|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Grim Dawn - Preview @ Rock, Paper, Shotgun

Default Grim Dawn - Preview @ Rock, Paper, Shotgun

May 22nd, 2013, 08:49
Rock, Paper, Shotgun played the alpha version of Grim Dawn, and has posted a preveiw of the game.
This is alpha code, and just the first third of the game, but itís enough to sate my need to finally play the thing. And gosh, that titleís appropriate. It is, mostly in the right way, grim. Dark, gloomy, and mercilessly tough, itís the game Iím certain so many furious Diablo fans wanted D3 to be when they found out that had planned to feature colours. There seem to be two central pillars here: traditional, and difficult.
Which is a mighty good thing, I should add.
Itís extremely dark and bleak environments at first can look a little primitive, but you quickly realise the detail comes with study. Much has been done to the old Titan Quest engine, not least freeing the camera to rotate on the X axis, and you donít need frills when itís serious business. So you really already know what to expect: A Tetris inventory attached to a character sheet of square slots, basic stats embellished by a sprawling choice of skills, and hundreds and hundreds of monsters to left and right click all over.
More information.

Couchpotato

LazyGamer
RPGWatch Team

May 22nd, 2013, 08:49
Tried the alpha tonight. Could not, for the life of me, get a playable screen resolution that also gave me a working mouse. Perhaps the beta will have that ironed out.

Edit:
For what it's worth, I found the issue. Setting Windows global text display size to 150% messes with the game. Lowering it to 125% fixed the problem.
Last edited by Santos; May 23rd, 2013 at 08:52.

Santos

Ass-hat

May 22nd, 2013, 11:29
How does it handle getting rid of loot? Since they don't have a pet system like TL2 (and presumably Van Helsing). Do you have to portal to town every 5 minutes to empty your bulging loot bag?

Roq

Seeker
RPGWatch Donor

May 22nd, 2013, 12:19
Originally Posted by Roq View Post
How does it handle getting rid of loot? Since they don't have a pet system like TL2 (and presumably Van Helsing). Do you have to portal to town every 5 minutes to empty your bulging loot bag?
As far as I know it will be teleport only, but if game is anything like titan quest in that regard you won't have to vendor often since loot that is worth selling drops fairly rarely.

Nameless one

Keeper of the Watch

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Grim Dawn - Preview @ Rock, Paper, Shotgun