Quantcast
Damn you windows update - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Games » General Non-RPG » Damn you windows update

Default Damn you windows update

February 11th, 2015, 01:26
Damn you windows Update! DAMN YOU! It's been 20+ years of annoying!!! Gaahhhhh Sorry that was a LONG time coming. I feel better now.
--
If I'm right but there is no wife around to acknowledge it, am I still right?

TheMadGamer

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

February 11th, 2015, 01:42
When we got rid of Windows at work, that was the number one thing people mentioned - no more damn Windows Updates wasting your time at the worst moments.

It's because they made Windows too monolithic, rather than modular - almost every little change affects the major central pieces of the OS, so requires ending the user session, or a reboot.

Ripper

Little England Refugee

February 11th, 2015, 01:44
LOL
Cmon those updates happen once per month. This batch is about 100 Mb only, there were bigger ones in the past.

We're talking about win7 I hope.
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

February 11th, 2015, 02:12
I always turn off windows update, and do it manually once every 6 months. I don't want another memory sink program running in the background.

In fact I turn off any program updaters on my computers.

SpoonFULL

SasqWatch

February 11th, 2015, 02:29
Thanks for reminding me to do the update before I go home.

Thrasher

Wheeee!

February 11th, 2015, 02:52
Errr, waiting 6 months sounds like a bad idea. Those security updates also double as announcements to hackers giving them clues on how to take advantage of whatever is getting updated.

Zloth

I smell a… wumpus!?

February 11th, 2015, 02:59
I agree that I am annoyed by Windows Update and the probably extremely minor updates. I dislike MSI with all of my being and I think Microsoft forces the reboots unnecessarily out of caution. I'm pretty sure they have the ability to replace .NET assemblies on the fly leaving the running instances using a redirected DLL in a temp path until all of the applications using shut down.

Having said that I've never had an instance of a Microsoft patch in like 10 years breaking anything that I can recall that required it to be rolled back (which is always option BTW). Usually its nvidia drivers or something breaking things which I can't exactly blame MSFT for.

Anyway, I have far more issues trying to patch my Linux servers than I do Windows so they go unpatched far longer than the Windows servers do. I'm afraid to patch glibc for GHOST after having a problem with my apache server requiring a full reinstall back in the day. Windows Update is basically fire-and-forget reboot when its done.

The only thing I dont like is Windows does not have a Install Updates and Reboot option when doing manual updates. Why not MSFT? You have Install and Shutdown so it shouldn't be that hard. On servers you don't shutdown almost ever but you do reboot.

figment

Keeper of the Watch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

February 11th, 2015, 03:10
"…and I think Microsoft forces the reboots unnecessarily out of caution."

It's because us developers beg them to do it. Otherwise people leave our programs running for months!

Zloth

I smell a… wumpus!?

February 11th, 2015, 03:32
Originally Posted by Thrasher View Post
Thanks for reminding me to do the update before I go home.
Originally Posted by Zloth View Post
Errr, waiting 6 months sounds like a bad idea. Those security updates also double as announcements to hackers giving them clues on how to take advantage of whatever is getting updated.
Originally Posted by SpoonFULL View Post
I always turn off windows update, and do it manually once every 6 months. I don't want another memory sink program running in the background.

In fact I turn off any program updaters on my computers.
I did that and got a rootkit

Every few months I find a huge lists of complaints in my hotmail junk folder from the spam bot sites now warning me my emails were rejected. Why in God's green earth these spam sites don't automagically reject senders email address that don't match the server they were sent from is beyond me. I can't even warn them to do that.
--
Developer of The Wizard's Grave Android game. Discussion Thread:
http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22520

Lucky Day

Daywatch

February 11th, 2015, 03:33
I leave windows update on, but I changed a setting so it downloads by itself automatically, and doesn't bug me with popups. When I go to shutdown instead of 'Shutdown' now it says 'Update and shutdown', totally transparent to me.

wolfing

Dalek SasqWatch

February 11th, 2015, 05:47
I usually do windows updates manually. But for whatever reason, it was on automatic. I wish my angry post was because Windows update interrupted something important. It has in the past, many times.

But no, today I just about to beat Smelter Demon on NG+1 in Dark Souls 2 (I have a freakin hard time with this boss) when my controller suddenly lost its connection and before I could remedy it, I was killed since my character was just standing there like an idiot. Turns out a windows update interfered with my controller. Grrr…. that is so annoying. Windows update always happens at the most annoying possible moment, like they're watching me on some crazy video camera… hmmm better look into my Samsung Smart TV voice recognition and make sure it's off.
--
If I'm right but there is no wife around to acknowledge it, am I still right?

TheMadGamer

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

February 11th, 2015, 12:47
Originally Posted by TheMadGamer View Post
I usually do windows updates manually. But for whatever reason, it was on automatic. I wish my angry post was because Windows update interrupted something important. It has in the past, many times.

But no, today I just about to beat Smelter Demon on NG+1 in Dark Souls 2 (I have a freakin hard time with this boss) when my controller suddenly lost its connection and before I could remedy it, I was killed since my character was just standing there like an idiot. Turns out a windows update interfered with my controller. Grrr…. that is so annoying. Windows update always happens at the most annoying possible moment, like they're watching me on some crazy video camera… hmmm better look into my Samsung Smart TV voice recognition and make sure it's off.
Ouuuch I feel your pain!

GothicGothicness

SasqWatch

February 11th, 2015, 13:05
I see only one cure to this "problem".
Uninstall grinders!
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

February 11th, 2015, 22:04
With no save points, and only checkpoints.

Thrasher

Wheeee!

February 11th, 2015, 22:39
Yea! Or ask for refund on bad consoleports!
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

February 12th, 2015, 01:13
Originally Posted by joxer View Post
I see only one cure to this "problem".
Uninstall grinders!
I have had a long day and even longer week. Thank you that made me laugh..

CelticFrost

SasqWatch

February 12th, 2015, 05:38
Update in the middle of a game? Not here. I've got mine set to just notify me. When there's an update (typically the 2nd Tuesday of each month) then it tells me before I really get started with anything so I can look it over and do it right then. The rare times one pops up while I'm doing something then I just wait until I'm done and do it then.

Faster internet and faster SSDs should make these even less painless as those technologies spread.

Zloth

I smell a… wumpus!?

February 12th, 2015, 12:15
Well, I bet it is set to notify now instead of automatic… at least when his doing dark souls gaming

GothicGothicness

SasqWatch

February 12th, 2015, 12:34
Originally Posted by wolfing View Post
I leave windows update on, but I changed a setting so it downloads by itself automatically, and doesn't bug me with popups. When I go to shutdown instead of 'Shutdown' now it says 'Update and shutdown', totally transparent to me.
This seems to be the default behavior in Windows 8. I haven't changed a thing, and that's exactly how it works for me. I know I got the annoying restart prompts in Windows 7, but it looks like it's a thing of the past.

Maylander

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Send a message via MSN to Maylander

February 12th, 2015, 16:03
I didn't know this.
On my win7 popup appears and asks me if I want to restart right now or not and I can postpone it for later.
If there was any chance I ever switch to win8, it's now completely gone.
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

RPGWatch Forums » Games » General Non-RPG » Damn you windows update