|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Games » General Non-RPG » Sid Meierís Starships - A New Turn-based Strategy Game

Default Sid Meierís Starships - A New Turn-based Strategy Game

January 19th, 2015, 20:53
Well this came as a surprise today it seems 2K and Firaxis Games announced a new Sid Meier game called Starships. They describe it as a new turn-based, adventure-driven interstellar strategy game. Here is the announcement trailer.

loading…

New York, NY – January 19, 2015 2K and Firaxis Games today announced Sid Meier’s Starships , a new turn-based, adventure-driven interstellar strategy game from Sid Meier, creator of the award-winning Sid Meier’s Civilization series. Scheduled for release in early 2015 as a digital download for Windows-based PC, Mac and iPad, Sid Meier’s Starships lets players command a fleet of starships as they embark on a series of missions to explore the galaxy, protect planets and their civilizations, and build a federation to ultimately usher in a new age of peace throughout the galaxy.

“When designing Starships, I was intrigued by the idea of exploring the next chapter in the story of Civilization: Beyond Earth. What happens after we colonize our new home and eventually build starships to take to the stars? What has become of our long-lost brothers and sisters from the planet Earth?” said Sid Meier, director of creative development at Firaxis Games. “My goal was to create an experience that focuses on starship design and combat within a universe filled with interstellar adventure, diplomacy, and exploration.”

Sid Meier’s Starships challenges players to build a planetary federation by exploring the galaxy, expanding its influence and domain, researching futuristic technologies and engaging in deep, turn-based tactical space combat with an armada of uniquely customizable starships. Each new campaign will feature its own distinctive galactic strategy map of worlds with dynamically generated tactical combat missions that will enhance the game’s replay value. In addition, Sid Meier’s Civilization: Beyond Earth fans who purchase Sid Meier’s Starships will uncover cross-connectivity with the two games such that will enhance and expand the depth of both game experiences.

“Sid has been a leader in the strategy and PC gaming market for more than 30 years,” said Christoph Hartmann, president of 2K. “After successfully launching an experience touching upon mankind’s history on Earth, fans will now see how Sid has used the Civilization: Beyond Earth universe to deliver his own unique style of strategic gaming.”

Sid Meier’s Starships is rated E10+ by the ESRB and will be available on Steam for Windows-based PC and Mac, the Mac App Store for Mac, and the App Store for iPad devices in early 2015. For more information on Sid Meier’s Starships, please visit www.2k.com.

"I Am a Proud BioWare Fanboy, and Have Been One for Fifteen Years."

RPGWatch
Senior News Editor & Moderator

Couchpotato

The Overworked Potato
RPGWatch Team

+1:

January 19th, 2015, 21:04
sounds great. I hope the 'ties' with C:BE are superficial, I don't have that game and don't want to have it to enjoy a full experience in the new game.

wolfing

Dalek SasqWatch

January 19th, 2015, 21:17
Tablets will limit what they can do in terms of UI, visuals and complex interactions, which means it's not likely to meet my demands for fidelity and wealth of gameplay - but I'll check it out anyway.

DArtagnan

Waste of potential

+1:

January 20th, 2015, 01:51
Originally Posted by DArtagnan View Post
Tablets will limit what they can do in terms of UI, visuals and complex interactions, which means it's not likely to meet my demands for fidelity and wealth of gameplay - but I'll check it out anyway.
Oh no! didn't see the part where it'll be available for tablets. Curses!

wolfing

Dalek SasqWatch

January 20th, 2015, 02:00
Well to be fair Civilization: Beyond Earth didn't have state of the art graphics either. The new spin-off game Starships looks like a mod based on the same game engine.

I recall a few mods for Civilization 4 that used this idea.

1. Final Frontier Plus - http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=351012
2. MOO2Civ - http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=267295

I'm still interested to see what the official game plays like though.

RPGWatch
Last edited by Couchpotato; January 20th, 2015 at 02:11.

Couchpotato

The Overworked Potato
RPGWatch Team

January 20th, 2015, 11:41
Originally Posted by DArtagnan View Post
That is my thought - Civ V and Beyond Earth are 'beyond tablets' … and Sid Meier wanted to get a 'real' Civ game there (as opposed to the horrifically over-priced fun but cut-down Civ Rev 2) … so this is the middle ground. Gives a stand-alone expansion to Beyond Earth players, and draws in the tablet crowd. (i.e. me)

— Mike

txa1265

SasqWatch

January 20th, 2015, 12:49
I'm afraid it won't represent anything like a stand-alone expansion to BE

More like a light partner-game just like Civ Rev, which was great for a tablet game. I agree about Civ Rev 2, though - which I made the mistake of buying - and it wasn't cheap.

However, I would love it if they expanded (greatly) upon BE - as it does have potential.

DArtagnan

Waste of potential

January 21st, 2015, 13:44
If it is really supposed to be about starships and space exploration it should not have complex city building and I don't see how it can use same engine.

Archangel

Keeper of the Watch

January 21st, 2015, 13:54
Check the links I posted above they have both building, and spaceships so it can work. As for the same engine that is only my assumption, and not verified yet.

