|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » Steam DDoS

Default Steam DDoS

January 4th, 2014, 18:19
So a trolling group has been DDoS'ing Steam on and off it seems for a couple days. The effect has been to bring down the storefront and community features, though game-downloads, library access, login ability, updates, etc. seem to remain more robust and accessible in the face of it.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2014/0…-ddos-attacks/

EDIT: to confirm, I am currently able to download games from my library at over 2MB/s though multiple sources confirm the storefront is not able to serve up pages.
jhwisner is offline

jhwisner

Keeper of the Watch

#1

Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,472

Default 

January 4th, 2014, 19:22
Dunno about Steam but a few days ago Origin was down because of DDoS attack. Not that anyone was unhappy since there was no Bioware Points sale and there is no Sims 3 proper patch.

Toka Koka
joxer is offline

joxer

joxer's Avatar
The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor

#2

Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 4,621

Default 

January 4th, 2014, 19:52
Steam, Origin, and Blizzard were all hacked on the same day. Must of been a very pissed off fan. Nothing online is safe despite what companies tell you.

"Beware the potato for he is easily angered."- Couchpotato
Last edited by Couchpotato; January 5th, 2014 at 00:15.
Couchpotato is offline

Couchpotato

Couchpotato's Avatar
LazyGamer
RPGWatch Team

#3

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Potato Land
Posts: 7,829

Default 

January 5th, 2014, 16:41
SWTOR was affected as well - and, yes, there had been one very drunk & very pissed off fan in the SWTOR forums before the incident …

“ Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage – to move in the opposite direction.“ (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)
Alrik Fassbauer is offline

Alrik Fassbauer

Alrik Fassbauer's Avatar
TL;DR

#4

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Old Europe
Posts: 15,607

Default 

January 5th, 2014, 17:48
they seem to be going after one guy in general who has some popular podcast about League of Legends or something.

Its not one fan but someone makes an announcement on twitter and ever idiot that identifies himself with this group jumps in. Its not even activism; its simply trolling in their minds.

Developer of The Wizard's Grave Android game. Discussion Thread:
http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22520
Lucky Day is online now

Lucky Day

Lucky Day's Avatar
Daywatch

#5

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: The Uncanny Valley
Posts: 3,119

Default 

January 6th, 2014, 16:42
Trolling becomes the worst menace of The Internet Age.

“ Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage – to move in the opposite direction.“ (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)
Alrik Fassbauer is offline

Alrik Fassbauer

Alrik Fassbauer's Avatar
TL;DR

#6

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Old Europe
Posts: 15,607

Default 

January 10th, 2014, 13:27
jhwisner brought this up : http://arstechnica.com/security/2014…ynch-protocol/

This kind of reminds me of 911 : Something people never thought of would be feasible was in fact used by a group of people …

“ Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage – to move in the opposite direction.“ (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)
Alrik Fassbauer is offline

Alrik Fassbauer

Alrik Fassbauer's Avatar
TL;DR

#7

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Old Europe
Posts: 15,607

Default 

January 10th, 2014, 14:37
Originally Posted by Alrik Fassbauer View Post
jhwisner brought this up : http://arstechnica.com/security/2014…ynch-protocol/

This kind of reminds me of 911 : Something people never thought of would be feasible was in fact used by a group of people …
I see your point, but personally, I wouldn't (and I know you don't mean to) compare 911, a massacre, with taking down game sites,

On a significantly more bizarre scale: many years ago, here in Norway a tax on gambing on horse race was introduced. Needless to say, representatives of the horse racing organization weren't too pleased. One of them compared it to Holocaust.

pibbur

d++a58e++TU4567'!S'!89!AW!ML!uC++++u+++uF+++nR——nS ++++wC—-o++++wS——uLB++++
pibbur who is offline

pibbur who

pibbur who's Avatar
Number 13

#8

Join Date: May 2012
Location: Bergen, Norway
Posts: 859

Default 

January 10th, 2014, 22:23
Is it still going? My steam doesnt start at all.

"99.9% of all internet arguments are due to people not understanding someone else's point. The other 0.1% is arguing over made up statistics."-unknown poster
"Those who dont read history are destined to repeat it."– Edmund Burke
zakhal is online now

zakhal

zakhal's Avatar
HomelyRebel

#9

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Europa Universalis
Posts: 2,930

Default 

January 10th, 2014, 22:57
not that I'm aware of. Still online and have been for the past few days as well.

Speak your own words of wisdom instead of quoting someone else's.
NyxVampiria is offline

NyxVampiria

NyxVampiria's Avatar
Semidevilish

#10

Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: in a figment of my imagination
Posts: 172

Default 

January 10th, 2014, 23:01
I've had intermittent problems with Steam myself, but it usually clears up.

If God said it, then that settles it!!

Editor@RPGWatch
Corwin is offline

Corwin

Corwin's Avatar
On The Razorblade of Life
RPGWatch Team

#11

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Australia
Posts: 10,248
Send a message via Skype™ to Corwin

Default 

January 12th, 2014, 17:48
I was able to log with laptop once I shut the steam servce from background. However I cant log with my main pc either online or offline. Currently I cant log even through browser. I have over 200 games on steam so cant say I am okay with his. First time something like this happened though.

Seems like login details are because if I use wrong ones I get different error message. Ok so steam worked ok for six years on this pc but now it suddenly invented some network problem.

I click steam error help link and it sends me to "internal server error" page. Great.

Trying to go to support.steampowered.com but get same internal server error. Just wonderful. I didnt want to play my games anyways.

"Cannot connect to steam network"
http://forums.steampowered.com/forum…d.php?t=666141

Now it just started to work. What ever glitch it was its gone now.

