|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Dragon Age 2 - Retrospective @ STFU

Default Dragon Age 2 - Reprint Review @ STFU

July 15th, 2013, 01:05
STFU has a remasterd review from 2011 for Dragon Age 2.

For all of the innovations that the Role Playing Game genre has experienced in the last half decade, there are some things that have remained virtually unchanged. Battles are usually slow paced and have to be approached tactically while stories generally involve the protagonist and his/her allies facing insurmountable odds in a quest to save their world. Bioware’s latest RPG, Dragon Age II has taken its own path to RPG-dom and bucks some classic RPG tropes in an attempt to tell a different kind of story and provide a faster and fiercer combat experience

Dragon Age II was an ambitious attempt to reinvent the RPG formula but sadly came up short in many key areas. Although there are things that are great about the game, too many of them feel as though they were not given enough time to completely develop. Despite these shortcomings, DA II is still a great RPG that will provide you with many hours of gameplay. If you are considering purchasing it, make sure to lower your expectations slightly since this game isn’t all that it was striving to be.
More information.

"Beware the potato for he is easily angered."- Couchpotato
Last edited by Couchpotato; July 15th, 2013 at 10:50.

Couchpotato

LazyGamer
RPGWatch Team

July 15th, 2013, 01:05
Hmmm… A thorough review. Maybe this should be quoted too:
Dragon Age II was an ambitious attempt to reinvent the RPG formula but sadly came up short in many key areas. Although there are things that are great about the game, too many of them feel as though they were not given enough time to completely develop. Despite these shortcomings, DA II is still a great RPG that will provide you with many hours of gameplay. If you are considering purchasing it, make sure to lower your expectations slightly since this game isn’t all that it was striving to be.
I say if you consider purchasing it, don't give more than 5 for it. With DLC included. If you do give more, sign a petition that Bioware rehire DA2 lead designer back. I'm not sure it'll help, still, it's a shame such promising designer left gaming industry.

Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor

July 15th, 2013, 01:13
Originally Posted by joxer View Post
Hmmm… A thorough review. Maybe this should be quoted too:

I say if you consider purchasing it, don't give more than 5 for it. With DLC included. If you do give more, sign a petition that Bioware rehire DA2 lead designer back. I'm not sure it'll help, still, it's a shame such promising designer left gaming industry.
I'll add it to the the topic. That's not stealing text is it. Should I give you credit also.

Couchpotato

LazyGamer
RPGWatch Team

July 15th, 2013, 01:20
Dragon Age II was an ambitious attempt to reinvent the RPG formula
OMG !!! How can they say that.
This game is a huge failure in EVERY aspect and clearly not ambitious.
Let's just turn the page and hope they'll try to make DA3 a descent game by learning from their mistakes on this one.

Risine

Watcher

July 15th, 2013, 01:48
It's not a failure. Ppl instabought it. Some of us even preordered.

Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor

July 15th, 2013, 02:02
I didn't hate the game, it just annoyed me to no end w/ the waves of paratrooping enemies and re-used spaces. And what they did to the Mabari War Hound was unforgivable, but then again the full companions themselves kinda sucked as a whole.

xSamhainx

Paws of Doom

July 15th, 2013, 02:06
STFU… That's fitting.

sakichop

SasqWatch

July 15th, 2013, 02:07
I used to hate the game but as I played the game a few times my anger slowly settled. Check my post history two years ago.

I see were Bioware wanted to change and improve the game. Sadly somewhere down the line something went wrong. I hope they learn from the experience.

Originally Posted by sakichop View Post
STFU… That's fitting.
Well can't say it's intentional but it fits the topic. The site is actually called Stfuandplay but goes by STFU.

Last edited by Couchpotato; July 15th, 2013 at 10:46.

Couchpotato

LazyGamer
RPGWatch Team

July 15th, 2013, 02:15
I think if they simply had an option, or even someone made a mod to somehow disable the waves of foes that suddenly spawn repeatedly (sometimes right behind you) after nearly every fight, it would be far more tolerable. That artificial and let's face it, cheap and cheesy padding just started to kill the game for me by about halfway thru.

xSamhainx

Paws of Doom

July 15th, 2013, 04:46
Funny how many people say they hate the game, even after the fifth replay. I found it entertaining and I didn't think twice about some of the details that others somehow seem to find horrific. It helps to just play at it as a console game and not to expect verisimilitude.

rjshae

Bob
RPGWatch Donor

July 15th, 2013, 10:10
I still think the biggest problem with DA2 is the fact that it's the successor to Origins. If it was simply called Hawke or some such thing, it would've fared quite a bit better.

Maylander

SasqWatch

Send a message via MSN to Maylander

July 15th, 2013, 10:15
Originally Posted by Maylander View Post
I still think the biggest problem with DA2 is the fact that it's the successor to Origins. If it was simply called Hawke or some such thing, it would've fared quite a bit better.
Except for the pop-spawning enemies, you might be right.

But it WAS a successor to Origins - and it should be judged accordingly.

DArtagnan

Waste of potential

July 15th, 2013, 10:30
Yep, and it failed completely to fill the big shoes of Origins. It's still a decent game though, but it's certainly not in the same league as Origins.

Maylander

SasqWatch

Send a message via MSN to Maylander

July 15th, 2013, 10:42
I skipped Dragon Age 2, because I didn't like what I read in the user reviews here at the Watch. I hope Dragon Age 3 gets back on the right track.

For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong. - HL Mencken

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
RPGWatch Donor

July 15th, 2013, 10:44
Not really accurate to call it a 'retrospective' … it is a REPRINT

— Mike

txa1265

SasqWatch

July 15th, 2013, 10:50
Originally Posted by txa1265 View Post
Not really accurate to call it a 'retrospective' … it is a REPRINT
Noted and changed it does fit better. Thanks.

Couchpotato

LazyGamer
RPGWatch Team

July 15th, 2013, 10:59
Originally Posted by Couchpotato View Post
Noted and changed it does fit better. Thanks.
You really didn't need to change it, it was just reflecting my frustration that the guy is repurposing his old stuff to gain traction for a new site. I had really hoped for a reworking, or at least a 'here is what I said … here is my view on replaying'.

Oh well

— Mike

txa1265

SasqWatch

July 16th, 2013, 22:12
reusing the same area ONCE is okay in my book. FOUR TIMES and MORE? that is just a waste of everyone's time and money.

cptbarkey

Sentinel

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Dragon Age 2 - Retrospective @ STFU