|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Celestian Tales: Old North - News Update

Default Celestian Tales: Old North - News Update

July 23rd, 2013, 18:40
Earlier this month I posted about a new kickstarter called Celestian Tales: Old North. One of the problems brought up was the graphics, and according to the developer they have been upgraded.

We've been receiving messages concerning our 'barebone graphics', and in our effort to answer we're on our way to revamp the combat backgrounds and environment from pixel arts to hand-drawn colors. Remember that sketch yesterday? Today it's halfway done into coloring:

Not using pixel backgrounds, in turn, lowers the workload for our dedicated pixel artist. This change gives her more time to add more animation frames to make them more fluid.
As of right now the project has earned only $11,837 of $40,000, and time is running out.

More information.

Couchpotato

LazyGamer
RPGWatch Team

July 23rd, 2013, 18:40
Not doing too well is it. Wonder if the JRPG style is a limiting factor on PC; a bit odd to have games where the characters appear to be about 10 years old with dialogue to match, when PC gamers, by most accounts, have an average age something more like 30.

Roq

Seeker
RPGWatch Donor

July 24th, 2013, 05:18
Originally Posted by Roq View Post
Not doing too well is it. Wonder if the JRPG style is a limiting factor on PC; a bit odd to have games where the characters appear to be about 10 years old with dialogue to match, when PC gamers, by most accounts, have an average age something more like 30.
While I'm sure a lot of PC gamers are turned off by JRPGs, this game looks like anything but a JRPG cliche to me. The back story they've laid out so far sounds very promising and stays away from a lot of the big JRPG cliches: no whiny amnesiac chosen one kid with daddy issues here. Also, another cool idea is that the story will span three decades, so the six playable characters will age as the story progresses. They may start out in their teens but will end up adults.

I like the art style they've shown for the backgrounds but frankly I don't care what it looks like. I'm interested enough in the concepts to throw ten bucks at it for a digital copy.

daveyd

Watchdog

July 24th, 2013, 08:08
The game sounds more like akin to Tactics Ogre and Final Fantasy Tactics. For me, the downer is combat, which is cartoonish enough to remind me more of Chrono Trigger, which is a good game in its own right (One of Avellone's all time fav, btw) but, personally, I wouldn't like them in the same game. The game seems to be narrative-focused with gray area choices, too. An interesting bit is that they seem to deal with decades of the lives of the main characters, according to this interview (So, no, Roq…they seem to grow much older than 10 years old…).

Dusk

Sentinel

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Celestian Tales: Old North - News Update