Quantcast
Humble monthly - dissapointment - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Games » General Non-RPG » Humble monthly - dissapointment

Default Humble monthly - dissapointment

November 7th, 2015, 02:45
  1. Saints Row IV
  2. Beseige
  3. Valkyria Chronicles
  4. Lethal League
  5. Sanctuary RPG
  6. TowerFall Ascension
  7. Legend of Grimrock II
.

Anyone else get this? I am a little disappointed but I suppose with a large game library a 12 game gamble is risky…..saints row 4 is ok but I have played it…thoughts?
Warlod is offline

Warlod

Warlod's Avatar
Watcher
Original Sin 2 Donor

#1

Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 64

Default 

November 7th, 2015, 02:52
Refused to even think about any kind of "subscription" - if people were smart WoW would have never been able to tax people for years. But okay, no game can pull out subscription any more anyway.

The list up there is far from disappointment. Dunno how much you paid for the month, but Valkyria Cronicles is worth every penny.
--
Toka Koka
joxer is online now

joxer

joxer's Avatar
The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

#2

Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 12,030

Default 

November 7th, 2015, 03:10
Originally Posted by joxer View Post
Refused to even think about any kind of "subscription" - if people were smart WoW would have never been able to tax people for years. But okay, no game can pull out subscription any more anyway.

The list up there is far from disappointment. Dunno how much you paid for the month, but Valkyria Cronicles is worth every penny.
Paid about 22 Euro. Valkyre looks a bit kiddy/manga but I'll be open minded if it's good
Warlod is offline

Warlod

Warlod's Avatar
Watcher
Original Sin 2 Donor

#3

Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 64

Default 

November 7th, 2015, 03:10
Sorry typo about 12 euro
Warlod is offline

Warlod

Warlod's Avatar
Watcher
Original Sin 2 Donor

#4

Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 64

Default 

November 7th, 2015, 15:41
Originally Posted by Warlod View Post
Paid about 22 Euro. Valkyre looks a bit kiddy/manga but I'll be open minded if it's good
The game itself seemed good, but dear lord, the writing was cringeworthy.

Main Character, when asked about what he wants to do (he wants to become a teacher, rather than a general)
-I want to give back, in my own way. My own way, you know what I mean?
Girl (possible love interest of the story?)
-I think I do. You sure about it?
-Mhm
-Wow, that's so deep.


Most of the games in the bundle are quite good. But the bundle is just quite expensive for being, well, a bundle. And one buying sight unseen on top of that. Had they gone for newer and/or more expensive games, it would have made more sense, but when you ask someone to buy something sight unseen, you should give them a good deal if you want them to remain your customers.
Fnord is offline

Fnord

Fnord's Avatar
SasqWatch

#5

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Posts: 1,678

Default 

November 7th, 2015, 17:43
Unless I'm misunderstanding something here, I don't see how that's expensive. LoG 2 by itself is easily worth that much.
JDR13 is offline

JDR13

JDR13's Avatar
SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

#6

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Florida, US
Posts: 21,506
+1:

Default 

November 7th, 2015, 17:48
I'd be disappointed, Log2 is the only game on the list I'd spend any money on and I already own it.
sakichop is offline

sakichop

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

#7

Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 3,668

Default 

November 7th, 2015, 18:10
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
Unless I'm misunderstanding something here, I don't see how that's expensive. LoG 2 by itself is easily worth that much.
It's expensive if you compare it to other bundles. Had this been a regular Humble Indie Bundle, it would likely have been a $9 top tier containing LoG 2, and the rest being split up between the regular & BTA tier, with something more unlocking during the second week. And that would not be buying the bundle sight unseen.
Fnord is offline

Fnord

Fnord's Avatar
SasqWatch

#8

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Posts: 1,678

Default 

November 7th, 2015, 19:20
Originally Posted by sakichop View Post
I'd be disappointed, Log2 is the only game on the list I'd spend any money on and I already own it.
I think it goes without saying that any bundle is going to be disappointing if you already own the best games in it.

