NWN2 - Baldur's Gate: Reloaded Mod

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Thanks to a forum post by Fenris a mod for NWN2 came to my attention. The mod is called Baldur's Gate: Reloaded, and has a release date of June 1, 2013.

Baldur's Gate: Reloaded is a fan-made tribute and remake of the original Baldur's Gate using the Neverwinter Nights 2 engine.

The project started in November of 2006 and has slowly progressed since then towards completion. Our team size has varied throughout the course of development from as many as 5 members to as little as 1 member.

The planned release date is June 1, 2013. Both expansion packs to Neverwinter Nights 2, Mask of the Betrayer and Storm of Zehir, are required to play.

Contact Drew Rechner (http://www.facebook.com/drew.rechner) for any questions, comments, or concerns.

* This not-for-profit project is in no way affiliated with Bioware or any applicable parties and is a fan tribute to a great RPG experience. Basically, we love Bioware and Baldur's Gate and want to pay tribute to a great developer and a great game!
More information.

Cool idea, although it's a pity it was done in the NWN2 engine. I honestly can't think of a worse-performing or buggier RPG engine to have chosen. And I enjoyed NWN2.

the most popular PW for NWN2 is/was the Baldur's Gate world before they shut down Gamespy. Its no surprise to me they made this.

Honestly, the Aurora engine was a lot buggier when it came out. It would regular corrupt your mods and it was several patches in that they were forced to make a backup system before they got it stable.

That said, the Electron engine was completely counter-intuitive. Its like Obsidian went out of their way to ignore what NWN1 developers were used to believing they knew best because of their experience. There is no button system to move sideways for example last time I checked. Someone developed a hotkey plugin and that's about it. I could go on and on about the many mistakes they made such as the walkmesh requirement, not separating the walkmesh from the levels, the memory issues, not allowing builders to add animation at launch, etc. They even tried to pull the plug on the DM client.

Unfortunately, it meant the end of games like this.

Those guys showed admirable dedication in putting this together. It's an impressive effort that's taken many years to finish.

BG on Aurora? Not interested.

Make it on REDkit. If that's too hard because of stats/skills tracking, the engine used in Drakensang comes in mind as another better option.

NWN2 engine is clumsy and slow - but you have to give them credit for putting in the effort.

Whichever engine it's done in it's gonna be outdated when released. At the time when they begun this project i suspect NWN2 was quite new. It makes very little sense in saying "well duh you should have made it with the just released RedKit or FarCry3 engine".. These type of TC's can easily take 5-10 years to create.

I assume this means we get the NWN2 classes and what not. Will be interesting to see how they balanced it all. It's no secret that D&D 3,5 has a lot of options that 2nd edition did not.

I'm definitely interested in seeing how this all turns out.

NWN2's engine is in good shape today. I didn't have any issues at all in my last play through. I was only on a 9800m GTX at the time. The only setting I dropped a notch from full was distant shadows. Once I got used to the camera control modes I was good to go.

NWN2's engine is in good shape today. I didn't have any issues at all in my last play through. I was only on a 9800m GTX at the time. The only setting I dropped a notch from full was distant shadows. Once I got used to the camera control modes I was good to go.
+1
I'm playing it now, and besides the camera glitches I'm not having any major issue.

It's still slow and clunky with awful animations, unfortunately.

I don't mean slow as in poor framerate - but more in how everything feels weighed down by concrete or something.

The models look bad and amateur hour as well.

It's not THAT bad, but I think it's a bad choice to do much of anything with that engine.

Last edited:
lamenting about bad models and animations from a 2006 game in 2013 is pretty lame in itself. me and 2 roommates have played nwn2 twice multiplayer coop in that time period together and had zero issues.

lamenting about bad models and animations from a 2006 game in 2013 is pretty lame in itself. me and 2 roommates have played nwn2 twice multiplayer coop in that time period together and had zero issues.

It has nothing to do with time of release. Animations and models were bad in 2006 as well.

Stating opinions about games old and new is what happens on public forums dedicated to discussing games.

Consider staying away if you're not comfortable with people not liking the same things you like. Insulting people and calling them lame for holding opposite opinions is probably not going to do you many favors.

As for NWN2, I think it's a fine game and I've had great fun with it. The engine and the assets, however, are not very good.

We ARE talking about Obsidian - so it should come as no surprise.

These type of TC's can easily take 5-10 years to create.
Good. That means we won't see such travesty. As a game that needs TC because of too poor gfx by today's standards is Anachronox. Not BG.

Consider staying away if you're not comfortable with people not liking the same things you like. Insulting people and calling them lame for holding opposite opinions is probably not going to do you many favors.

i think you are on the one uncomfortable really, aside from that fact thanks for sharing your opinion. even though its wrong. :lol:

Looks awesome. I love NWN2 across the board. Will be good to have something new to play on it.

In terms of building your own D&D modules and having a large set of mods available, NWN2 is still the best tool available. (Some may still argue for NWN.) Yes it's not perfect and it's not state of the art, but it is good enough for many gaming purposes.

Animations and models is the least important thing to me in an RPG, as long as they aren't too goofy or anime. So I'd (conceivably) be happy with a BG port to the NWN 2 engine.

Last edited:
I'm really curious how Durlag's Tower turns out - it is one of my favourite Dungeons :)
Also I just like the 3.5 Rules more then the AD&D Rules that BG used. While Graphics are not important for me, it might be interesting to see the the environments in 3D.

Back
Top Bottom