|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » RPGWatch » GameBanshee + RPGWatch?

Default GameBanshee + RPGWatch?

January 15th, 2011, 15:17
I'm following both rpg sites, and basically both of them got the same news (90% of the time). I like the forums/comments and usability of RPGWatch, but GameBanshee's database rocks. So why not merge with GameBanshee as a one big RPG gaming site?

What kind of things prevent that from happen right now?

Ergonpandilus

The Guardian

January 15th, 2011, 15:26
Gamebanshee's database does indeed rock.

Damian Mahadevan

Keeper of the Watch

January 15th, 2011, 15:32
Apart from other reasons, maybe the fact that Banshee is a part of the Hearst empire, and as we learn from Deadwood, he was a one mean git.

Seriously though, I like the Watch the way it is, thank you.

zadokAllen

Sentinel

January 15th, 2011, 15:37
Horrible idea. Part of the charm of RPGWatch is it's independence, so keep donating.

hishadow

Level N+1

January 15th, 2011, 16:25
And suddenly I got these dirty images within my head involving a miniature tower and a familiar banshee.

Mankind must put an end to war or war will put an end to mankind. - John F Kennedy
An eye for an eye, and soon the whole world is blind. - Mahatma Gandhi
The world is my country. To do good is my religion. My mind is my own church. This simple creed is all we need to enjoy peace on earth. - Thomas Paine

JemyM

Okay, now roll sanity.

Send a message via ICQ to JemyM Send a message via MSN to JemyM

January 15th, 2011, 20:30
Originally Posted by Ergonpandilus View Post
I'm following both rpg sites, and basically both of them got the same news (90% of the time). I like the forums/comments and usability of RPGWatch, but GameBanshee's database rocks. So why not merge with GameBanshee as a one big RPG gaming site?

What kind of things prevent that from happen right now?
What a random question. There are dozens of RPG sites around and that's the beauty of them: different content/tone/audience.

Why not ask: RPGWatch + RPGCodex? That would have been a funny post.

Oblivion cares about YOU!

Relayer

Keeper of the Watch

January 15th, 2011, 20:54
Originally Posted by Relayer View Post
That would bring chaos into order.

Von Paulus

Sentinel

January 15th, 2011, 23:18
One of the main reasons is that the Watch is independent so as to keep the news, reviews, ect as being insights offered by seasoned gamers.

No pop-up ads is the second biggest one because it was founded after RPGDot was taken over and not only ads but long delays in getting approval from the main guys to fix, change, post, ect.

This site has only a handful of admins and one owner. Some stuff might take a little longer to implement change wise, but the decisions are made fast and no interference from lame office types who never played a game in their lives. ( At least they seemed that out of the loop to me. lol)

Bart and Corwin should just admit that when it gets down to it, I will have the final say.

Cm

Sentinel of Light

Send a message via Skype™ to Cm

January 16th, 2011, 00:05
GB is NOT a volunteer site, this one is. People there actually get paid!!

If God said it, then that settles it!!

Editor@RPGWatch

Corwin

On The Razorblade of Life
RPGWatch Team

Send a message via Skype™ to Corwin

January 16th, 2011, 00:23
I have been suspecting GB looks on this site to pickup their news… so that could be the reason!

GothicGothicness

SasqWatch

January 16th, 2011, 00:49
Originally Posted by GothicGothicness View Post
I have been suspecting GB looks on this site to pickup their news… so that could be the reason!
Both ways. Both sites routinely scan the other site for news. Same with Watch & Codex. That's normal.

Gorath

Prime Evil
RPGWatch Team

January 16th, 2011, 01:29
Originally Posted by GothicGothicness View Post
If you did the stats you would find it is more in the other direction, but as noted Dhruin and the gang do this in their spare time for free … and really, all sites depend on each other to get news items.

For me the important thing isn't just the news - I can get that anywhere - it is the context and personal touch.

— Mike

txa1265

SasqWatch

January 17th, 2011, 02:44
Originally Posted by Relayer View Post
What a random question. There are dozens of RPG sites around and that's the beauty of them: different content/tone/audience.

