|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Project Eternity - Post-funding Update #59, Meet Polina Hristova

Default Project Eternity - Post-funding Update #59, Meet Polina Hristova

July 10th, 2013, 18:26
In this latest update for Project Eternity you can find a short Q&A with Creature Concept Designer Polina Hristova, who really likes her creatures.

Q: What is your typical work day like on Project Eternity?
A: I guess in comparison to most, my work day is pretty simple. I get to draw pretty pictures. The days differ based on the assignment and I do sometimes change my methods since creativity does flow differently day to day, but my general pipeline goes like this: I meet with Josh and the designers to get a description on what I'd be working on. Sometimes these descriptions can range from a simple word to an extremely detailed description on facial structure, hair length and color, outfit, tattoos, amount of skin pores… (okay I'm exaggerating the skin pore part)… and anywhere in between. I'll also talk with the animators if the creatures would share rigs or any other potential problems we can have (it's best to design with these problems in mind than having to change the design a lot later). After that (and depending on schedule) I'll do a number of variants fitting the description and summon a mini-character scrum (Josh, the designers, Rob, our modelers, and our animators). Together they'll discuss any problems or make any suggestions and pick a variant that I'll take to final.

Q: What are you most looking forward to on Project Eternity?
A: I am really looking forward to playing it. But for now I'm really just enjoying watching the game come to reality. I love watching peoples' creations come to life and I give many props to our modelers and animators for all their hard work. I love how they animated skuldr and his sneaky "I'm gunna getcha!" walk.

Q: Which Project Eternity creature that you have concepted excites you the most?
A: This question's a trick question. Creatures all excite me. I LOVE creatures, aliens (not relative) and things that go bump in the night. I guess if you had to make me pick right now I would have to say the drake. but I have a weakness for dragons and itís also the thing most current in my brain. I also really enjoyed designing the godlike heads.
More information.

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

July 10th, 2013, 18:26
Not mentioned in the summary: this update also says item durability is out.

I'm of two minds: I thought the mechanic as described was pointless and half-hearted, but I would have rather seen Josh Sawyer let his wonkish side loose and develop a really robust system than just remove the mechanic entirely.

"But if it's a battle," he said, "Which side is which?"
"If it's a battle," said Lilac.

RedSocialKnight

the stronger, slower one

July 10th, 2013, 19:08
Placating update. Everyone likes concept art.

"In Grimwhoah, you can ride on turtles."

Sacred_Path

Basement Horror

July 10th, 2013, 20:04
Originally Posted by Sacred_Path View Post
Placating update. Everyone likes concept art.
Nah, I'd much rather get updates about specific game mechanics, like skill systems, attributes, combat mechanics etc. Those are the things that interest me, these kind of updates doesn't thrill me at all.

tomasp3n

Watchamacallit?

July 10th, 2013, 20:07
Originally Posted by tomasp3n View Post
Nah, I'd much rather get updates about specific game mechanics, like skill systems, attributes, combat mechanics etc. Those are the things that interest me, these kind of updates doesn't thrill me at all.
Me too, but that stuff is way more controversial. It has been said that the attribute system in P:E will be sort of innovative (compared to DnD), so there will be some very heated debate over this.

"In Grimwhoah, you can ride on turtles."

Sacred_Path

Basement Horror

July 10th, 2013, 20:14
True, but that's excactly why does updates are more interesting, debate is fun! And until I know the systems I don't know if I've got my hopes up to high or not.

On the other hand, I though DA:O sounded fantastic on paper, I can't remember ever looking forward to a game as much as I was for DA. But when it finally arrived I was sorely dissapointed. I never took part in the flame wars of the second installment, because I felt so let down by the first that I never tried the second. Which in retrospect was probably a good thing.

tomasp3n

Watchamacallit?

July 10th, 2013, 21:09
I'm glad to see art updates, but surely an interview with an artist should include some of her art!

Honestly I think the interview was intended mostly as something they could slip the crafting retraction in at the end of.

RedSocialKnight

the stronger, slower one

July 10th, 2013, 22:04
Originally Posted by RedSocialKnight View Post
I'm glad to see art updates, but surely an interview with an artist should include some of her art!

Honestly I think the interview was intended mostly as something they could slip the crafting retraction in at the end of.
Ask and… well maybe someone will post a link.

http://www.polinadesign.com/
http://phristova-daily.blogspot.com/

Her professional site gives an idea of her range which includes architectural and environmental design such as:

Also shows some of her work on games including Uncharted 2, which includes both environmental design as well as concept art such as:

While her blog lists some specific Project Eternity work she's done, including:

and

Last edited by jhwisner; July 10th, 2013 at 22:23.

jhwisner

SasqWatch

July 10th, 2013, 22:39
Wow, she's not bad!

ChaosTheory

Sentinel

July 10th, 2013, 23:21
Not mentioned in the summary: this update also says item durability is out.
The news on the item durability and crafting was already out before this update went life. We had a separate newsbit on it on Saturday.

Computer n. A machine which flawlessly performs the instructions it is given, no matter how flawed those instructions may be.

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

July 11th, 2013, 03:58
I look at some of Mike Krahulik's updates on Penny Arcade and remind myself that mechanical design is not the same priority for everyone. Some people really revel in the art, aesthetic, and artist from a professional or hobbyist level. That is their priority and I respect it.

Bedwyr

Sentinel

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Project Eternity - Post-funding Update #59, Meet Polina Hristova