|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » NWN2 - Baldur's Gate: Reloaded Mod

Default NWN2 - Baldur's Gate: Reloaded Mod

May 13th, 2013, 04:59
Thanks to a forum post by Fenris a mod for NWN2 came to my attention. The mod is called Baldur's Gate: Reloaded, and has a release date of June 1, 2013.

Baldur's Gate: Reloaded is a fan-made tribute and remake of the original Baldur's Gate using the Neverwinter Nights 2 engine.

The project started in November of 2006 and has slowly progressed since then towards completion. Our team size has varied throughout the course of development from as many as 5 members to as little as 1 member.

The planned release date is June 1, 2013. Both expansion packs to Neverwinter Nights 2, Mask of the Betrayer and Storm of Zehir, are required to play.

Contact Drew Rechner (http://www.facebook.com/drew.rechner) for any questions, comments, or concerns.

* This not-for-profit project is in no way affiliated with Bioware or any applicable parties and is a fan tribute to a great RPG experience. Basically, we love Bioware and Baldur's Gate and want to pay tribute to a great developer and a great game!
More information.

Couchpotato

LazyGamer
RPGWatch Team

May 13th, 2013, 04:59
Cool idea, although it's a pity it was done in the NWN2 engine. I honestly can't think of a worse-performing or buggier RPG engine to have chosen. And I enjoyed NWN2.

moonmonster

Watcher

May 13th, 2013, 05:27
the most popular PW for NWN2 is/was the Baldur's Gate world before they shut down Gamespy. Its no surprise to me they made this.

Honestly, the Aurora engine was a lot buggier when it came out. It would regular corrupt your mods and it was several patches in that they were forced to make a backup system before they got it stable.

That said, the Electron engine was completely counter-intuitive. Its like Obsidian went out of their way to ignore what NWN1 developers were used to believing they knew best because of their experience. There is no button system to move sideways for example last time I checked. Someone developed a hotkey plugin and that's about it. I could go on and on about the many mistakes they made such as the walkmesh requirement, not separating the walkmesh from the levels, the memory issues, not allowing builders to add animation at launch, etc. They even tried to pull the plug on the DM client.

Unfortunately, it meant the end of games like this.

Developer of The Wizard's Grave Android game. Discussion Thread:
http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22520

Lucky Day

Daywatch

May 13th, 2013, 05:58
Those guys showed admirable dedication in putting this together. It's an impressive effort that's taken many years to finish.

rjshae

Bob
RPGWatch Donor

May 13th, 2013, 11:06
BG on Aurora? Not interested.

Make it on REDkit. If that's too hard because of stats/skills tracking, the engine used in Drakensang comes in mind as another better option.

Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor

May 13th, 2013, 11:27
NWN2 engine is clumsy and slow - but you have to give them credit for putting in the effort.

DArtagnan

Waste of potential

May 13th, 2013, 12:02
Whichever engine it's done in it's gonna be outdated when released. At the time when they begun this project i suspect NWN2 was quite new. It makes very little sense in saying "well duh you should have made it with the just released RedKit or FarCry3 engine".. These type of TC's can easily take 5-10 years to create.

SiiiiLENCE the DISCOOOORD…

vurt

Serial Modderer

May 13th, 2013, 12:23
I assume this means we get the NWN2 classes and what not. Will be interesting to see how they balanced it all. It's no secret that D&D 3,5 has a lot of options that 2nd edition did not.

I'm definitely interested in seeing how this all turns out.

Maylander

SasqWatch

Send a message via MSN to Maylander

May 13th, 2013, 13:12
NWN2's engine is in good shape today. I didn't have any issues at all in my last play through. I was only on a 9800m GTX at the time. The only setting I dropped a notch from full was distant shadows. Once I got used to the camera control modes I was good to go.

"For Innos!"

