|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » UnderTale - A RPG Where No One Has To Get Hurt

Default UnderTale - A RPG Where No One Has To Get Hurt

July 2nd, 2013, 02:45
Under Tale is a another kickstarter RPG that deserves a look. The game is already funded and even has a demo to try.

A long time ago, two races ruled peacefully over the Earth: HUMANS and MONSTERS. One day, a terrible war broke out between the two races. After a long battle, the humans were victorious. They sealed the monsters underground with a magical spell.

In the year 201X, a small child scales Mt. Ebott. It is said that those who climb the mountain never return.

Seeking refuge from the rainy weather, the child enters a cave and discovers an enormous hole. Moving closer to get a better look… the child falls in. Now, our story begins.

Although UNDERTALE is an original game, the demo has already received many favorable comparisons to the MOTHER (Earthbound) series, specifically MOTHER 3. Other have compared it to Cave Story, the Shin Megami Tensei series, Touhou, and Homestuck.

Existing features:

- Fighting is wholly unnecessary: negotiate your way out of danger using the unique battle system.
- Time your attacks for extra damage, then dodge enemy attacks in a style reminiscent of top-down shooters.
- Use the format of a video game to tell the story: traditional fourth-wall breaking tropes such as "SAVING," "EXP," and "LV" are an intergrated part of the game's world.
- Obligatory puzzles. Lots and lots of obligatory puzzles.
- Original art and soundtrack brimming with personality.
- Captivating story with an emphasis on humor.

Planned features:

- Become friends with all of the bosses!
- Hilariously bad dating sim segments!
- Seriously, you can literally have a robot husband.
More information.
Last edited by Couchpotato; July 2nd, 2013 at 07:44.

Couchpotato

LazyGamer
RPGWatch Team

July 2nd, 2013, 02:45
As far as Earthbound inspired things go I don't think much tops Dubloon, a quirky pirate themed freeware RPG with more variety, detail and polish than you'd even expect.

This could be cool though.
Last edited by Al3xand3r; July 2nd, 2013 at 07:27.

Al3xand3r

Watcher

July 2nd, 2013, 14:42
Looks horrible, but maybe I just don't understand it. Certainly the humor went over my head. Maybe this is some kind of retro thing and appeals to those who played old console games when they were kids?

Roq

Seeker
RPGWatch Donor

July 2nd, 2013, 16:31
1,138 backers would love to see this game completed.

Interesting game! The art is clean. Sound effects are carefully balanced / smoothed in the video, only the beginning music was bit annoying. Demo gameplay is not bad at all.

mercy

Sentinel

July 3rd, 2013, 19:24
Errr, very clearly aimed at the under-10 gamer. A pity. I would still like to see an RPG where overcoming the challenge does not mean mass slaughter.

Zloth

I smell a… wumpus!?

July 4th, 2013, 07:59
How so?

Al3xand3r

Watcher

July 4th, 2013, 12:06
Originally Posted by Zloth View Post
Errr, very clearly aimed at the under-10 gamer. A pity. I would still like to see an RPG where overcoming the challenge does not mean mass slaughter.
I agree. I'm fed up with hack & slay.
I do hope that the pendulum will swing back at one point.
But the masses wouldn't buy such a game : They're too much used to hack & slay already …

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction. (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » UnderTale - A RPG Where No One Has To Get Hurt