|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » EA Mythic - Former Mythic Boss on Closure

Default EA Mythic - Former Mythic Boss on Closure

June 1st, 2014, 14:01
Former studio boss Mark Jacobs shared a few of his thoughts on the EA closure of Mythic Entertainment earlier this week on Eurogamer.

Mythic Entertainment was more than any individual or game. It was made up of incredibly hard-working men and women who always did what they were asked. As a team, they never wavered in their commitment to making great games. I hope that if this is indeed the end of Mythic Entertainment, people don't forget the teams that worked so hard and treated their jobs as seriously and professionally as anybody could have wished. I will always remain incredibly proud of them all.
More information.

"We must stand strong my fellow watchers against the horde of red trolls." - Couchpotato

RPGWatch News Editor & Moderator

Couchpotato

LazyGamer
RPGWatch Team

June 1st, 2014, 14:01
Mythic Entertainment was more than any individual or game. It was made up of incredibly hard-working men and women who always did what they were asked.
So you tell them to jump from a skyscraper top and they do it.

I just lost a respect for those people. Gamers need an inovation, an evolution and a revolution, not sheep to follow DLCloving milk-em CEO.

Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor

June 1st, 2014, 16:46
Originally Posted by joxer View Post
So you tell them to jump from a skyscraper top and they do it.
Have you ever gone to work? You don't just waltz in and do whatever you like. You contribute towards the company you chose to represent however they need it.

The insane King of Orilios, Spazz Maticus.
-Heroes of Might and Magic IV

Theartofvincent

Watcher

June 1st, 2014, 17:09
bleh too much hersey and not enough fact.

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor

June 1st, 2014, 19:00
Originally Posted by Theartofvincent View Post
Have you ever gone to work? You don't just waltz in and do whatever you like. You contribute towards the company you chose to represent however they need it.
I don't work in development.
I work as support. We have procedures and have to follow them. Should.

Not me. For example some java app won't work on a PC. What I do unlike others who'd go reinstall this and that or create new profile and whatnot? I create a batch that runs the app directly through javaws. It doesn't work always, but usually does, it takes much shorter time than other "solutions" and my client, in this case my coworker, is very happy.

Yea, my boss is not always happy with me doing "shortcuts", but will he ever fire me? No. Because all those collegues are saying our team is awsome. And why are they saying that, I wonder.

By blindly following DLC/pay2win milkings Mythic didn't make their clients happy.
And now I'm happy their existence ended. Especially am happy for sacking their official site admin who left "we hire" on the site of now defunct company:
http://www.mythicentertainment.com/careers.php
Yea, he did what he was told to do and it was really a hard work to leave the site unchanged.

And are we, clients/audience, all saying that Mythic team is awsome? Hell it's a development company, if anyone, they should be creative and not a blind following orders team of mindless robots!

I just wish all those scammers in EA die already. That includes all those who scam others just because they were told to and didn't have guts to refuse it.

Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor

June 1st, 2014, 21:43
I have no doubt you are the reason your department is successful. Clearly you are legendary - or at least a legend in your own mind. Thanks for the giggle.

He did say they did what they asked, not what they were told. It's also one brief sentence out of one brief blurb about a company that existed for years.

I don't think Jacobs or Mythic always made great games or great decisions but they did make one of the better classic MMORPGs (DAoC) that had nothing to do with DLC or pay 2 win. That's the Jacobs/Mythic I elect to remember.

It was all down hill for them after that but nothing I'd clench up and poop out a diamond over.

Voqar

PC Gaming Snob

June 1st, 2014, 21:54
Using "it's the company line" as an excuse for your own actions, is a tragic norm in modern society.

As much as I think joxer is a bit "out there" - I have to say I appreciate his ability to think for himself.

A lot of drones could learn from that.

DArtagnan

Waste of potential

June 2nd, 2014, 03:38
What are you guys even talking about? Implementing a different route to the same result is hardly comparable to whimsically choosing an entirely different product you weren't paid to develop/produce.

Drithius

Misbegotten Alien

June 2nd, 2014, 11:16
That's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about people who let themselves be controlled out of fear of losing their job. That's the norm, and that's what's tragic - in my opinion.

That's giving yourself away, basically.

As for whether that's necessary or not, is subject to point of view. Personally, I don't think it's necessary in even half the cases where it's happening - and that people tend to let themselves be controlled because it's the easy short-term solution.

Then it becomes habit to just say: "it's my job, there's nothing I can do - and I need a job."
Last edited by DArtagnan; June 2nd, 2014 at 11:42.

DArtagnan

Waste of potential

June 2nd, 2014, 14:35
Originally Posted by Voqar View Post
I have no doubt you are the reason your department is successful. Clearly you are legendary - or at least a legend in your own mind. Thanks for the giggle.
I'm legendary only in League of Legends. The reason my department is successful is not just one man, perhaps you've seen too much of Rambo movies.

At my work I'm just a worker who uses his own brain, in RL I'm just a person that doesn't scam others and I expect the same thing from others too. Otherwise sorry, no respect from me, sheep are food, I eat meat. Don't feed the troll.

Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor

June 2nd, 2014, 14:51
I thought it was closed long ago… I was surprised they were still alive…. or maybe I just posted R.I.P. when EA bought them.

GothicGothicness

SasqWatch

June 2nd, 2014, 15:22
The games industry is a meat grinder, and it's shameful how multimillion dollar games are built on the unpaid overtime of talented people in their twenties.

my novel: bit.ly/dreamlandsbook

screeg

floating head

June 3rd, 2014, 21:51
Originally Posted by screeg View Post
The games industry is a meat grinder, and it's shameful how multimillion dollar games are built on the unpaid overtime of talented people in their twenties.
My inner cynic responds to this by : "This is Capitalism".

We have something here that is called the "Generation Internship". Fresh beginners in a profession get offtered internships and internships and internships and internships and internships and internships and internships - but NEVER a paid job. Because internships are sooooooooooo much more cheaper ! - For the firm.

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction. (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » EA Mythic - Former Mythic Boss on Closure