|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Wasteland 2 - Preview @ Gamestar

Default Wasteland 2 - Preview @ Gamestar

July 30th, 2013, 01:52
Gamestar has released a very detailed preview of Wasteland 2 only avaiable in print or as a digital download. But don't fear Wasteland 2 Guru has a summary for us.
Gameplay:
  • The game will have between 40 and 50 "maps" (they're compared to Fallout 2's 23 locations, so it might as well be referring to the overall number of places to visit).
  • The main storyline will take 20 hours to complete, without side quests or alternative solutions factored in.
  • On the subject of radio signals: the ether will play a prominent role in the game, reacting to the player and providing music.
  • CLASSIC is indeed the attribute system, comprising Charisma, Luck, Awareness, Strength, Speed, Intelligence, and Coordination.
  • 32 skills will be present in the game.
  • Combat skills: Blunt Weapons, Bladed Weapons, Anti-Tank-Weapons, SMG, Shotguns, Energy Weapons, Assault Rifles, Sniper Rifle, Handguns
  • Scientific skills: Picklock, Safecrack, Alarm Disarm, Toaster Repair, Computer Tech, Synth Tech, Demolitions, Brute Force
  • General skills: Silent Move, Salvaging, Hard Ass, B.S. Detector, Outdoorsman, Evasion, Leadership, Folklore, Animal Whisperer, Field Medic, Surgeon, Weapon Smithing, Field Stripping, Perception, Barter
  • Like in Wasteland, you can have up to seven characters in your party.
  • Energy weapons deal damage proportional to the amount of metal in the opponent's armor. The more, the higher the damage.

"We must stand strong my fellow watchers against the horde of red trolls." - Couchpotato

RPGWatch News Editor & Moderator
Last edited by Couchpotato; July 30th, 2013 at 02:34.

Couchpotato

LazyGamer
RPGWatch Team

July 30th, 2013, 01:53
Here is the full summary since it's to long for a news post,
Gameplay:

• The game will have between 40 and 50 "maps" (they're compared to Fallout 2's 23 locations, so it might as well be referring to the overall number of places to visit).
  • The main storyline will take 20 hours to complete, without side quests or alternative solutions factored in.
  • On the subject of radio signals: the ether will play a prominent role in the game, reacting to the player and providing music.
  • CLASSIC is indeed the attribute system, comprising Charisma, Luck, Awareness, Strength, Speed, Intelligence, and Coordination.
  • 32 skills will be present in the game.
  • Combat skills: Blunt Weapons, Bladed Weapons, Anti-Tank-Weapons, SMG, Shotguns, Energy Weapons, Assault Rifles, Sniper Rifle, Handguns
  • Scientific skills: Picklock, Safecrack, Alarm Disarm, Toaster Repair, Computer Tech, Synth Tech, Demolitions, Brute Force
  • General skills: Silent Move, Salvaging, Hard Ass, B.S. Detector, Outdoorsman, Evasion, Leadership, Folklore, Animal Whisperer, Field Medic, Surgeon, Weapon Smithing, Field Stripping, Perception, Barter
  • Like in Wasteland, you can have up to seven characters in your party.
  • Energy weapons deal damage proportional to the amount of metal in the opponent's armor. The more, the higher the damage.
Story and setting:

• The game begins in a truly Hitchcockesque fashion, with a sudden corpse and mysterious radio signals.
  • A new faction, the Mannerites, are revealed. Led by Mr Manners, they pay great attention to etiquette and proper behavior. They also eat people, following the red meat with a bit of red wine.
  • Red Skorpions are provided a little more background, described as a paramilitary survivalist group, similar to the ones existing in the United States today. They also hate Rangers.
  • The Pistol Packing Priests are confirmed as a priestly group that wants to mop up whatever human trash escaped the scorching blasts of the holy apocalypse. As the name suggest, they favor pistols.
  • The synths return, as the half-man, half-machine Children of the Citadel believing in the union between man and machine as the next step in the evolution of humanity as a whole. Pure humans are beneath their notice.
  • The Gippers will also be present. If you're scratching your head, that's because they're a faction built around worshipping Ronald Reagan as a god. The name is a reference to Reagan's role as Knute Rockne in the 1940 biopic Knute Rockne, All American.
  • Another faction, the Robinsons, are based on American motivational speakers like Dale Carnegie and Tony Robbinsons. Basically, think positive.
  • Finally, the Wrecking Crew. They're your garden variety psychotic raiders, with fun pastimes like raping, pillaging, and making ever more complicated junk armors. Described as perfect practice targets for energy weapons.
Other interesting information:

• New screenshots are shown, including a peculiar shot of a canyon highway rife with tribal markings and other locations in the wilderness.
  • Finally, the target sales are 200,000 - 300,000 copies, which will allow inXile to continue work on their games throughout the year.

