|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » BioWare - Announces Sonic the Hedgehog Handheld RPG

Default BioWare - Announces Sonic the Hedgehog Handheld RPG

June 22nd, 2007, 12:17
BioWare's sold out. Bitches.

Working too much could interfere with your drinking.

r3dshift

Sentinel

June 22nd, 2007, 13:29
Originally Posted by bjon045 View Post
It will be much the same as the Paper Mario RPG I think, in other words it is not really an RPG they just call it that so they can try to attract a different market as well as the market for fans of the series.
What is it ? I mean, did there really exist an P&P Mario RPG ???

I've never ever heard of this.

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

June 22nd, 2007, 14:49
yes there was a mario rpg, not much special.
Sonic as rpg HUH WTF i can't fidn the words.
I remeber alex the kid, it was a bit comparable too zelda (i mean finding weapons and better stuff) Alex had more rpg elements than sonic :s this seems all so strange to me, can't wait to see the result :LOL:

This is my way of the Ninja: I never take back my word

titus

Substitute Shinigami

Send a message via MSN to titus

June 22nd, 2007, 15:53
sonic the hedgehog RPG?

lol?

lol?

wtf?

— this just in: I am probably not as retarded as previously assumed!

Ammon777

Sentinel

June 22nd, 2007, 16:37
Don't write this game off just because it's Sonic and on a handheld. While they may not be for everyone, Nintendo had some really good Mario RPGs over the past decade or so. Sonic is basically Sega's answer to Mario, so this could be interesting. Plus, it's from Bioware, and they've already earned my respect, several times over.

bpstrat

Traveler

June 22nd, 2007, 16:39
Originally Posted by Surlent View Post
Wacky.

Can't wait to see how they combine Sonic with Epic shtorry and gay romances.
They need only look to the potential of its ardent fanbase.

Role-Player

Watchdog

June 22nd, 2007, 17:21
Originally Posted by Alrik Fassbauer View Post
What is it ? I mean, did there really exist an P&P Mario RPG ???

I've never ever heard of this.
It wasn't actually a pen & paper game. It was just called Paper Mario. It had a system that went from 2-D to 3-D — I think that the player could press a button to go from normal 2-D mode into 3-D mode and then switch back to 2-D mode from a different angle in order to get past an obstacle that was impossible to get by when things were 2-D from the other angle. I only saw it a couple of times, though, so I don't know much about it.

PatrickWeekes

Sentinel

June 22nd, 2007, 23:39
I just CAN NOT see myself trying to do a character build on a hedgehog. Not even if I get the option to give him longer fangs and claws.

Bart and Corwin should just admit that when it gets down to it, I will have the final say.

Cm

Sentinel of Light

Send a message via Skype™ to Cm

June 23rd, 2007, 05:53
I am neutral or indifferent to the issue.

However, as a matter of fact, Sega have multiple faces. One of them is that the publisher of Japanese language version of BG and NWN1 series.

Unre

June 23rd, 2007, 06:01
My little sister would sure love this game, though. She is crazy about Sonic dah Hedgehog.

— this just in: I am probably not as retarded as previously assumed!

Ammon777

Sentinel

June 23rd, 2007, 06:23
The more he levels up, the faster he goes…

The Wanderer

in paths untrodden
RPGWatch Donor

June 23rd, 2007, 11:26
Originally Posted by Ammon777 View Post
My little sister would sure love this game, though. She is crazy about Sonic dah Hedgehog.
Yes, maybe she is, but isn't Sonic dah Hedgehog a game only for the GBA, though?? Meaning that Sonic probably hasn't been out on the DS before??
I could of course be wrong….

And do you really think that your little sister would like to play game in which Sony has features, stats & abilities, and plays a role in roleplaying game, instead of just running as fast as he can, jumping, hopping, doing other stuff the get the golden rings…

I'm still wondering: who is buying this game ? Or what is the target demographics for this game ? Is it little children 8-12 years who love Sonic because of his speed, is it teenager 12-19 ? or is it grownups?

Over at adventuregamers.com there's a hefty discussion going on about this, too. Opinions on this are very divided, I can tell you. Why is this even remotely interesting ? Well, it is, because many members of the adventure community do have a Nintendo DS (lite) and they are neither little children nor teenagers, they are adults. I just wonder whether or not they will play such a game as Sonic RPG?

The RPG community is totally different from that of the platform/arcade community, and the last (failed) attempt to bring them together was with the (horrid) game Lionheart which gameplay clearly bore the marks of being made by a company used to making arcade games.

Anyway, I prefer to open about this….but remain skeptical of this whole endeavor…

aries100

Keeper of the Watch
RPGWatch Team RPGWatch Donor

June 25th, 2007, 16:38
Originally Posted by aries100 View Post
Yes, maybe she is, but isn't Sonic dah Hedgehog a game only for the GBA, though?? Meaning that Sonic probably hasn't been out on the DS before??
I could of course be wrong….
You are several kinds of wrong

Sonic has been around for many years, and was a Sega console exclusive for a while, then branched out. There have been many games on many platforms over the years, including Sonic Rush on the DS that my older son loves (but is really pretty hard).

I think this is interesting - I don't have an immediate 'yay' or 'nay' on it. I'm not a huge Sonic fan, but it is cool platform stuff for handhelds. I am a huge DS lover and very much a Bioware fan … so I am positively biased in favor of likely buying this on day of release.

— Mike

txa1265

SasqWatch

June 25th, 2007, 17:05
I dont know about any of you, but I strangely have the urge to bust out the old sega now and play some sonic….

xSamhainx

Paws of Doom

June 25th, 2007, 19:26
And for those who haven't got a Sega: http://sonic-the-hedgehog.freeonlinegames.com/

Steam | Google

Asbjoern

N'wah

June 25th, 2007, 23:46
Sonic was a great arcade game, i still remember how incredible it felt compared to slow and fat plumber Mario. Its a shame that I sold my good old megadrive.. A decision which i regret.

However combining rpg and sonic sounds too weird for my taste… And besides I don't even own any handheld console.

Dez

Watcher of The Keep

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » BioWare - Announces Sonic the Hedgehog Handheld RPG