|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Games » General RPG » Hipsterrun Returns

Default Hipsterrun Returns

July 26th, 2013, 10:12
So I've sunk a few hours into this. Obviously, there will be differing opinions about the art direction, but for me, the cartoonish style really takes me out of it. Together with the writing in the dialogues, it seems like they were catering to two groups of people: those who'd really like to play in a dystopian setting, and those who want to play ironically.
The combat wouldn't be interesting at all if it wasn't turn based. Playing a Physical Adept, doing the straightforward popamole routine is totally feasible. Melee may be more risky on a higher difficulty, but the question is, does this campaign warrant another playthrough?

I'd advise people to wait until more good fan-made content is out til they buy this, unless they're really starved for TB combat.

"In Grimwhoah, you can ride on turtles."

Sacred_Path

Basement Horror

July 26th, 2013, 10:22
Clever title you got there.

For a game under $20 I can't fault it, and knowing that the editor will allow more content is icing on the cake. I sometimes wonder what the game could of looked like if it earned $5+ million or more also.

"It's quite simple my word is the law around here, and failure to comply means termination."

RPGWatch News Editor & Moderator

Couchpotato

Evil Potato Overlord
RPGWatch Team

July 26th, 2013, 12:14
Hipsterrun? No I don't think that is appropriate. The game is disapointing in some ways, but I'm enjoying it, and I'm not enjoying it ironically. I don't know what your expectations were, but it sounds like they were out of proportion.

Yme

Sentinel

July 26th, 2013, 14:30
Originally Posted by Yme View Post
I don't know what your expectations were, but it sounds like they were out of proportion.
My expectations/ wishlist:

- grittier art direction

- dialogue that doesn't sound like taken out of baby's first crime novel

- more depth to combat

dunno if that's out of proportion.

Sacred_Path

Basement Horror

July 26th, 2013, 14:54
Originally Posted by Sacred_Path View Post
My expectations/ wishlist:

- grittier art direction

- dialogue that doesn't sound like taken out of baby's first crime novel

- more depth to combat

dunno if that's out of proportion.
None of that warrants the hipster label though, does it?

I would have like more depth to the combat as well, as well as more exploration and less linear experience. The art is pretty much what they have been showing the whole time though, and the writing is fine.

I expected a good game, not a great game, and I think I got that. Not much of an rpg though. Shame if you are disapointed of course, hopefully other kickstarter games will be more to your liking.

Yme

Sentinel

July 26th, 2013, 15:42
The Seattle campaign was intended to be linear. However, the Berlin campaign is supposed to be non-linear:

http://www.shadowrun.com/forums/disc…-open-world/p1

gozioso

Watchdog

July 26th, 2013, 16:29
The art style isn't as bad as I thought it was prior to release. I'm about 4-5 hours in now, and I don't think the visuals are bad at all. The only thing that bothers me about the environment is how static it is.

JDR13

SasqWatch

July 26th, 2013, 16:41

I would have like more depth to the combat as well, as well as more exploration and less linear experience. The art is pretty much what they have been showing the whole time though, and the writing is fine.

I expected a good game, not a great game, and I think I got that. Not much of an rpg though. Shame if you are disapointed of course, hopefully other kickstarter games will be more to your liking.
We can agree to disagree on the writing, but I also think it's an ok game. I got my 15(?) dollars' worth I'd say. It's just not in the league where I'd say "if you like TB RPGs, get this", but rather "wait and see what the community comes up with".

Sacred_Path

Basement Horror

July 26th, 2013, 17:05
Originally Posted by Sacred_Path View Post
We can agree to disagree on the writing, but I also think it's an ok game. I got my 15(?) dollars' worth I'd say. It's just not in the league where I'd say "if you like TB RPGs, get this", but rather "wait and see what the community comes up with".
Pretty much my conclusion too. IMO, it's not bad but it's not great. After messing around with the editor a bit I'm convinced the best of this game will come from the community. HBS did a great job loading it up with extra art assets and it is capable of doing things the main campaign doesn't do (ie non linear stories and lootable corpses). Still glad I grabbed it, looking forward to a less linear Berlin campaign and hoping it all sells well enough for them to continue making games publisher free.

greywolf00

Sentinel

July 26th, 2013, 21:50

It's got that hipster/facebook/phone art style that I hate so much. It comes off even worse for something that's supposed to be gritty. It's like doing a cell-shaded version of dracula. Yegods.

ManWhoJaped

Keeper of the Watch

July 27th, 2013, 19:03
Originally Posted by ManWhoJaped View Post
It's got that hipster/facebook/phone art style that I hate so much. It comes off even worse for something that's supposed to be gritty. It's like doing a cell-shaded version of dracula. Yegods.
The developers actually commented on the art-style in an interview. They said that they went with this one, rather than a photorealistic one, because this one was considerably cheaper to make, and they could make it look relatively close to the current pen & paper artwork. And it's not that far from something that you would expect to find in a Shadowrun rulebook.

Fnord

Keeper of the Watch

July 28th, 2013, 04:27
Yeah I know it's cheaper but I'd rather have it look like 8 bit than that sort of fake cartoon look that seems to be everywhere.

ManWhoJaped

Keeper of the Watch

July 28th, 2013, 08:56
Except for Torchlight I haven't played any other games with a similar comic look, so I can't say I feel overloaded, personally. Now, the 8-bit look, that really is Hipster today - all the wannabe artsy indies do it

GhanBuriGhan

Wose extraordinaire

July 28th, 2013, 09:08
Originally Posted by GhanBuriGhan View Post
Except for Torchlight I haven't played any other games with a similar comic look, so I can't say I feel overloaded, personally. Now, the 8-bit look, that really is Hipster today - all the wannabe artsy indies do it
Yeah, that is true. I should have said 2D or lo fi but realistic 3D. But I do like 8 bit stuff if it's not all cuted up.

ManWhoJaped

Keeper of the Watch

RPGWatch Forums » Games » General RPG » Hipsterrun Returns