|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition - Short Talk with Trent Oster

Default Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition - Short Talk with Trent Oster

June 25th, 2013, 20:44
And here was I waiting for Planescape: Torment enhanced edition…

arthureloi

Visionary Vampire

June 25th, 2013, 21:06
As I remember it, didn't Atari get the rights to Baldur's Gates games as well as the rights to Planescape: Torment etc. when EA bought Bioware? (way back in 2007-2008).

Why can't Atari simply sell the rights to the Baldur's Gates games (back) to Bioware/EA?

Please support http://www.maternityworldwide.org/ - and save a mother giving birth to a child.

aries100

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Team RPGWatch Donor

June 25th, 2013, 21:25
I'm sure Atari's creditors are looking for the best buyer for the BG and PT IP rights. I doubt Obsidian could afford it. Too bad. So do you think these are among Atari's most valuable IPs? It would be interesting to know…

Thrasher

Wheeee!
RPGWatch Donor

June 25th, 2013, 21:31
Originally Posted by Carnifex View Post
Man, this really sounds awful, poor BG 2 EE. I was really looking forward to seeing what Beamdog would do with the second game.

-Carn
While disappointing, I have full faith that the mod community can make a reverse version of TuTu that puts BG2 into the BG:EE engine. I'm sure that would be a massive amount of work, but alot of the ground wor k is already done in terms of importing one game into another. Main issue would be the quality of the artwork, but then that was also the biggest complaint with BGEE anyway.

————————————————-

"Ya'll can go to HELL! I'm-a-goin' to TEXAS!"

- Davy Crockett

blatantninja

Resident Redneck Facist

June 26th, 2013, 12:02
So they decided to make a game they didn't have the rights for? Why would I feel sorry for them? That's just dumb. Listen, you either have the rights or you don't.
The people who modded for BG 1 in the first place at least had the sense not to make a business out of it.

Riddam

Watcher

June 26th, 2013, 12:09
Of course, they had obtained the rights to make the game. (from Hasbro/Wizards of the Coast who owns the D&D license!) And probably also? from Atari…..

However, Trent Oster and Beamdog couldn't know that Atari would file for bankruptcy (chapter 11 or Chapter 7) in 2013 when they started making the EE version of BG1 in

Please support http://www.maternityworldwide.org/ - and save a mother giving birth to a child.

aries100

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Team RPGWatch Donor

June 26th, 2013, 19:11
It seems wrong that Atari's creditors or Atari itself can cancel a legal agreement they had with Beamdog because of bankruptcy, unless it included a line that said that Atari's creditors or Atari can take away the right to distribute from Beamdog at any time.

Thrasher

Wheeee!
RPGWatch Donor

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition - Short Talk with Trent Oster