|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Fallout 2 - Retrospective @ PCGAMER

Default Fallout 2 - Retrospective @ PCGAMER

May 28th, 2013, 01:34
PCGAMER has a retrospective article on Fallout 2 with their next reinstall article.
F2ís real genius, though, is that thereís no assumption that you have to win every fight or see every possibility. Sure, if you come to New Reno sporting stolen power armor, youíll be a force to be reckoned with. More likely, however, youíll arrive as just another schlub, easily put down if you go around starting fights with the wrong people. Not being the ultimate badass changes everything. What little power and influence you accumulate in New Reno is earned, and itís more meaningful because of it. And thatís just the start.
You see, as a wanderer, you can never find home. You donít have to set foot in New Reno to finish Fallout 2, but if you do, youíll eventually have to leave. As with all the other towns you visit, however, your decisions have power. Who controls the streets? What happens to the drug trade? War may never change, but the world of Fallout 2 definitely does, and the one thing you can guarantee as the final credits roll is that however low New Reno sinks into depravity, nobody there will ever forget youóthe hero or villain they only knew as Arnold Swollenmember.
More information.

"It's quite simple my word is the law around here, and failure to comply means termination."

RPGWatch News Editor & Moderator

Couchpotato

Evil Potato Overlord
RPGWatch Team

May 28th, 2013, 01:34
Some years ago I played Fallout 1 & 2 every summer - these games never get boring.

For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong. - HL Mencken

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
RPGWatch Donor

May 28th, 2013, 01:54
I've replayed them so many times I really can't do it again. This year. Next year however, I will.

In fact, I can't remember I've replayed any other game so many times like FO1-2. Even those super/hyper looking GOTYs I replayed perhaps once only. Is it me or today's games are not developed with thinking on how to be interesting in each replay?

Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor

May 28th, 2013, 02:17
The only CRPG I replayed more:

Jagged Alliance 2

third place: Gothic 2: NotR

For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong. - HL Mencken

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
RPGWatch Donor

May 28th, 2013, 02:27
I have played Gothic 2: NotR so many times and I rarely replay games. Knights of the Chalice is #1 on my list with most replays. I played KotC all the way thru on hard core mode and that was no easy task. Some of the fights at the end were pretty nerve racking because if you die you die.

"From knowledge springs Power, just as weakness stems from Ignorance."

Hastar

Unspeakable

May 28th, 2013, 11:17
Originally Posted by HiddenX View Post
The only CRPG I replayed more:

Jagged Alliance 2
That's my situation, too. I played Fallout 2 so much I could probably write a walkthru for it right now that was pretty detailed, and I haven't played it in at least 5 years. I could write a strategy guide for Jagged Alliance 2, and I haven't played that since 2005. Back in the day when BIS and whatever Ian Currie's team was calling itself were still around, I used to think a Fallout RPG done with enhanced JA2 game engine and mechanics would be pretty much the perfect game.

CraigCWB

Sentinel

May 28th, 2013, 11:18
I've never played through FO2 or JA2

Always wanted to, however.

DArtagnan

Waste of potential

May 28th, 2013, 11:25
Originally Posted by DArtagnan View Post
I've never played through FO2 or JA2

Always wanted to, however.
That is pure blasphemy march over to GOG and buy the games right now mister.

"It's quite simple my word is the law around here, and failure to comply means termination."

Couchpotato

Evil Potato Overlord
RPGWatch Team

May 28th, 2013, 11:28
Oh, I've bought the games several times

DArtagnan

Waste of potential

May 28th, 2013, 11:41
Originally Posted by DArtagnan View Post
Oh, I've bought the games several times
Then that's even worse there collecting virtual dust. The poor neglected games. This also reminds me it's time to replay both again.

Couchpotato

Evil Potato Overlord
RPGWatch Team

May 28th, 2013, 11:43
Originally Posted by Couchpotato View Post
Then that's even worse there collecting virtual dust. The poor neglected games. This also reminds me it's time to replay both again.
Well, as for Fallout 2 - I've just never been a fan of the setting. It's too depressing and samey. I did complete Fallout, but only because it's not a very long game.

JA2 - however - I really have no idea why I've never completed it. I love the combat system to death and always did.

It's just one of those games I never got through - and I don't really feel like it

DArtagnan

Waste of potential

May 29th, 2013, 23:05
I never replayed the Fallouts, but I did replay the Gothics two zillion times. JA1, Deadly Games, and JA2 as well. I think these games are the top most replayed for me. Oh and of course, STALKER.

Soulbane

Seeker of knowledge

May 29th, 2013, 23:12
Fallout 1 is one of the few games I've replayed and finished multiple times.
I've replayed FO2 multiple times, but only finished it once I think.

Pladio

Guardian of Nonsense
RPGWatch Donor

Send a message via MSN to Pladio
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Fallout 2 - Retrospective @ PCGAMER