|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Chaos Chronicles - Legal Troubles

Default Chaos Chronicles - Legal Troubles

July 22nd, 2013, 11:36
It's muddled though, as bitcomposer has been the choice go-to publisher for developers of Kickstarter games, it seems - Expeditions Conquistadors signed with them, and Giana Sisters as well, and I vaguely think I remember others.

GhanBuriGhan

Wose extraordinaire

July 22nd, 2013, 11:57
But in those cases they don't fund the game and don't really have any say on what happens to it and when, outside sending the game out through the channels they have access to and the developers don't before the deal. Ie, retail, or Steam without going through greenlight, or whatever, while the devs likely can still sell it to the channels they do have access to, ie gog, direct sales, or whatever portal accepts.

GamesInquirer

Seeker

July 22nd, 2013, 12:22
Oh man, this is such a bummer. I was so looking forward to Chaos Chronicles

The legal situation seems very ambiguous. We haven't heard both sides so I think we should wait a bit before we form a lynch mob.

Dr. A

Keeper of the Watch

July 22nd, 2013, 12:38
Originally Posted by GamesInquirer View Post
..Steam without going through greenlight..
Which has changed now, publishers cannot piggy back kickstarter games onto steam that way any more. Really that whole situation should have encouraged people to buy on alternatives to Steam, since the dev gets a bigger share of the cash that way- eg it's on sale at Gamersgate for the same price as at Steam, and BitComposter won't get a cent.

Zygo

Watchdog

July 22nd, 2013, 12:49
Originally Posted by Zygo View Post
Which has changed now, publishers cannot piggy back kickstarter games onto steam that way any more. Really that whole situation should have encouraged people to buy on alternatives to Steam, since the dev gets a bigger share of the cash that way- eg it's on sale at Gamersgate for the same price as at Steam, and BitComposter won't get a cent.
It's just an example, the point was the difference between a publisher funding a game and a publisher taking a completed game to distribute through certain channels.

GamesInquirer

Seeker

July 22nd, 2013, 13:41
CorePlay must have used *something* BC had control over. Partial funding? Tech from JA:BiA ?

Gorath

Prime Evil
RPGWatch Team

July 22nd, 2013, 13:53
Originally Posted by Couchpotato View Post
Well the information about the legal problem has only been reported here and the Codex. I don't think other sites care.
Not even GameBanshee ?

“ Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage – to move in the opposite direction.“ (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

July 22nd, 2013, 13:57
Originally Posted by Alrik Fassbauer View Post
Not even GameBanshee ?
They posted their version a day later it's up now. Search with Google, and only a few sites have reported on this.

"Beware the potato for he is easily angered."- Couchpotato

Couchpotato

LazyGamer
RPGWatch Team

July 22nd, 2013, 14:03
Interesting. Thank you.

At least they waited a day.

“ Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage – to move in the opposite direction.“ (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

July 22nd, 2013, 14:26
300 people signed atm… I hope that 1000 will be reached soon!

xep624

Watcher

July 22nd, 2013, 16:20
Originally Posted by Gorath View Post
CorePlay must have used *something* BC had control over. Partial funding? Tech from JA:BiA ?
Roguey at the Codex dug up the following interesting bits of info from quotes from the same dev lnked in the OP:

Originally Posted by HobGoblin 42
Beside self-funding with money from commercial projects we did, we've got funded by a german film funding called FFFBayern. To successfully complete the project we also receive payments from our publisher bitcomposer who is going to distribute the game worldwide.

[…]

The project is funded by Bavaria, us developers (Coreplay) and a publisher (bitcomposer). And before the success of Grimrock, you wouldn't have any chance to pitch that kind of game to any publisher out there (not at this budget).
So yes, bitcomposer partially funded development.

GhanBuriGhan

Wose extraordinaire

July 22nd, 2013, 16:42
Blackmail ?

More info on that FFFBayern ( it's only in German language ) : http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/FilmFernsehFonds_Bayern

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

July 22nd, 2013, 16:52
i'm sure its greed on both sides.

cptbarkey

Sentinel

July 22nd, 2013, 17:14
It will be a bummer if this title doesn't come out. Here's to hoping they can work it out. Of the great impending releases (WL 2, Project Eternity) this was one I looked forward to most.

EvilManagedCare

Sentinel

July 22nd, 2013, 17:49
I was looking forward to the release of this game too, it had a fresh new idea and mysterious storyline and was turn-based which is my favorite type of RPG style. It always comes down to money and greed from the publishers sides. As Developers who are making their dream rpg, i highly doubt Coreplay would slow down or want to stop development of CHaos Chronicles.

Dragonx

SasqWatch

July 22nd, 2013, 19:35
Signed the petition… Not sure if it will do any good, but worth a try!

Pongo

Watchdog
RPGWatch Donor

July 23rd, 2013, 00:58
Need to hear from the other side though. I remember not long ago, Paradox hired a 3rd party developer to make Magna Mundi, and all reports from the developer led you to think it was pretty much ready to release… then all of a sudden, Paradox canceled the game when it was like a month for release. Turned out the developer was lying about the state of the game, and Paradox had given them like 1 year extension out of their pocket to complete it and still it was in bad shape when they took the hard decision. Maybe something like that is the case here too, we really don't know the whole story.

wolfing

Wonders what SasqWatch is

July 23rd, 2013, 01:14
Paradox couldn't lie straight in bed if they were nailed there in a full body cast. We believe in DRM free! Our games will soon be on GOG! No Preorder DLC with gameplay features! Fred Wester invented Achtung Panzer (might have thought Paradox would have heard of Heinz Guderian…)! We don't have a preferred DD provider! We won't release a buggy mess this time, promise!

They're hardly a glowing example of publisher awesome. They just have frothing fanboys- I know, I used to be one.

Originally Posted by GamesInquirer View Post
It's just an example, the point was the difference between a publisher funding a game and a publisher taking a completed game to distribute through certain channels.
I wasn't being snarky about it as it is a recent change. I do wonder if Bitcomposter shopping itself around as a short circuit to greenlight has had some backlash though. If the game getting onto steam were no longer a given it might explain why Bitcomposter might be reticent with or trying to get out of funding.

Zygo

Watchdog

July 23rd, 2013, 05:28
oh the jawood thing…
trying to control the outcome without knowing jack about the game-and because they have the money or worse, license, they can threaten everyone-the fans, the developers, themselves..

how realisticly boring and uninspiring of them.
beside the fact that they just lost money for trying to make it.
AND-how the fuck things like that happen in the middle of development??didn't they close agreements before starting to develop??

rikus

Watchdog

July 23rd, 2013, 10:09
Good graphics and bad music.

mercy

Sentinel

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Chaos Chronicles - Legal Troubles