The reason why I asked the question was the fact that the sites are so different and yet both are for same audience. GB is about archive/database and forum while Watch is about the news. Combined it would have been "perfect" IMO. RPGCodex is more like GB to me but I feel it a bit small circle's meeting room.

No need to get hostile though, it was just a question.

PS. There is always AdBlock if you don't like the ads. ;D

Ergonpandilus

The Guardian

January 17th, 2011, 03:02
Not sure if the other guys at GB have day jobs, but I do. That comes first. Second I grab some news, but not nearly as much as Dhruin. Still don't know how he finds so much Third comes content like screenshots, adding games, developers, publishers etc…. That gets moved to the back of the list. Fourth comes actually playing the games I own. That's not including time spent at home just doing normal stuff around the house.

If I just worked here then it would be great to just add content all day long, but I don't. Get rid of that 9 hours I'm at work and then all of a sudden you would have a lot more stuff here I'm not saying that the guys at GB don't have day jobs. I'm just saying that we do. That's why you'll find that the content portion isn't as good as it could be. We could concentrate on that, but I always came here for the news. I'd prefer if we just keep trying to get the news and let Sorcerer's Place and GB have all the other stuff.

Despite all my rage.
I'm still just a rat in a cage.
Last edited by skavenhorde; January 17th, 2011 at 06:26.

skavenhorde

Little BRO Rat

January 17th, 2011, 05:27
Originally Posted by Ergonpandilus View Post
The reason why I asked the question was the fact that the sites are so different and yet both are for same audience. GB is about archive/database and forum while Watch is about the news. Combined it would have been "perfect" IMO. RPGCodex is more like GB to me but I feel it a bit small circle's meeting room.

No need to get hostile though, it was just a question.
I wasn't hostile. *hug*

Oblivion cares about YOU!

Relayer

Keeper of the Watch

January 17th, 2011, 05:29
GameBanshee is a fantastic site and Jon and his team do an excellent job. However, one of the reasons we started RPGWatch was to re-gain our independence - and I don't see us wanting to change that. Be happy there are sites devoted to our hobby, even if they aren't individually perfect.

-= RPGWatch =-

Dhruin

Keeper of the Watch
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

January 17th, 2011, 10:27
If you did the stats you would find it is more in the other direction, but as noted Dhruin and the gang do this in their spare time for free … and really, all sites depend on each other to get news items.
Hmm, maybe more of the articles here should have GB as the source in that case? since RPGWatch ussually writes the sources of the news.. even if it is a secondary source…

GothicGothicness

SasqWatch

January 17th, 2011, 11:23
I only go to GB when I'm desperate and there isn't much on the newspage. Not sure about Dhruin. I believe it's something similar. Although he has a much larger list of sites he checks.

I can tell you from experience that Dhruin is amazing. The amount of information he finds and then posts boggles my mind and I know for a fact he doesn't just rely on GB or even partly rely on them. This is time consuming to say the least and what he can do on a daily basis is really amazing.

Despite all my rage.
I'm still just a rat in a cage.

skavenhorde

Little BRO Rat

January 18th, 2011, 00:32
Ive been part of each site at different times ( for the sake of continuity, I am going to call this site and rpgdot the same thing)
It sort of depends on which game you are trying out.

rpgdot was the capitol on the internet of both divine divinity AND of gothic when those were the best games out. Arx fatalis also.
There was some european invasion time of pc games I couldnt even tell you the year but i think something like 2005. Rpgdot was pretty hot at that time.
Gothic was sort of the best game ever really in its short little city state epoch. It had really cutting edge graphics and world design. If you want a yard stick gothic came out as a contemporary of nwn and morrowind. It was both more advanced and higher graphics.
Im sort of side tracking but back then I was sure the gothic team would have been rock stars by now.

Gamebanshee is absolutely superior in its file format, combining not just the discussion but where to get the patches for each game . Gamebanshee has the biggest forum on wizardry 8 and a few odd games.
So theyre both useful tools.
Last edited by stamar; January 18th, 2011 at 00:49.

stamar

Watcher

January 18th, 2011, 00:57
I think we'll keep it as it is

Computer n. A machine which flawlessly performs the instructions it is given, no matter how flawed those instructions may be.

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

Tags
suggestion
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » RPGWatch » GameBanshee + RPGWatch?