|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Realms of Arkania: Blade of Destiny Remake - Released

Default Realms of Arkania: Blade of Destiny Remake - Released

July 30th, 2013, 19:33
I have to say, reading the forums (including the official one) is quite entertaining right now. Schadenfreude I think they call it

"In Grimwhoah, you can ride on turtles."
Last edited by Sacred_Path; July 30th, 2013 at 20:09. Reason: lol

Sacred_Path

Basement Horror

July 30th, 2013, 19:51
I guess Im saving some money then. For the time being at least.

Yme

Sentinel

July 30th, 2013, 19:54
Seeing lists and screenshots of what all's broken on other forums, this game sounds more like a scam, rather than just your typical buggy release. With many of these bugs, there's no way they couldn't have been spotted by even the most basic testing, and no way the game would have been approved for release by any reputable company, even in the most desperate of circumstances.

Stingray

Sentinel

July 30th, 2013, 20:24
Don't think this is a scam. It's hardly the first game to be released in an unplayable condition and, no doubt, won't be the last. Sounds to me like they've got their files all mixed up and are struggling with version control. Hope they can fix it up, but don't imagine it will be soon. Like Legends Of Dawn, but worse.

Roq

Seeker
RPGWatch Donor

July 30th, 2013, 20:31
Not a version control problem. Though it does sound like there was some file mix-up with German vs English text, but that's it. You can read various posts from the "chief dev" on Steam forums and the Realm of Arkania forums, he admits they released it knowing it was extremely buggy.

Stingray

Sentinel

July 30th, 2013, 20:33
Originally Posted by Sacred_Path View Post
I have to say, reading the forums (including the official one) is quite entertaining right now. Schadenfreude I think they call it
seems I am not the only one that likes Schadenfreude ;-)
(evil I know)

ikbenrichard

Fulltime RPG watcher

July 30th, 2013, 20:37
Looks like Steam have removed the game from the "new releases" list as well. Could be that it never was on that list, but I thought so.

Yme

Sentinel

July 30th, 2013, 20:40
From the forum //

craftyfirefox

Chef Dev

We had an extensive Beta and thought that most of the Problems were ironed out. Most "terrible Bugs that make the game unplayable" are actually not that hard to fix, but can be very annoying and make the game seem "literally unplayable". Just give us a little time, we are working day and night to get the game into a really satisfying state for you and us both (which currently isn't the case, definitely). And I'm just certain that you will find this game really is not only far from alpha, but a real gem and fun and immersive to play.

same dev//

let me make a bold Statement: Check back in 6 weeks and tell me personally what you think. If you still think then that you'll need to wait another 4 1/2 Months, I'd be really surprised .

ikbenrichard

Fulltime RPG watcher

July 30th, 2013, 20:44
"Extensive Beta", right. Yet everyone who's actually bought the game has discovered it to be unplayable and loaded with bugs in the first 5-10 minutes.

Stingray

Sentinel

July 30th, 2013, 20:51
This is pretty much par for the course and has happened with many major releases too. It will have been beta tested, but when you try and shove it out of the door all sorts of problems emerge. I'll bet anyone who has worked in software will have seen similar cases. Certainly they are at fault for bad development practices, but I think they are trying their best.

Roq

Seeker
RPGWatch Donor

July 30th, 2013, 21:00
Originally Posted by Roq View Post
This is pretty much par for the course and has happened with many major releases too.
Have you seen the screenshots of this thing and the lists of bugs people have discovered? It's most definitely not par for the course, and there's no major releases I've ever heard of that have been even close to this bad.

Stingray

Sentinel

July 30th, 2013, 21:24
Originally Posted by Icefire View Post
Old school RPG at its best – for the Fans of REAL RPG games.

Does that mean fans of REAL rpg's like bug infested messes??
Not sure about the liking part, but we are pretty used to them….or were, back in the day. This sounds like a real shame, though. Downloading now to see for myself.

Capt. Huggy Face

Magicky Utok

July 30th, 2013, 21:39
Originally Posted by Capt. Huggy Face View Post
Not sure about the liking part, but we are pretty used to them….or were, back in the day. This sounds like a real shame, though. Downloading now to see for myself.
Our prayers go with you. Be brave

Yme

Sentinel

July 30th, 2013, 22:10
Originally Posted by ikbenrichard View Post
Daggerfall all over
There would be many other examples as well (Wake of the Ravager, Birthright, Descent to Undermountain, Darklands, Legends of Valour, …), but yeah Daggerfall is pretty much the most notorious one.

Anyway, I really hope they manage to fix it, because I like what I've seen so far (aside from the bugs, obviously) - the game is a VERY faithful remake of the original.

cacaro

Codexian Spy

July 30th, 2013, 22:11
Originally Posted by Yme View Post
Our prayers go with you. Be brave
OK, please note I said "used to" above. I'm not sure I have the patience for this type of stuff anymore.

The game started fine, and I was walking around town. Twice I looked through the wares of one of the market stalls. When I was done both times, however, it seemed to knock me out of the interface, like I had alt-tabbed to another application. I couldn't move or look around or do anything after closing the merchant window. I tried alt-tabbing back onto the game to make sure that was the active program, but that didn't work. I did the above windowed and in full screen. That's about enough for me for now. I'll hit it up again after the next patch.

Capt. Huggy Face

Magicky Utok

July 30th, 2013, 22:16
By the way, some posts from the steam forum:

saw an error message in english using the german version…lol
Then one of the orcs I was fighting did a jig and his turn never ended.

cacaro

Codexian Spy

July 30th, 2013, 22:23
Most likely publisher forced the devs to rush the product. Devs have nothing to do but patch the game right now. I believe one month later the game will be in a playable state.

"Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Terry Pratchett, Reaper Man

Gokyabgu

Keeper of the Watch

July 30th, 2013, 22:27
Not that we really have any reason to care whether it's the publisher or the developer. Either way, one of them is essentially scamming people by releasing a game that they clearly would have known wasn't anywhere near ready for release.

Why should the devs bother patching it though? They're some studio with no reputation, and nobody else is going to be buying this game after the initial reviews are out. They're better off keeping what they already got, saving their money on further development costs, changing their studio name, and going on about their business.

Stingray

Sentinel

July 30th, 2013, 22:33
Originally Posted by Stingray View Post
Why should the devs bother patching it though? They're some studio with no reputation, and nobody else is going to be buying this game after the initial reviews are out. They're better off keeping what they already got, saving their money on further development costs, changing their studio name, and going on about their business.
There are plenty of comeback stories. And RPGs have a much longer life than other genres. RPGs can and do make money for years and years. I think it was one of the Troika guys (or maybe BioWare) I read in an interview who was saying how they were making decent money on one of their RPGs more than a decade after its release, and that type of thing didn't happen much with other types of games. That interview was before GOG and all these remakes came into vogue.

Capt. Huggy Face

Magicky Utok

July 30th, 2013, 22:33
Originally Posted by Stingray View Post
The want to sell Star Trail and Shadows over Riva, too.

I don't understand why they released the game so early. Now the damage is done. No new fans will be generated. Old Realms of Arkania fans can wait a month or two - they have the old games already.
Young gamers will not buy it due to bad reviews.

For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong. - HL Mencken

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
RPGWatch Donor

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Realms of Arkania: Blade of Destiny Remake - Released