|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » OpenMW - An Open Source Morrowind Implementation

Default OpenMW - An Open Source Morrowind Implementation

August 2nd, 2013, 19:43
Kostas informed us of the work that is done on recreating the Morrowind engine with an open source version, which allows to run the original game as well as all mods. Here is some info from the FAQ:

OpenMW is an attempt to reimplement the popular role playing game Morrowind. It aims to be a fully playable, open source implementation of the game. You must own Morrowind to use OpenMW.

To give you a better idea of what this project is about, here are some of the aims for the future of OpenMW:

• Be a full featured reimplementation of Morrowind.
  • Run natively on Windows, Linux and MacOS X.
  • Support all existing content, including Tribunal, Bloodmoon and all user created mods.
  • Allow much greater modability: change game rules, create new spell effects, etc through scripting.
  • Fix system design bugs, like savegame “doubling” problem.
  • Improve the interface and journal system.
  • (Possibly) Improve game mechanics, physics, combat and AI.
  • (Possibly) Support multiplayer at some point.
  • (Possibly) Improve graphics to use more modern hardware.
It’s a pretty ambitious list, and there’s a lot left to do before these goals can become reality. You should check below for information about the current development status.

OpenMW is released under the GNU General Public License version 3, and all source code has been written completely from scratch. It also builds on various other open source tools, most notably OGRE for graphics, and Bullet for collision (and possibly physics).
More information on the FAQ page and they also have a video to watch:

More information.

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

August 2nd, 2013, 19:43
It sounds cool… but that represents a whole lot of skilled labor and dedication. It'll be interesting to see how far they get. I also wonder how Bethesda feels about the idea.

rjshae

Bob
RPGWatch Donor

August 2nd, 2013, 19:56
Both are very good questions RJ.

zahratustra

SasqWatch

August 2nd, 2013, 20:17
i would also wonder what other frameworks out there are already readily available. as a garage "i did it because i could" project sure, but this is way too ambitious for little gain.

cptbarkey

Sentinel

August 2nd, 2013, 22:20
Not sure if Bethesda could have any say since it's just an engine that requires Bethesda's assets to have any content whatsoever. AFAIK it's not too different as far as legality is concerned to BGTutu or whatever the mod that tranfered BG1 to BG2's engine was called.

I'd just like to interject here and point out that I'm not going to say anything to spoil the mood, Chief. I'll just float here and watch. Don't mind me, just sitting here, floating and watching, that's me.

Kostas

Dormant Watcher

August 2nd, 2013, 23:25
Originally Posted by Kostas View Post
Not sure if Bethesda could have any say since it's just an engine that requires Bethesda's assets to have any content whatsoever. AFAIK it's not too different as far as legality is concerned to BGTutu or whatever the mod that tranfered BG1 to BG2's engine was called.
It also sounds similar to how the surviving conversion mods (converting morrowind to run in oblivion's engine for example) work. They do not distribute any assets from the game but rather import them and add new assets and require both games to be installed to work.

From Bethesda's standpoint conversions or even this reverse-engineered engine are a win (as long as they require the assets be present on the end-user's system) because they encourage the purchasing of their game just as any more traditional and highly publicized mod might.

jhwisner

SasqWatch

August 3rd, 2013, 00:03
Makes sense regarding Bethesda assets.

Personally I'd much prefer a Fallout 1&2 port to an FO3/NV-like engine.

rjshae

Bob
RPGWatch Donor

August 3rd, 2013, 01:14
Wait a second… the first o in Morrowind is a long o?? Psych. I've been using a short o, as in morrow. OH! But now the online dictionary says that can be pronounced with a long o, too??

Some day forums like this will start using voice instead of text and on that day shall be many pronunciation flame wars.

P.S. Ah ha! The o has the same sounds as the o in drow.

Zloth

I smell a… wumpus!?

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » OpenMW - An Open Source Morrowind Implementation