|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Games » General Non-RPG » EA doesn't like you rating their mobile games (unless you rate it 5/5)

Default EA doesn't like you rating their mobile games (unless you rate it 5/5)

February 9th, 2014, 15:47
Saw this piece of news somewhere and, since we all hate EA, found it interesting… http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20…4-star-reviews
Basically, for their Dungeon Keeper mobile game, they added a 'low score trap' in their in-game rating button. Instead of directly sending you to Android review screen to enter your score, it pops a nice window that says "Are you going to score this …" two buttons, 1-4 and 5. If you click "1-4" it opens a window where you put a score and it's sent as an email to EA (but no score is recorded), while only '5' opens the real review screen, so if you want to score it 2, you have to click on '5' and then when the real review screen comes, score it 2. Very sleazy EA!

wolfing

Dalek SasqWatch

February 9th, 2014, 16:00
That is what they call clever PR stunt…

Xarg

Watcher

February 9th, 2014, 17:08
Their response claims it is because so many will give poor review scores but no feedback, so this helps them learn how to improve. That response fails to note how hard it is to give them that score now.

— Mike

txa1265

SasqWatch

February 9th, 2014, 17:24
Why am I not surprised seeing that scam?

Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor

February 9th, 2014, 17:27
Originally Posted by joxer View Post
Why am I not surprised seeing that scam?
Not only that, it is one of the more abusive 'IAP pushers' I have tried. Haven't deleted it off my iPad yet … but it won't last long.

— Mike

txa1265

SasqWatch

February 9th, 2014, 18:54
Good ole EA…..keeping it filthy, go go!!

Carnifex

SasqWatch

February 9th, 2014, 18:58
Originally Posted by wolfing View Post
Saw this piece of news somewhere and, since we all hate EA, found it interesting…
Actually, EA practices are being made more and more commendable by comparison to small, indie studios' practices.

ChienAboyeur

SasqWatch

February 10th, 2014, 05:42
It made the BBC.

Zloth

I smell a… wumpus!?

February 11th, 2014, 00:08
We should give bigger game publishers an similar thing. "Do you really want to unstall your game on my PC ?" and then offer them buttons from 1-5, with 1-4 sending an e-mail to me, and only 5 installing the game.

That would be proper customer control, to put it cynically and satirically.

“ Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage – to move in the opposite direction.“ (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

February 11th, 2014, 02:38
that's some pretty dirty pool. makes you wonder how well this will work. they must feel that most of their gamers are casual and won't think twice about what's going on. I wonder if Google would put a stop to this, after all, their company motto is Don't be Evil.

Developer of The Wizard's Grave Android game. Discussion Thread:
http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22520

Lucky Day

Daywatch

February 11th, 2014, 09:25
Originally Posted by Lucky Day View Post
I wonder if Google would put a stop to this, after all, their company motto is Don't be Evil.
EA seems to have almost the exact same motto with only a very small and subtle difference: Don't, be evil. So they might get along after all.

"I am not interested in good; I am interested in new, even if this includes the possibility of it's being evil"
(LaMonte Young, 1962)

holeraw

V.G.A.

February 11th, 2014, 11:18
Originally Posted by Lucky Day View Post
that's some pretty dirty pool. makes you wonder how well this will work. they must feel that most of their gamers are casual and won't think twice about what's going on. I wonder if Google would put a stop to this, after all, their company motto is Don't be Evil.
Google is an advertising-based company that makes money by getting you to reveal personal information and then selling it … so if you believe 'Don't Be Evil' has anything to do with their operations, their advertising machine is doing its job

— Mike

txa1265

SasqWatch

February 11th, 2014, 11:21
EA - Eternal Abuse.

GothicGothicness

SasqWatch

February 11th, 2014, 14:17
Well, I read in an Retro Gaming magazine a bit on the early history of EA … People stated that even then, EA's games were mediocre, but their marketing was truly excellent.
It seems that not much has changed since then.

“ Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage – to move in the opposite direction.“ (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

February 13th, 2014, 05:40
EA is in a difficult position. They've been consistently flailed for being EA.
Anyone in this position is legitimate in shielding off this kind of perpetual baseless bashing.
They were elected twice as the worst company out of wanton hate.
Cant be for ethical causes because in the last two years, indies have beaten EA at the ethical game. Yet EA keep receiving the whip from people who celebrate indies' ethics.
Petitioning against the choice of an athlete on a game cover, that might happen to be the first black person choosen to be on cover in their game series, makes things even muddier.

People hate a lot on EA but not for gaming reasons.

ChienAboyeur

SasqWatch

February 13th, 2014, 06:16
Originally Posted by txa1265 View Post
Google is an advertising-based company that makes money by getting you to reveal personal information and then selling it … so if you believe 'Don't Be Evil' has anything to do with their operations, their advertising machine is doing its job
Mike, I'm surprised you missed my facetiousness, but I'm glad you caught the irony.

Last I checked EA still didn't have many mobile games though.

Developer of The Wizard's Grave Android game. Discussion Thread:
http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22520

Lucky Day

Daywatch

February 13th, 2014, 06:57
Originally Posted by ChienAboyeur View Post
EA is in a difficult position. They've been consistently flailed for being EA.
Anyone in this position is legitimate in shielding off this kind of perpetual baseless bashing.
They were elected twice as the worst company out of wanton hate.
Cant be for ethical causes because in the last two years, indies have beaten EA at the ethical game. Yet EA keep receiving the whip from people who celebrate indies' ethics.
Petitioning against the choice of an athlete on a game cover, that might happen to be the first black person choosen to be on cover in their game series, makes things even muddier.

People hate a lot on EA but not for gaming reasons.
I'll take the bait. What terribly unethical indie practices are you talking about?

Korplem

Shipwreck

January 7th, 2015, 22:24
Originally Posted by wolfing View Post
Basically, for their Dungeon Keeper mobile game, they added a 'low score trap' in their in-game rating button. Instead of directly sending you to Android review screen to enter your score, it pops a nice window that says "Are you going to score this …" two buttons, 1-4 and 5. If you click "1-4" it opens a window where you put a score and it's sent as an email to EA (but no score is recorded), while only '5' opens the real review screen, so if you want to score it 2, you have to click on '5' and then when the real review screen comes, score it 2. Very sleazy EA!
People, do me a favor please.
Please, it's just 5 minutes of your life. 5 minutes about a game, 5 minutes you will never forget, 5 minutes to show you when you think nothing can be worse than something, well it can.

Watch it.

loading…

Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor

+1:

January 7th, 2015, 22:33
I was never interested in the game in the first place Joxer. Anyway I'm following a game on Steam Early Acces called Dwelvers. My only regret is development is very slow.

Link - http://store.steampowered.com/app/27…snr=1_4_4__105

I also have my eye on another game called War for the Overlord.

Link - http://www.wftogame.com/

"Don't underestimate the quiet majority as we are legion on the Internet."

RPGWatch
Senior News Editor & Moderator

Couchpotato

The Super Potato
RPGWatch Team

January 7th, 2015, 23:41
I see that you have pressed 1-4 on your device. Thank you for your feedback. Please note that our lawyers have advised us that mobile devices should not be inserted into the rectum as this may cause permanent tissue damage.

rjshae

Bob
RPGWatch Donor

RPGWatch Forums » Games » General Non-RPG » EA doesn't like you rating their mobile games (unless you rate it 5/5)