|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » DarkSpore - Pulled Off Steam and DRM Problems

Default DarkSpore - Pulled Off Steam and DRM Problems

July 2nd, 2013, 22:30
Originally Posted by Roq View Post
Many devs don't even bother to port their games to Android and there's hardly a game on the platform that wasn't first released on IOS. I've heard all the arguments that the pirates wouldn't buy the games anyway, but really they are nonsense…
Imagine if I was a pirate. Would I really bother to pirate smartphone games? Really and honestly, would I?
I've just emptied my trashcan. I need no junk, even if it's a "freebie". There is your answer Roq.

Would pirates really deal with crap from smartphones? If not for the reason above, then for a reason if someone is really stupid to pay for those stuff, then let him enjoy his stupidity and moneywasting.

Toka Koka
joxer is offline

joxer

joxer's Avatar
The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor

#21

Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 6,178

Default 

July 2nd, 2013, 22:58
Originally Posted by joxer View Post
Imagine if I was a pirate. Would I really bother to pirate smartphone games? Really and honestly, would I?
I've just emptied my trashcan. I need no junk, even if it's a "freebie". There is your answer Roq.

Would pirates really deal with crap from smartphones? If not for the reason above, then for a reason if someone is really stupid to pay for those stuff, then let him enjoy his stupidity and moneywasting.
If you were a pirate, I'm sure that you'd have all smartphone gamers walking the plank. Now what was your point?
Roq is offline

Roq

Seeker
RPGWatch Donor

#22

Join Date: May 2012
Location: Somerset/London UK
Posts: 978

Default 

July 2nd, 2013, 23:17
LOL
Nah, I could never kill one just because he chooses to be stupid. Instead, I'd make them pay at least double for smartphone crap they buy.

Toka Koka
joxer is offline

joxer

joxer's Avatar
The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor

#23

Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 6,178

Default 

July 3rd, 2013, 01:52
I don't understand the comparison with IOS and Android since with a quick check you can see that there is much more piracy of IOS games then Android games and it is at least as easy to do it on IOS as it is on Android.

PS. Joxer: Unlike what you and other people on here think not every mobile game is a stupid piece of crap and there are some decent rpgs on it.
guenthar is offline

guenthar

SasqWatch

#24

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,568
Send a message via Skype™ to guenthar

Default 

July 3rd, 2013, 03:13
Originally Posted by guenthar View Post
I don't understand the comparison with IOS and Android since with a quick check you can see that there is much more piracy of IOS games then Android games and it is at least as easy to do it on IOS as it is on Android.

PS. Joxer: Unlike what you and other people on here think not every mobile game is a stupid piece of crap and there are some decent rpgs on it.
care to suggest your personal favorites? say top 5?
SonOfCapiz is online now

SonOfCapiz

Sentinel

#25

Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 346

Default 

July 3rd, 2013, 04:54
Originally Posted by guenthar View Post
I don't understand the comparison with IOS and Android since with a quick check you can see that there is much more piracy of IOS games then Android games and it is at least as easy to do it on IOS as it is on Android.
That's nonsense as any non partial research should tell you (just ask the devs!). People argue that the reason for the much higher Android piracy rate is that Google's distribution is faulty so many users couldn't buy the apps even if they wanted to. Maybe, maybe not, but reasons don't matter to the devs that make the apps, what matters is how many apps they sell. Really arguments that piracy doesn't affect software sales are about as coherent as the ontological argument for the existence of god.
Roq is offline

Roq

Seeker
RPGWatch Donor

#26

Join Date: May 2012
Location: Somerset/London UK
Posts: 978

Default 

July 3rd, 2013, 19:15
Originally Posted by RampantCoyote View Post
This 10x. I fear this is the future of gaming. But the average gamer, with an attention span of a gnat, isn't going to care.
Wow, so you're congratulating DArtagnan on his 111,110 post?

This was quite an interesting escapade. I had completely forgotten about this game being a Maxis game. It makes all their problems in Sim City even less excusable now. It's also another black eye for EA - a company that has somehow managed to generate three times as many black eyes as they have employees in the company.

But another interesting thing is that EA/Maxis DID turn around and fix this thing. Steam drops the game from their catalog, the media gets in on it, and all of the sudden man hours appear from nowhere to fix the game. I wonder if Amazon and others dropped the game, too? They certainly won't be pleased when EA is giving them keys to sell for a game that is dead.
Zloth is offline

Zloth

Zloth's Avatar
I smell a… wumpus!?

#27

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 2,823

Default 

July 3rd, 2013, 19:33
I can't guess what their reasons were, but I could imagine the bad optics of a fairly recent game (2 years old-ish?) being dropped like that and becoming the poster child for why Always On DRM is a horrible idea must have been a contributing motivator to the sudden, quick fix…
RampantCoyote is offline

RampantCoyote

RampantCoyote's Avatar
Sentinel

#28

Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 584

Default 

July 4th, 2013, 08:01
Originally Posted by Roq View Post
That's nonsense as any non partial research should tell you (just ask the devs!). People argue that the reason for the much higher Android piracy rate is that Google's distribution is faulty so many users couldn't buy the apps even if they wanted to. Maybe, maybe not, but reasons don't matter to the devs that make the apps, what matters is how many apps they sell. Really arguments that piracy doesn't affect software sales are about as coherent as the ontological argument for the existence of god.
I really hadn't checked in awhile but it looks like in the last few months the amount of Android games available to pirate has grown exponentially since just a few months ago I had actually checked on how much pirated games were on the internet for Android games and found far more IOS games then the Android games I was actually looking for but now it is much easier to find Android games then it was before. It doesn't really matter much though since most games you can just get for free right off of Google Play and you only need to buy a few games.

PS. I can't remember what games I was playing on my phone since I haven't really tried to put them back on since I had to re-flash my firmware after it had stopped working awhile ago.
guenthar is offline

guenthar

SasqWatch

#29

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,568
Send a message via Skype™ to guenthar
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » DarkSpore - Pulled Off Steam and DRM Problems
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT +2. The time now is 14:01.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright by RPGWatch