Originally Posted by Fnord View Post
It's expensive if you compare it to other bundles. Had this been a regular Humble Indie Bundle, it would likely have been a $9 top tier containing LoG 2, and the rest being split up between the regular & BTA tier, with something more unlocking during the second week. And that would not be buying the bundle sight unseen.
It depends which bundles you're comparing it to. Some bundles are as much as $25. I think we've become spoiled though by the abundance of cheap game bundles nowadays. If this was 5-6 years ago, we'd probably be talking about what a great deal this is.
JDR13 is offline

JDR13

JDR13's Avatar
SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

#9

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Florida, US
Posts: 21,506

Default 

November 7th, 2015, 19:30
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
It depends which bundles you're comparing it to. Some bundles are as much as $25. I think we've become spoiled though by the abundance of cheap game bundles nowadays. If this was 5-6 years ago, we'd probably be talking about what a great deal this is.
Usually when a "bundle" costs $25 (or has another high price), it's an expensive game that's sold with its DLC, and it gets called a bundle, or it's a collection of games from a single series sold at the same price as on steam (or it's a bundle of hentai games).
And yes, 5-6 years ago, heck even 4 years ago, this would have been considered a great deal. It's hard to consider something great, when you're used to being offered something better though.
Fnord is offline

Fnord

Fnord's Avatar
SasqWatch

#10

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Posts: 1,678

Default 

November 7th, 2015, 20:19
Originally Posted by Fnord View Post
Usually when a "bundle" costs $25 (or has another high price), it's an expensive game that's sold with its DLC, and it gets called a bundle, or it's a collection of games from a single series sold at the same price as on steam (or it's a bundle of hentai games).
And yes, 5-6 years ago, heck even 4 years ago, this would have been considered a great deal. It's hard to consider something great, when you're used to being offered something better though.
"Better" is subjective though and is going to depend on what the buyer is looking for. As far as bundles go, I wouldn't call that one great, but I don't think it's bad either. If someone happens to be looking for LoG 2, which is normally $25, then it's a good deal.

The recent bundle that offered Blackguards 1&2 + Dragon Commander and other games was significantly better imo.
JDR13 is offline

JDR13

JDR13's Avatar
SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

#11

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Florida, US
Posts: 21,506

Default 

November 7th, 2015, 20:24
When I seen this part of me was intrigued by the "gamble/risk" factor I have to admit….I figured 12 euro was a good bet because LOG2 looked decent and since its the first bundle I would have expected a "wow" factor to keep people hooked.

But its not all bad. I can trade the games I dont like
Warlod is offline

Warlod

Warlod's Avatar
Watcher
Original Sin 2 Donor

#12

Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 64

Default 

November 8th, 2015, 04:02
Seems to me it's actually pretty cheap, but I bet they're doing a 'better than normal' first month to attract first customers.
wolfing is offline

wolfing

wolfing's Avatar
Dalek SasqWatch

#13

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Tardis
Posts: 4,454

Default 

November 8th, 2015, 10:44
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
"Better" is subjective though and is going to depend on what the buyer is looking for. As far as bundles go, I wouldn't call that one great, but I don't think it's bad either. If someone happens to be looking for LoG 2, which is normally $25, then it's a good deal.

The recent bundle that offered Blackguards 1&2 + Dragon Commander and other games was significantly better imo.
Yes, better is of course a bit subjective, if you don't like the games in a bundle, then it holds no real value to you, and if you love the games in a bundle, it might well be worth more to you than the asking price. And yes, I think that LoG 2 is worth more than the asking price of this bundle (I bought it for more, and I don't regret it)
But people have also quite simply come to expect a certain "value" from bundles. The effective discount of this bundle is just above 85%, which might sound good, but many of the games have already been heavily discounted, if you buy the "packs" of the multiplayer games with a friend you'll get a roughly 85% discount of those on a "regular" 75% off sale (which they've been on), and the version of SR 4 that you get is not even the one that you "should" buy if you intend to play the game (the "game of the century" edition costs 5€ more and includes all the DLC, and while a good portion of the DLC are throwaway stuff that you'll never use, the two story DLCs are worth getting, and will together set you back more than 5€). SanctuaryRPG has been given out for free in the past to people who got the original on Desura (which was free), and has also been bundled twice. So that leaves Valkyra Chronicles, Besiege (a rather cheap game) and LoG 2 to make it a "good deal".
Fnord is offline