Anyway I think its the same engine because it hasn't been long since the release of Civilization: Beyond Earth, and the press release mentions it will work with the game.
In addition, Sid Meier’s Civilization: Beyond Earth fans who purchase Sid Meier’s Starships will uncover cross-connectivity with the two games such that will enhance and expand the depth of both game experiences.
Now I could be wrong also so knows.

RPGWatch

Couchpotato

The Overworked Potato
RPGWatch Team

January 21st, 2015, 14:43
Well, the tablet version would have to use a severely reduced version of that engine, if that's true. The engine they've been using since Civ 4 has been a real system hog - and performance has never been a concern for them, it seems.

But I'm sure they've figured it out. Not their first rodeo, so to speak

DArtagnan

Waste of potential

January 21st, 2015, 16:28
Originally Posted by Couchpotato View Post
Check the links I posted above they have both building, and spaceships so it can work. As for the same engine that is only my assumption, and not verified yet.

Anyway I think its the same engine because it hasn't been long since the release of Civilization: Beyond Earth, and the press release mentions it will work with the game.
Now I could be wrong also so knows.
What I mean is, in a game about space exploration you are supposed to settle and build up planets and solar systems, not specific cities on planets.

Archangel

Keeper of the Watch

January 21st, 2015, 17:37
Sound a bit like star control 2. I'll give it a shot

————————————————-

"Ya'll can go to HELL! I'm-a-goin' to TEXAS!"

- Davy Crockett

blatantninja

Resident Redneck Facist

January 25th, 2015, 21:55
Here are some images seems I was right as it looks like the mods I mentioned. It's basically Civilization in space, and instead of building cities you manage planets.

The games ship customization, and combat though make it different. I'm actually quite excited now to see how Sid pulls this off. I'll try to keep this thread updated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen_Shot_2015-01-24_at_1.00.11_PM.0.jpg (30.6 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg civ3.0.jpg (50.9 KB, 86 views)
File Type: jpg Sid-Meiers-Starships-Screenshot_StrategyLayer_1.0.0.0.jpg (73.0 KB, 87 views)

RPGWatch
Last edited by Couchpotato; January 25th, 2015 at 22:20.

Couchpotato

The Overworked Potato
RPGWatch Team

January 26th, 2015, 12:19
Hmm, I wasn't expecting it too look exactly like that but overall it is what I wanted.
Now lets wait for release.

Archangel

Keeper of the Watch

January 28th, 2015, 05:13
Found a short preview today from Pax South on a site called Steamfirst.

Link - http://www.steamfirst.com/sid-meiers…pew-pew-think/
For those, like me, who enjoy climbing the tech-trees, look forward to more of the fantastic to show up in your research. The goal was to make the end tech of Beyond Earth seem more mundane. Based on some of the weapons Sid displayed on his easily customizable ships, I can see that.

Structurally, expect Starships to play a bit like X-Com. There will be overview elements as you grow your federation, research technology, and take on challenges. When it comes time to fight, you will be taken to the tactical portion. Battles are still turn-based, with asteroids and space debris serving as cover. This also leads to my one point of contention. While I am certain that this will be a really fun game, the battles take place on a two dimensional hex grid map. That makes sense for land based sorties, but space is three dimensional. It feels artificially limited. Because this is the venerable Sid Meier, I will certainly give it my attention; it will obviously be good. I just wish we were able to approach battles differently here.

RPGWatch

Couchpotato

The Overworked Potato
RPGWatch Team

January 29th, 2015, 19:59
Found a new video from PAX South with more game footage.

loading…

Firaxis Games discusses the ties between Civilization: Beyond Earth and Sid Meier's Starships. Near the end of the panel, creator Sid Meier provides a live gameplay demo!

RPGWatch

Couchpotato

The Overworked Potato
RPGWatch Team

+1:

February 2nd, 2015, 19:35
Looks interesting.

ď Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius Ė and a lot of courage Ė to move in the opposite direction.ď (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

+1:

February 3rd, 2015, 12:39
I finally looked at that PAX video and this game looks way too simple. They shown no planet development, no ship building, customization is really simple. And even battles are super simplified.

To be truthful this seems to have complexity of a game for a tablet or a phone. Even "simplified" games like Endless Space are 3x more complex than this.
WTF is happening with Sid Meier?!

Archangel

Keeper of the Watch

February 3rd, 2015, 13:35
Of course it has the complexity of a tablet game. It is a tablet game.

I don't see myself playing this at home on my desktop PC, but on a tablet or perhaps a Surface? It looks like a very interesting game for such a format, perhaps even a bit too complex (might have too many touch actions).

Maylander

SasqWatch

Send a message via MSN to Maylander

February 3rd, 2015, 13:44
Originally Posted by Maylander View Post
Of course it has the complexity of a tablet game. It is a tablet game.

I don't see myself playing this at home on my desktop PC, but on a tablet or perhaps a Surface? It looks like a very interesting game for such a format, perhaps even a bit too complex (might have too many touch actions).
Does this make Joxer right in his rants?

Archangel

Keeper of the Watch

RPGWatch Forums » Games » General Non-RPG » Sid Meierís Starships - A New Turn-based Strategy Game