|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » RPGWatch Feature: Dragon Commander Review

Default RPGWatch Feature: Dragon Commander Review

August 14th, 2013, 22:35
Very nice review Kaniel!

EDIT: wut. It's not available on amazon US? Don't tell me… No engrif box?

Thrasher

Wheeee!
RPGWatch Donor

August 15th, 2013, 06:57
There is an English retail version available from the Larian Vault.

Limited English Box now available for order

Raze

Dragon Knight

August 15th, 2013, 12:43
Did anyone else found chapter 3 underwhelming?All of major decisions are in chapter II and by the time you reach chapter 3 most of tech has been researched.

Nameless one

Wizzard

August 15th, 2013, 13:19
Yep (see above), was a bit of an anticlimax I am afraid.

In my opinion they could:
1) regulate the award of Research points so by the end game if the player has managed to max everything out it should be a close thing and one hard fought for.
2) in that vein make the enemy AI more aggressive on the strategy map so camping back and hoarding RPs gold and units is more challenging at least.
3) Story lock the master level skills for chapter 3. That was at least what I was guessing from the start…

Hey could all this already be there for the hard level of difficulty? (I played on normal) if so:
1) facepalm.
2) imo the normal difficulty should still be tuned in that direction anyway as it is what most players will get for the game on the first time through at least…
(I usually pick hard by default in RPGs but normal for other genres for the first time.
Will try hard on my replay in a year or so of course)

JonNik

SasqWatch

August 15th, 2013, 14:07
If anybody wants a copy of this I have a steam key for It I got from DDOS kickstarter.

I won't play it as its not my kind of game.

First person to pm me can have it.

I'm working like crazy so if I don't get the key to you right away don't worry. I will do it in the next day or 2.

EDIT: Didn't expect such a quick response but The has been claimed and it has been sent.
Last edited by sakichop; August 15th, 2013 at 14:32.

sakichop

SasqWatch

August 15th, 2013, 20:07
Originally Posted by Raze View Post
There is an English retail version available from the Larian Vault.

Limited English Box now available for order
Thanks for that, but I guess I won't be getting it. I rarely buy games at full price at release (except for a few exceptions). It'll never go on sale. I'll buy digital when it $5 or less only. Companies won't get my money when they won't deliver a hardcopy and still charge the same price (or higher).

Thrasher

Wheeee!
RPGWatch Donor

August 15th, 2013, 20:12
Originally Posted by Thrasher View Post
Thanks for that, but I guess I won't be getting it. I rarely buy games at full price at release (except for a few exceptions). It'll never go on sale. I'll buy digital when it $5 or less only. Companies won't get my money when they won't deliver a hardcopy and still charge the same price (or higher).
Understandable … but why should Larian either enter a high risk business (retail distribution in a locked up market) or accept an unfavourable deal (junior partner of a 2nd-3rd tier local publisher) netting them ca. 5$ per copy? This only sounds like a reasonable idea when the game has already been discounted to 50% online.

Gorath

Prime Evil
RPGWatch Team

August 15th, 2013, 20:26
Well I think they have enough credibility to get a better publisher. But I'll bet the idea grates on them given their terrible past experiences with publishers. They could continue to sell the hardcopy on their site (i.e. it may not actually be limited edition), but I won't hold my breath.

Thrasher

Wheeee!
RPGWatch Donor

August 16th, 2013, 15:31
Originally Posted by JonNik View Post
3) Story lock the master level skills for chapter 3. That was at least what I was guessing from the start…
Completely agree with this point, for every difficulty that the game is played. You should always seem to give the player something new each chapter - be it an expansion in scope or shift to the gameplay etc. Saving the master skills until the end would have been a really nice draw to the final section.

Impressions of the retail (and patched) version vs the review code so far:
-Longer load times!
-Fewer bugs and more stable (though some bugs still noticeable).
-Slightly more polished in other ways too - bit more meat to the RTS sections with better AI etc.

kalniel

SasqWatch

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » RPGWatch Feature: Dragon Commander Review