|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » KoA: Reckoning - The beauty of Kingdoms of Amalur

Default KoA: Reckoning - The beauty of Kingdoms of Amalur

July 14th, 2013, 05:25
Well most of us here have various opinions about Kingdoms of Amalur, but a writer at VentureBeat tries to explain the beauty of the game to the readers.

There are a few games I hype up like crazy. This is one of them. I know a lot of people donít like the ďcartoonyĒ style of it. This isnít a childish cartoon though. It just doesnít have realistic graphics. It confuses me that people donít like it just because of the actual fantasy styled art direction. Fantasy is the reason I play video games, read comic books, and watch cartoons!

I only have eight hours played on Skyrim but I can easily lump the two games in the same category. They have a similar style of gameplay. I definitely like the duel-casting in Skyrim though. Theyíre both enormous, and I canít stress that enough about KoA. Iíve heard the same of Skyrim and Iím sure itís true. But I have fifty-six hours played on KoA so I can attest to that one more, for now.

Why Do I Love It?

Well, first of all the graphics are incredible. Donít stop reading! Of course thatís not even half of the reason, or the main reason. But graphics do matter. Theyíre the first thing you see, and theyíre your eye-candy through every second of a game. The art was done by one of my all time favorite comic book artists, Todd McFarlane! Yeah! So awesome! And I can see the love he and the other artists put into this game man. Every single part of the world breathes life. Everything moves. Plants come to life as you walk past them. Tree leaves blow in the wind. Shadows are also always alive. I donít want to mislead you though. Not every single plant you come across will come to life, but at least half of them do. Itís amazing.
More information.

Couchpotato

Evil Potato Overlord
RPGWatch Team

July 14th, 2013, 05:25
When did Fluent start working at VentureBeat?

JDR13

SasqWatch

July 14th, 2013, 09:27
Skyrim and KoA in the same category? So much more to do in Skyrim than just run around killing stuff. TES is my preferred game for "living" in a fantasy world. KoA…saw no reason for staying in a location after all the quests there are done. Eventually, I didn't even care for sidequests anymore.

If he spent 56 hours on just one character in KoA, I'm thinking nothing's a challenge anymore. Just doing the main quest and running on the highest difficulty was easy enough. Actually spending 56 hours grinding (and that's mostly what KoA was to me) would make the game lose what little challenge it had.

On the other hand, I can go way beyond just 56 hours on 1 character in a TES game and easily into the hundreds, other characters considered. To be fair though, I can barely spend 10 on the unmodded game so…

SonOfCapiz

Sentinel

July 14th, 2013, 09:58
KOA was an okay game, but not great.

It was a first (too ?) ambitious try for a new crprg franchise.

For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong. - HL Mencken

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
RPGWatch Donor

July 14th, 2013, 17:17
As the type who loves doing sidequests, I can easily agree on the time. According to Steam I played Amalur for around 75 hours before beating it. I don't disagree with the assessment that it was easy, though I found Skyrim quite easy as well. Neither game was a bastion of difficulty.

Caidh

Watchdog

July 14th, 2013, 18:02
An underrated gem. Sure it had its flaws but it was really enjoyable to play.

For some weird reason, many TES fans considered it as some sort of threat and decided to denigrate it, pouring scorn and hatred upon it. Why can't somebody enjoy a TES game and KoA simultaneously? Fanboys are weird…

Dr. A

Keeper of the Watch

July 14th, 2013, 18:08
I'm trying to work up the motivation to actually play KoA, mostly because I need something to do after finally deciding that Wizardry 8 is a derpfest. But this… article doesn't really do a good job of it

"In Grimwhoah, you can ride on turtles."

Sacred_Path

Basement Horror

July 14th, 2013, 18:35
I'd suggest waiting for a Steam sale (maybe soon) for KoA and it's 2 add-ons. If the whole bundle is priced at $30 or less, I would say it's a great offer.

Dr. A

Keeper of the Watch

July 14th, 2013, 19:24
Originally Posted by Dr. A View Post
An underrated gem. Sure it had its flaws but it was really enjoyable to play.

For some weird reason, many TES fans considered it as some sort of threat and decided to denigrate it, pouring scorn and hatred upon it. Why can't somebody enjoy a TES game and KoA simultaneously? Fanboys are weirdÖ
I agree with you. In spite of its flaws, I've really enjoyed playing the game.
More than 100 hours, not bad.

Von Paulus

Sentinel

July 14th, 2013, 20:59
Originally Posted by Dr. A View Post
I'd suggest waiting for a Steam sale (maybe soon) for KoA and it's 2 add-ons. If the whole bundle is priced at $30 or less, I would say it's a great offer.
I actually got it in a sale, it's just sitting there. Ah well, I think I'll give it a try. I know what to look out for now (moving trees & other flora )

"In Grimwhoah, you can ride on turtles."

Sacred_Path

Basement Horror

July 14th, 2013, 21:04
$30?!
I got KoA for 5 bucks a month or so ago on Origin. And I wouldn't pay more for endless respawn grinder. Didn't bother with DLC. If there was respawn stopper DLC, I'd pay 50$ for it.

Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor

July 14th, 2013, 21:30
Originally Posted by joxer View Post
$30?!
I got KoA for 5 bucks a month or so ago on Origin. And I wouldn't pay more for endless respawn grinder. Didn't bother with DLC. If there was respawn stopper DLC, I'd pay 50$ for it.
Hah, I wonder if it was some obscure junk game you would like it better.

If you don't stand behind your troops, feel free to stand in front.

rune_74

SasqWatch

July 14th, 2013, 21:34
Obscure, junk, whatever but no-endless-respawn? Sure, I'm giving it a shot any day. Gimme link please.

Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor

July 14th, 2013, 23:45
Why compare KOA to Skyrim at all? I suppose they are both big but that's about it.

Skyrims setting and combat are more realistic whereas KOA's is cartoony and arcade like. The lore is totally different.

Skyrim is open world, KOA is not. It's broken into several different areas and if you actually just set off to explore these areas you will lock each area at it's lowest level and effectively break the game as nothing will be a challenge at all.

Therefore to keep any kind of difficulty you need to play area by area.

The settings and atmosphere's are also totally different. I really can't see how someone could play one and be reminded of the other. They feel totally different to me in just about every way.

sakichop

SasqWatch

July 14th, 2013, 23:45
KoA may not have been obscure, but it sure was junk.

Stingray

Sentinel

July 15th, 2013, 01:07
Originally Posted by Stingray View Post
KoA may not have been obscure, but it sure was junk.
Oh whatever, it was well made..sure it had some growing pains as a irst game for the company but it had a lot going for it.

If you don't stand behind your troops, feel free to stand in front.

rune_74

SasqWatch

July 15th, 2013, 01:57
I can't say it was junk… Can't force myself to start playing it to find out. Still hoping some modder will do it right.

Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor

July 15th, 2013, 02:36
Joxer, you sure are a harsh critic of respawns

Dr. A

Keeper of the Watch

July 15th, 2013, 02:47
Originally Posted by Sacred_Path View Post
I'm trying to work up the motivation to actually play KoA, mostly because I need something to do after finally deciding that Wizardry 8 is a derpfest.
I'm not sure what a "derpfest" is, but given the choice, I would choose Wizardry 8 over KoA in a heartbeat.

JDR13

SasqWatch

July 15th, 2013, 03:55
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
I'm not sure what a "derpfest" is
Neither am I. Will someone please translate this?

Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » KoA: Reckoning - The beauty of Kingdoms of Amalur