Thomas Paine

JemyM

Okay, now roll sanity.

Send a message via ICQ to JemyM Send a message via MSN to JemyM

May 10th, 2013, 15:46
I am Elminster of Shadowdale, called by some the Old Sage, and called far worse things by others. I've walked these realms for over a thousand years. Yet, I am far from the oldest, wisest, or mightiest being to walk the ground of Faerūn with my well-worn boots—and that is truth. But if ye learn the long history of my deeds, ye'll know precisely what I stand for and what I am. And that's a rare and precious thing, knowing yourself. Do ye know exactly what ye stand for?
The movie must be forgotton Realms and it has to include this guy because he has been there thru almost all of it. They need to use a setting most have heard of. Just don't cast Nicolas Cage in the part.

redman5427

Keeper of the Watch

May 10th, 2013, 17:27
Originally Posted by JemyM View Post
Have anyone seen Dragonlance Dragons Of Autumn Twilight (2008)?
I (unfortunately) bought the DVD. I love Dragonlance Chronicles, but that animated movie is horribly, awfully, dreadfully done.

Really bad. I strongly suggest skipping it entirely. Re-read the book instead.

Merin

'Author'

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Dungeons & Dragons - Warner Bros. To Make D&D Movie