|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Dragon Commander - Let's Play One Turn

Default Dragon Commander - Let's Play One Turn

June 27th, 2013, 06:06
A new video from Divinity: Dragon Commanderoffers an in-depth look at gameplay. The clip features Swen Vincke as he plays through one turn in the game's single-player campaign.
loading…

Swen takes us through one turn of Dragon Commander where he shows all aspects of the game.
More information.

Couchpotato

Evil Potato Overlord
RPGWatch Team

Man, I hope this looks like fun to some of you. I was bored to death, but then again, I don't play army games. To me, it looks like a massive waste of money and resources and time that could have been spent on a crpg

'nut

crpgnut

Fantasy Novel Archmage
RPGWatch Donor

It looked pretty neat to me at least

Steam: Galaad97

Galaad

Sentinel
RPGWatch Donor

Send a message via MSN to Galaad Send a message via Skype™ to Galaad

June 27th, 2013, 06:15
Originally Posted by crpgnut View Post
Man, I hope this looks like fun to some of you. I was bored to death, but then again, I don't play army games. To me, it looks like a massive waste of money and resources and time that could have been spent on a crpg
Well to each there own looks good to me. I play more than just CRPG's anyway. I don't know what you excepted as we knew from the beginning it's a RTS/RPG hybrid.

"It's quite simple my word is the law around here, and failure to comply means termination."

RPGWatch News Editor & Moderator

Couchpotato

Evil Potato Overlord
RPGWatch Team

June 27th, 2013, 11:38
This looks like a lot of fun. Can't wait. I got this while backing the Divinity kickstarter, and while I did it mostly to support Larian, it looks like I'm getting a fun game out of it(2 fun games if you count original sin)

Yme

Sentinel

June 27th, 2013, 12:33
Stop being so narrow-minded.

JDR13

SasqWatch

June 27th, 2013, 12:38
Pledged for this in the d:OS Kickstarter also. RTSs aren't by any means my favourite genre, but they can be quite fun as long as the number of units you have to control doesn't get out of hand. Also there seems to be a quite a mix of genres here. I did think the NPCs tended to rabbit on a bit in the demo and notice that made even Sven a bit impatient to move on.

Roq

Seeker
RPGWatch Donor

June 27th, 2013, 14:27
I don't like RTS. I suck at them, I enjoy watching the battles too much, and that is a no-no, you're supposed to be issuing orders all over the map all the time.

wolfing

Wonders what SasqWatch is

June 27th, 2013, 20:03
I agree.

Dagar

Watcher

June 27th, 2013, 20:04
Can you pause and issue orders? Those are the only RTS games I play, sadly there aren't a huge number of them.

coaster

Utarg of Utarg

June 27th, 2013, 20:24
Originally Posted by coaster View Post
Can you pause and issue orders? Those are the only RTS games I play, sadly there aren't a huge number of them.
My impression from reviews is that RTS part is fast paced so no pause.It does make sense since Swen Vincke is big fan of starcraft.

Nameless one

Wizzard

June 27th, 2013, 20:43
Yeah, that's the first thing I thought when watching the RTS battle ("looks like Starcraft"). I hope for pause, so I can look rather than just frantically issue orders.

Thrasher

Wheeee!
RPGWatch Donor

June 27th, 2013, 23:21
Larian just released the D:OS pledge management and offered Dragon Commander beta to everyone with a DC tier. I'm not watching that video

Bundyo

Watchdog

June 27th, 2013, 23:25
I think they said earlier, that players can tweak their main character to be more fight oriented than strategy oriented. So you can at least somewhat migitate if you dont like RTS that much.

If you hate RTS, however, I fear that'll never be enough.

(Of course, if you dont like the dragon action part either, that's too bad.)

Cacheperl

Sentinel

June 28th, 2013, 05:03
Loved the look - took me forever to enjoy RTS and still only like a few, definitely not my fave genre.

I grabbed this as part of backing Original Sin, but will enjoy playing!

— Mike

txa1265

SasqWatch

June 28th, 2013, 08:12
Looked over this.

Then looked at my email - new update regarding Wasteland 2, complete with new screenshot! Huzzah!.

Huge disparity in interest between those two Which is not to say I won't play DC, but I likely won't bother playing it at launch unless you guys pump out raving anecdotes.

Drithius

Misbegotten Alien

June 28th, 2013, 12:00
I think this looks like a lot of fun. Pretty fast-paced though, I'll have to see if I get used to that, usually prefer a little slower RTS games.
But a minor dissapointed to me is that the scenes on the mothership seem to be static - basically graphical menus. I had assumed we'd be able to walk around on the Raven, Mass Effect Style, and I had looked forward to that because I really like the visual design of it.
Last edited by GhanBuriGhan; June 28th, 2013 at 13:30.

GhanBuriGhan

Wose extraordinaire

June 28th, 2013, 12:54
Yes they are static in the sense that you cannot move around. The characters you talk to are animated, but that's it. The RPG part is all about interaction with the inhabitants on the ship, diplomacy, making choices and experiencing the consequences. There is no exploring the ship.

Computer n. A machine which flawlessly performs the instructions it is given, no matter how flawed those instructions may be.

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

June 28th, 2013, 16:12
It's not really a big deal, just a misinterpretation of what was shown previously on my part. Always hurts if a feature is taken away, even if it was an imaginary one

GhanBuriGhan

Wose extraordinaire

June 28th, 2013, 19:26
Anyone try out the beta yet who can answer the question about issuing orders while paused? This is a deal-breaker feature for me in a RTS.

Capt. Huggy Face

Magicky Utok

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Dragon Commander - Let's Play One Turn