ToddMcF2002

SasqWatch

May 13th, 2013, 14:41
Originally Posted by ToddMcF2002 View Post
NWN2's engine is in good shape today. I didn't have any issues at all in my last play through. I was only on a 9800m GTX at the time. The only setting I dropped a notch from full was distant shadows. Once I got used to the camera control modes I was good to go.
+1
I'm playing it now, and besides the camera glitches I'm not having any major issue.

Von Paulus

Sentinel

May 13th, 2013, 15:05
It's still slow and clunky with awful animations, unfortunately.

I don't mean slow as in poor framerate - but more in how everything feels weighed down by concrete or something.

The models look bad and amateur hour as well.

It's not THAT bad, but I think it's a bad choice to do much of anything with that engine.
Last edited by DArtagnan; May 13th, 2013 at 15:15.

DArtagnan

Waste of potential

May 13th, 2013, 15:49
lamenting about bad models and animations from a 2006 game in 2013 is pretty lame in itself. me and 2 roommates have played nwn2 twice multiplayer coop in that time period together and had zero issues.

cptbarkey

Sentinel

May 13th, 2013, 16:17
Originally Posted by cptbarkey View Post
lamenting about bad models and animations from a 2006 game in 2013 is pretty lame in itself. me and 2 roommates have played nwn2 twice multiplayer coop in that time period together and had zero issues.
It has nothing to do with time of release. Animations and models were bad in 2006 as well.

Stating opinions about games old and new is what happens on public forums dedicated to discussing games.

Consider staying away if you're not comfortable with people not liking the same things you like. Insulting people and calling them lame for holding opposite opinions is probably not going to do you many favors.

As for NWN2, I think it's a fine game and I've had great fun with it. The engine and the assets, however, are not very good.

We ARE talking about Obsidian - so it should come as no surprise.

DArtagnan

Waste of potential

May 13th, 2013, 16:24
Originally Posted by vurt View Post
These type of TC's can easily take 5-10 years to create.
Good. That means we won't see such travesty. As a game that needs TC because of too poor gfx by today's standards is Anachronox. Not BG.

Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor

May 13th, 2013, 17:06
Originally Posted by DArtagnan View Post
Consider staying away if you're not comfortable with people not liking the same things you like. Insulting people and calling them lame for holding opposite opinions is probably not going to do you many favors.
i think you are on the one uncomfortable really, aside from that fact thanks for sharing your opinion. even though its wrong.

cptbarkey

Sentinel

May 13th, 2013, 17:49
Looks awesome. I love NWN2 across the board. Will be good to have something new to play on it.

————————————————-

"Ya'll can go to HELL! I'm-a-goin' to TEXAS!"

- Davy Crockett

blatantninja

Resident Redneck Facist

May 13th, 2013, 18:35
In terms of building your own D&D modules and having a large set of mods available, NWN2 is still the best tool available. (Some may still argue for NWN.) Yes it's not perfect and it's not state of the art, but it is good enough for many gaming purposes.

rjshae

Bob
RPGWatch Donor

May 13th, 2013, 18:37
Animations and models is the least important thing to me in an RPG, as long as they aren't too goofy or anime. So I'd (conceivably) be happy with a BG port to the NWN 2 engine.
Last edited by Thrasher; May 13th, 2013 at 19:02.

Thrasher

Wheeee!
RPGWatch Donor

May 13th, 2013, 18:56
I'm really curious how Durlag's Tower turns out - it is one of my favourite Dungeons
Also I just like the 3.5 Rules more then the AD&D Rules that BG used. While Graphics are not important for me, it might be interesting to see the the environments in 3D.

The Germans are a cruel race. Their operas last for six hours and they have no word for "fluffy".

Captain Blackadder

Fenris

Proto-Nerd

May 13th, 2013, 19:00
There's an Icewind Dale mod for NWN2 already out - has anyone tried it?

http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view….detail&id=346

coaster

Utarg of Utarg

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » NWN2 - Baldur's Gate: Reloaded Mod