|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » RoA: Blade of Destiny Remake - Launches In A Broken State

Default RoA: Blade of Destiny Remake - Launches In A Broken State

August 1st, 2013, 00:13
Realms of Arkania: Blade of Destiny Remake launched in a broken state.The developers have released a few patches, but the damage is already done as they say. Incgamers has a new article covering this topic if anyone is interested in reading more.

We’ve been alerted to a rather large amount of problems with the game’s launch version on Steam. The first alarm bells should start ringing when you notice that Realms of Arkania apparently only has one achievement right now – called “Testing achievement” – but the problems run far deeper than that.

A weighty thread on RPG Codex (and an equally weighty number of complaints on the Steam forums) indicate that the game has more problems than you can shake an RPG at, ranging from boring ones like regular crashes, placeholder text, and untranslated text, through to slightly more entertaining ones like “many NPCs have holes in their heads”, “save game randomly deletes itself”, “all weapon models look like crossbows”, and “you start with infinite money, which randomly resets to normal during gameplay.” Entertaining as long as you haven’t paid for the game, anyway.

As those complaints are based on the early German release, some of those problems may have been fixed by now (the “Day One” patch apparently fixes the possibility of savegames being corrupted after a fight), but the patch schedule on the official forums doesn’t bode particularly well for its current state.

The patch scheduled for today, for instance, will apparently “fix random crashes” and “fix half-translated character screen” while one due tomorrow will “continue to remove placeholder [text] based on community reports.”

Even without this, things still don’t look particularly great. I’ve embedded a YouTube video of the game below, but for maximum amusement skip to 3:17 to hear the narrator struggle with poorly-translated text.
More information.

Couchpotato

Evil Potato Overlord
RPGWatch Team

August 1st, 2013, 00:13
Oh dear, that translation is hilarious.

Thrasher

Wheeee!
RPGWatch Donor

August 1st, 2013, 00:42
The priest outside the initial temple become invisible except for hat and beard from certain angles. It was a laughable bug, but I went to take a screenshot … and that key wasn't working

— Mike

txa1265

SasqWatch

August 1st, 2013, 08:43
Translation is irrelevant for German speakers, devs need to fix the game mechanics with patches then we shall talk.

mercy

SasqWatch

August 1st, 2013, 08:56
For me, there was always hang during first combat, and translation was horrible. I haven't seen such a broken release for a long time.

domein

Watcher

August 1st, 2013, 10:27
Wow, I come back from vacation straight into this. What a shame. My hopes weren't high from an aesthetic point of view, but I can live with sub-par graphics since ROA itself is quite a lovely game. This amount of technical trouble astounds me, however. It was supposed to be beta-tested quite extensively from what I read on the official forums? Well, serves me for pre-ordering. I'll play Shadowrun Returns over the next few days and then see what these days of planned patching have done.

Zerotown

Watchdog

August 1st, 2013, 13:28
Think people are over reacting on Steam and elsewhere. In the great scheme of things it hardly matters that the release has been untidy, if they manage to patch it all up, as they appear to be doing. The question for me is whether the remake adds to the original game. In the mean time I can't get too righteous and outraged by what is after all a common occurrence.

Roq

Seeker
RPGWatch Donor

August 1st, 2013, 14:05
I haven't double-clicked on the shortcut yet. Still trying to finish Eador's campaign, and with EU4 around the corner, I can easily give them 2-4 weeks to patch the game up.

wolfing

Wonders what SasqWatch is

August 1st, 2013, 14:37
Eador isn't repetitive and grinding (beside many good qualities)? I got this feeling and for now skipped it until a very low sale ie 2/3 bucks.

I don't think Steam players are overreacting; but if you check only now you could get this feeling because last patch (1.04) seems have bring a huge step forward, seems like they lost some series of fix and find them back.

I haven't check enough deeply the game, and won't until food and feeding isn't fixed, but from few first steps in character panels, level up panels, and close surrounding, all the problems I quoted previously, more than 10, was fixed but the feed bug.

Ihaterpg

Banned

August 1st, 2013, 14:41
Has the "TDE curse" struck again ?

(The "TDE curse" is like some kind of mixture between a joke, cynism & urban myth, expressing that all TDE PC games are kind of "cursed" since the fall of LMK).

“ Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage – to move in the opposite direction.“ (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

August 1st, 2013, 16:23
Was a new patch released yesterday evening ?

Gorath

Prime Evil
RPGWatch Team

August 1st, 2013, 17:06
Originally Posted by Gorath View Post
Was a new patch released yesterday evening ?
For PC perhaps, for Mac it was more the night or this morning, version 1.04. Seems a lot of language fixes from a quick check I couldn't find any problem, and noticed only one problem, food not working. Enough to make me stop.

No clue about combats neither before nor now. Nor for save management, I still didn't had anything that worth a save.

Ihaterpg

Banned

August 1st, 2013, 21:07
First "critic" review is posted on Metacritic. I don't know French, but the 0 out of 5 stars is pretty unsurprising: http://www.gameblog.fr/test_1637_rea…-of-destiny-pc
Google translate says they're calling it a "scam", though.

Stingray

Sentinel

August 1st, 2013, 21:15
Version 1.05 is out - at least for the german collectors edition.

For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong. - HL Mencken

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
RPGWatch Donor

August 1st, 2013, 22:03
My game was patched yesterday and again today.

Capt. Huggy Face

Magicky Utok

August 1st, 2013, 22:12
Originally Posted by Capt. Huggy Face View Post
My game was patched yesterday and again today.
You will keep repeating this line for many, many days

"In Grimwhoah, you can ride on turtles."

Sacred_Path

Basement Horror

August 2nd, 2013, 01:18
Originally Posted by Sacred_Path View Post
You will keep repeating this line for many, many days
I hope so.

Capt. Huggy Face

Magicky Utok

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » RoA: Blade of Destiny Remake - Launches In A Broken State