"99.9% of all internet arguments are due to people not understanding someone else's point. The other 0.1% is arguing over made up statistics."-unknown poster
"Those who dont read history are destined to repeat it."– Edmund Burke
Last edited by zakhal; January 12th, 2014 at 18:19.
zakhal is online now

zakhal

zakhal's Avatar
HomelyRebel

#12

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Europa Universalis
Posts: 2,930

Default 

January 12th, 2014, 18:57
Be patient with this, every day some new popular site/service is under overspammed requests which result in denial of service problem. Yesterday I've seen in the news about DDoS on some torrent search sites which could be seen as kinda odd since those sites are usually connected partially to piracy. Didn't see anything mentioned today but definetly will be later.

It's probably a bunch of nolife cretins who don't care who is on the other side but take a random target and overspam it. More popular the site is, more chance those imbeciles will take it onto their tooth. Luckily the problem gets solved eventually, so if something doesn't work right now, comes back in a day or two.

And for those who suspect it on Anonymous, the answer is no. Because of recent DDoS on League of Legends servers and rumors Anonymous did it, they've released a vid denying any connection to those things additionaly stating when Anonymous really does something, they do inform the audience themselves.

Toka Koka
joxer is offline

joxer

joxer's Avatar
The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor

#13

Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 4,621

Default 

January 13th, 2014, 13:38
Originally Posted by pibbur who View Post
I see your point, but personally, I wouldn't (and I know you don't mean to) compare 911, a massacre, with taking down game sites,
You don't see the big picture.

Whast is important is the mind-set : Take something tiny, and use it. No-one expects you to kill people with pebbles, for example - but something looking so unimportant as pebbles can be deadly if accellerated enough.

It's "hiding in plain sight" : Take something no-one would expect to be used, ever.

And THAT was the only way the americans could be surprised by 911 : They were ready for everything but not ready for THIS.

The danger lies in the mind-set of finding holes in an defense. In 911, the defense was lying in using planes. No-one espected it - and that was why they were used.

Hackers do something similar. Use something you don't expect harm to come from. That's the dangerous mind-set.

Like this time protocol. Never considered as a source of harm before - and that was why it was chosen.

You need to look at the big picture.

“ Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage – to move in the opposite direction.“ (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)
Alrik Fassbauer is offline

Alrik Fassbauer

Alrik Fassbauer's Avatar
TL;DR

#14

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Old Europe
Posts: 15,607

Default 

January 13th, 2014, 14:30
Oh, I see the big picture, and I understood what you said completely. I just felt that selecting an event causing 3000 people being murdered as an example in this context was, for lack of words - improper.

I may very well be too touchy, and I don't expect you - or anyone else - to agree with me,

pibbur

d++a58e++TU4567'!S'!89!AW!ML!uC++++u+++uF+++nR——nS ++++wC—-o++++wS——uLB++++
pibbur who is offline

pibbur who

pibbur who's Avatar
Number 13

#15

Join Date: May 2012
Location: Bergen, Norway
Posts: 859

Default 

January 13th, 2014, 14:36
Originally Posted by Alrik Fassbauer View Post
snip.
lol wow. You know, there comes a time when that mind set can become paranoia..and that's pretty damn close to it.
If someone decides to hack steam one day and it's down for a few hours, I'll move on and find something else to do. If there's a freakin airplaine shooting in various houses in my town, killing people, I'd freak out.

Speak your own words of wisdom instead of quoting someone else's.
NyxVampiria is offline

NyxVampiria

NyxVampiria's Avatar
Semidevilish

#16

Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: in a figment of my imagination
Posts: 172

Default 

January 13th, 2014, 15:38
Originally Posted by NyxVampiria View Post
snip.
I never freak out.

If there was a mass murdering scheme going on nearby, big deal. Maybe I die. Maybe not. Eventually I *will* die.
There are too many of us on this planet and the planet needs an enema. ASAP. Yesterday.
No birth control? Okay, there are weapons then and there is a natural reason sociopaths are born.

What paranoia feels like? Never could explain that to myself.

Toka Koka
joxer is offline

joxer

joxer's Avatar
The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor

#17

Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 4,621

Default 

January 13th, 2014, 19:23
Originally Posted by pibbur who View Post
Oh, I see the big picture, and I understood what you said completely. I just felt that selecting an event causing 3000 people being murdered as an example in this context was, for lack of words - improper.

I may very well be too touchy, and I don't expect you - or anyone else - to agree with me,

pibbur
To understand how people "work" and think, it is - in my opinion - important to abstract the sheer result from the original thginking - because that's what terrorists do as well. Or maybe, they do it, pursueing the premise of "how do we kill as many people as possible meanwhile remaining undetected as long as possible" ?

Any terrorist can succeed only if undetected. If we want to detect them, we must follow their thoughts.

This is, however, not undangerous. Because those who are weak in character might use this knowledge one day - there *have* been assassinations using plans from the internet.

I think that this is what a profiler does : Trying to find out which wayss an terrorist might go.

But in the end, there is also the danger of installing an surveillance state - with things like "pre-crime" written on its flags.

I tend to believe that history repeatrs itself - only in different scales. Human behaviour is in part predictable. If found out which conditions make people do what, then we might be able to install firewalls there.

Until then, robbers will try to break into banks to steal money.
If they build actual tunnels, they remain undetected and might even succeed.
There *have* been tunnels built. Yet no-one expected them.

“ Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage – to move in the opposite direction.“ (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)
Alrik Fassbauer is offline

Alrik Fassbauer

Alrik Fassbauer's Avatar
TL;DR

#18

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Old Europe
Posts: 15,607
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » Steam DDoS
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT +2. The time now is 22:54.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright by RPGWatch