Fnord

Fnord's Avatar
SasqWatch

#14

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Posts: 1,678

Default 

November 8th, 2015, 11:58
So i traded towerfall, besiege and lethal league for victoria 2 (paradox strategy). drakensang river of time (rpg watch favorite) and men of war assault squad

I gave away sr4 as I have it already

Im keeping log2 and I think valk chron since its so well regarded (even if it is a console port)
Warlod is offline

Warlod

Warlod's Avatar
Watcher
Original Sin 2 Donor

#15

Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 64

Default 

November 8th, 2015, 18:00
Originally Posted by Fnord View Post
Yes, better is of course a bit subjective, if you don't like the games in a bundle, then it holds no real value to you, and if you love the games in a bundle, it might well be worth more to you than the asking price. And yes, I think that LoG 2 is worth more than the asking price of this bundle (I bought it for more, and I don't regret it)
But people have also quite simply come to expect a certain "value" from bundles. The effective discount of this bundle is just above 85%, which might sound good, but many of the games have already been heavily discounted, if you buy the "packs" of the multiplayer games with a friend you'll get a roughly 85% discount of those on a "regular" 75% off sale (which they've been on), and the version of SR 4 that you get is not even the one that you "should" buy if you intend to play the game (the "game of the century" edition costs 5 more and includes all the DLC, and while a good portion of the DLC are throwaway stuff that you'll never use, the two story DLCs are worth getting, and will together set you back more than 5). SanctuaryRPG has been given out for free in the past to people who got the original on Desura (which was free), and has also been bundled twice. So that leaves Valkyra Chronicles, Besiege (a rather cheap game) and LoG 2 to make it a "good deal".
I think you're splitting hairs with that much of an in-depth analysis over what amounts to only a few dollars either way. The vast majority of people simply don't care or even notice a difference that is largely insignificant. The first part of your post summed it up perfectly. If they want what's in a bundle, they're going to buy it.
JDR13 is offline

JDR13

JDR13's Avatar
SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

#16

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Florida, US
Posts: 21,506

Default 

November 9th, 2015, 12:02
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
I think you're splitting hairs with that much of an in-depth analysis over what amounts to only a few dollars either way. The vast majority of people simply don't care or even notice a difference that is largely insignificant. The first part of your post summed it up perfectly. If they want what's in a bundle, they're going to buy it.
Well, the big problem is that you really don't know if you're getting something that you want from a bundle like this, so unless they're giving you a really good deal, you really don't have much incentive to take the gamble. Which was the point I was trying to get to (and the current monthly is not a really good deal).
Fnord is offline

Fnord

Fnord's Avatar
SasqWatch

#17

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Posts: 1,678

Default 

November 9th, 2015, 12:45
This thread makes me really sad €12 euro for 7 games, and people complain it is too much ? or a disappointment, on top of that some of the money is going to charity!

This thread is sad for the entire gaming industry.
Last edited by GothicGothicness; November 9th, 2015 at 13:49.
GothicGothicness is online now

GothicGothicness

GothicGothicness's Avatar
SasqWatch

#18

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 5,747

Default 

November 9th, 2015, 12:54
Looks like a fine deal to me. LoG and VC are good games, and I've heard Saints Row is good fun, if you like that sort of thing.
Ripper is offline

Ripper

Ripper's Avatar
Little England Refugee

#19

Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 3,220

Default 

November 9th, 2015, 13:25
Originally Posted by GothicGothicness View Post
This thread makes me really sad 12 euro for 7 games, and people complain it is too much ? or a disappointment, on top of that some of the money is going to charity!

This is thread is sad for the entire gaming industry.
Well unlike the regular bundles its just 5% for charity you cant select the % that goes to charity

Be happy…don't be too sad for the gaming industry. Its just a conversation to discuss games purchased. This is a gaming site after all.
Warlod is offline

Warlod

Warlod's Avatar
Watcher
Original Sin 2 Donor

#20

Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 64
RPGWatch Forums » Games » General Non-RPG » Humble monthly - dissapointment
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT +2. The time now is 14:56.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright by RPGWatch