"We must stand strong my fellow watchers against the horde of red trolls." - Couchpotato

RPGWatch News Editor & Moderator

Couchpotato

LazyGamer
RPGWatch Team

July 30th, 2013, 02:27
Wow, thanks for that newsbit - it made my day. I know Wasteland 2 will be good and this news made ensured about that. It's also good to see that they have a realistic goal - 200 - 300k goal is so much better than of Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning creators - they wanted to sell 3 million… I Kickstarted this game and I am so happy that it will be released in the not so distant future…

xep624

Watchdog

July 30th, 2013, 02:42
Yes, toaster repair is in!

(the only thing I remember about the original Wasteland 25 years later is Finster's Brain…)

Fantasm

Watchdog

July 30th, 2013, 05:31
Great read! Thanks so much for the share.

This is THE game for me, as Wasteland is my favorite game ever. This sounds amazing.

Merin

'Author'

July 30th, 2013, 05:49
Brian said this could be the biggest RPG he has ever been a part of. That's really saying something. I can't wait!

rossrjensen

Keeper of the Watch

July 30th, 2013, 05:49
Very much looking forward to this since I expect it to be considerably better than SRR, which is a pretty good game. I find the setting of wasteland/fallout style games more interesting and it looks like the engine and content for wasteland 2 will be considerably sexier than what's in SRR.

Voqar

PC Gaming Snob

July 30th, 2013, 05:51
CLASSIC is indeed the attribute system, comprising Charisma, Luck, Awareness, Strength, Speed, Intelligence, and Coordination

Heh… I guess just about any word could be used for an attribute acronym, with a little creativity.

Twenty hours for core story seems quite short. I'm disappointed, but I suppose they can't be criticized for doing the same thing everyone else has been doing for at least a decade. And I suspect there'll be a lot people can do to dick around for hours on end, extending gameplay quite a bit.

Are they suggesting Ronald Reagan was not a god?

CraigCWB

Sentinel

July 30th, 2013, 09:23
Originally Posted by CraigCWB View Post
Twenty hours for core story seems quite short. I'm disappointed, but I suppose they can't be criticized for doing the same thing everyone else has been doing for at least a decade. And I suspect there'll be a lot people can do to dick around for hours on end, extending gameplay quite a bit.
A twenty hour main quest is fairly huge actually. BG2 is the only similar game I can think of with a longer story than that. BG1 is nowhere near that big.

Then again, it's probably not twenty actual hours. It's twenty hours in marketing terms, so it's most likely ten or twelve or some such thing.

Maylander

SasqWatch

Send a message via MSN to Maylander

July 30th, 2013, 09:25
Yeah, for the main quest - 20 hours ain't bad.

Sounds very good overall.

DArtagnan

Waste of potential

July 30th, 2013, 09:36
I'm confident W2 will prove what Shadowrun didn't; that kickstarters can be a serious competition for products with publisher money.

"In Grimwhoah, you can ride on turtles."

Sacred_Path

Basement Horror

July 30th, 2013, 09:39
I'm not particularly confident about it - but I'm most definitely more hopeful about WL2 than I was about SR, and moreso after its release.

DArtagnan

Waste of potential

July 30th, 2013, 09:44
I have absolutely no doubt that this game is going to be superior to Shadowrun in nearly every way.

JDR13

SasqWatch

July 30th, 2013, 09:46
Big thank you for this news flash.
After fallout2 back in the days this game is THE game i am looking forward too the most.

ikbenrichard

Fulltime RPG watcher

July 30th, 2013, 09:54
Fallout was not a long game at all but had quite a good replay value. That said, I'd keep my expectation low, though, especially after I saw some people disappointed with SR. Keeping the expectation reasonable seem to work fine by me.

Dusk

Sentinel

July 30th, 2013, 13:01
Will this have an editor as well? I haven't been following it but am definitely interested. SR was a bit of a disappointment but editors make me hopeful

SonOfCapiz

Sentinel

July 30th, 2013, 16:22
No health stat? Hmm… perhaps it will be a derived stat?

rjshae

Bob
RPGWatch Donor

July 30th, 2013, 17:32
Originally Posted by SonOfCapiz View Post
Will this have an editor as well? I haven't been following it but am definitely interested. SR was a bit of a disappointment but editors make me hopeful
Mod tools were an achieved stretch goal during the Kickstarter, however they have said all along that they would be released after the main game is launched.

Zaphod

Traveler

July 30th, 2013, 17:34
Originally Posted by SonOfCapiz View Post
Will this have an editor as well?
The answer is yes
Actually, the editor came up as a stretch goal.

Xanthos

Traveler

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Wasteland 2 - Preview @ Gamestar