|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Dark Souls II - Deciphering Dark Souls 2

Default Dark Souls II - Deciphering Dark Souls 2

May 26th, 2013, 02:19
VG247 has an article about Dark Souls 2. The topic of the article is the games accessibility.
In truth, there is nothing on show here that offers any cause for alarm. No wholesale changes, recharging health or ill-advised cover mechanics to sully the series’ pure roots and challenging gameplay.

Instead, there is just that one nagging worry that without Miyazaki’s constant presence, the rest of the team might be tempted to tip the balance further in the player’s favour or face publisher pressure to chase a bigger audience by relaxing the firm hand that the first two titles maintained throughout.

Perhaps it’s unfair to be concerned or maybe it’s the unavoidable by-product being so invested in the franchise. I keep coming back to the idea that Miyazaki’s show-not-tell approach is completely at odds with so many other high-profile titles. Without him, will damaging sacrifices be made in a bid for mass-market acceptance?

Of course, neither Dark Souls nor Demon’s Souls were made by just one man. Therefore, I can only hope that those who worked alongside Miyazaki paid close attention to his methods and share his passion for treating players like intelligent adults. Ultimately, I want some of the mystery to remain intact so that I might savour the experience of figuring it out for myself.
More information.

Couchpotato

LazyGamer
RPGWatch Team

May 26th, 2013, 02:19
Accessible??? NO! I must have the game punish me with wasting my time during my time I have to waste playing the game or it would be a waste of my time playing the game in the first place.

Burress

Watchdog

May 26th, 2013, 12:14
Actually, I couldn't agree more, Burress.

Soulbane

Seeker of knowledge

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Dark Souls II - Deciphering Dark Souls 2