|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Falskaar Mod - Hands-On @ RPS

Default Falskaar Mod - Hands-On @ RPS

July 23rd, 2013, 13:52
Rock Paper Shotgun gave the Falskaar Mod for Skyrim a try and find it very well done given that it was created by an amateur.

The article, like this snippet contains spoilers.

If the exploration is a little bit lacking, it’s only because the quests have been obsessed over. It’s a remarkably well-crafted soap opera of men fretting over what they have and trying to defend it. It begins with a few bandit raids, but soon I was escaping from burning cities through secret passageways. Or I was raiding armouries for secrets, fighting my way though a multi-level bandit-hovel that took a few tries to get right. I don’t know if the AI has been tweaked, or if it was the fact that my character was brand new, but that dungeon was a tough fight, with multiple opponents crowding around me, and it wasn’t the only time I had to redo a dungeon. That said, they’re well designed, and most will allow you to leave without backtracking.

Even if it is just a Nordic head-butting contest, those heads are wearing crowns. A lot is at stake, and it manages that odd Skyrim trick of presenting interesting challenges through interminable speeches. But the fact that those are happening at all is proof of the ridiculous steps that have been taken to make Falskaar what it is: hours of dialogue have been recorded for the mod. Vast speeches spill out of mouths that should be silent. The writing even manages to capture Skyrim’s weary Nordic pretty acutely. Even NPC barks have been recorded, with one commenting on my Elvish appearance. This is ridiculous: a fully committed cast of hopeful amateurs very nearly catches up to Bethesda’s efforts. They should be proud, and Bethesda should be a little bit ashamed.
More information.

Computer n. A machine which flawlessly performs the instructions it is given, no matter how flawed those instructions may be.

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

July 23rd, 2013, 13:52
a fully committed cast of hopeful amateurs very nearly catches up to Bethesda’s efforts. They should be proud, and Bethesda should be a little bit ashamed.
Isn't this just saying what another source stated a few days ago - a talented amateur gives for free something that Bethesda would put as an expensive DLC.

That'd be more than "just a little bit ashamed".

Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor

July 23rd, 2013, 14:20
Still curious what the Watch thinks about this mod.

That said, I'm hearing good things about it. Seems it really IS a quality 20-hour mod by a single guy. That's damned impressive.

DArtagnan

Waste of potential

July 23rd, 2013, 19:08
A single guy plus "a fully committed cast of hopeful amateurs".

khaight

Watchdog

July 23rd, 2013, 19:20
Originally Posted by joxer View Post
Isn't this just saying what another source stated a few days ago - a talented amateur gives for free something that Bethesda would put as an expensive DLC.

Does this ever get old?

If you don't stand behind your troops, feel free to stand in front.

rune_74

SasqWatch

July 23rd, 2013, 19:50
What Joxer's hatred of Bethesda? Nope, it is very enlightening all 6000 times he repeats it I feel the same way about Gothic, I just don't have the time or inclination to post in every thread about that piece of fecal matter.

crpgnut

Fantasy Novel Archmage
RPGWatch Donor

July 23rd, 2013, 19:51
Originally Posted by DArtagnan View Post
Still curious what the Watch thinks about this mod.

That said, I'm hearing good things about it. Seems it really IS a quality 20-hour mod by a single guy. That's damned impressive.
I want to play this, but I know I'll give another 200+ hours to Skyrim if I do, and other games need to be played too.

crpgnut

Fantasy Novel Archmage
RPGWatch Donor

July 23rd, 2013, 22:05
Originally Posted by joxer View Post

Hell, yesterday I bought a meal for an homeless dude… all the food joints in the world should be ashamed for charging people since one random dude with some spare cash gives away something that they charge you for.

Of course I didn't since I'm an heartless bastard, but I'm sure someone somewhere is doing it right now!

Man who wants pretty nurse, must be patient.

Branq

Traveler

Send a message via Skype™ to Branq

July 23rd, 2013, 23:43
Originally Posted by rune_74 View Post
Does this ever get old?
What exactly?

Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Falskaar Mod - Hands-On @ RPS