|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » Developer harassment

Default Developer harassment

September 10th, 2013, 02:43
Originally Posted by Couchpotato View Post
Nah I'll remain neutral rather than spout insane theories of government control.

I do have to ask what does forced labor camps, and citizen repression have to do with gaming, and the media? Sounds a little crazy if you ask me. Do you need a shrink.
Wow, what an insulting, stupid post.

Sounds like you might honestly need a shrink, dude. And a sense of humor, as well.

ManWhoJaped

Keeper of the Watch

September 10th, 2013, 02:48
Originally Posted by ManWhoJaped View Post
Wow, what an insulting, stupid post.

Sounds like you might honestly need a shrink, dude. And a sense of humor, as well.
It nice you think I'm serious also. You must not of been on these boards to long.

"It's quite simple my word is the law around here, and failure to comply means termination."

RPGWatch News Editor & Moderator

Couchpotato

Evil Potato Overlord
RPGWatch Team

September 10th, 2013, 02:49
Ah, sorry.

There's too many people who actually say and mean stuff like that.

ManWhoJaped

Keeper of the Watch

September 10th, 2013, 03:06
Originally Posted by ManWhoJaped View Post
There's too many people who actually say and mean stuff like that.
No harm done. That's why I stay out of political topics. I have seen a few boards over the years shutdown the political sections because of the craziness, and fighting.

"It's quite simple my word is the law around here, and failure to comply means termination."

RPGWatch News Editor & Moderator

Couchpotato

Evil Potato Overlord
RPGWatch Team

October 22nd, 2013, 14:46
Related (imho good article) : http://www.tentonhammer.com/the-delu…ation-requests

Let’s say a developer made the following statement in a forum post - “The team is working on this awesome new feature called Bazoola Woogle Hunting. The design discussions are going great so far, but it’s still on the drawing board. I can’t promise anything will come of it, but hopefully we’ll be able to show the community more about it soon.” There are so many reasons the community team on hand would cringe at this that they’re hard to process, but let me point out a few.

Rule number one – I know “soon” to the player base means a couple weeks, but in development speak, that can easily be six months or more. Remember, these people may have been working on this project for years. To them, six months is nothing.

Rule number two – “I can’t promise anything” gets translated to “I promise it will be in the game soon” within a matter of minutes on various boards the statement gets forwarded to.

Rule number three – Rules one and two are the creators of “The Company Lied To Us!" syndrome.

“ Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage – to move in the opposite direction.“ (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

October 22nd, 2013, 15:31
I think one key aspect of this kind of communication is the understanding of human psychology.

Once you realise that human beings bitching when in an anonymous position almost never means much at all - you can stop taking it to heart.

DArtagnan

Waste of potential

November 7th, 2013, 21:32
I just remembered this : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Selena
It's about Fans, in the end.

“ Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage – to move in the opposite direction.“ (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

March 21st, 2014, 15:43
I just found this http://eluminarts.com//journalism!.png
which is discussed heres https://twitter.com/Laralyn/status/425387324881395712
via an article on Gamasutra : http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/2…Apocalypse.php
- but the first link is an astonishing read. It shows an game journalist trying to harass an female game designer to get information from her.

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

March 21st, 2014, 19:49
Is this for real? She doesn't respond directly to the sexual "hints" - you could remove all of them from the "exchange" and her answers would still make sense. Makes me suspect it's edited.

pibbur who isn't sure what to think and therefore doesn't know what he's thinking

d++a59e++TU4567'!S'!89!A!WM!LuC++++u+++uF+++nR——nS ++++wC—-o++++wS——uLB++++

pibbur who

Number 13

March 22nd, 2014, 15:09
Or the "journalist" was drunk. Maybe. Or he just overestimated his abilities. Or both.

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

March 23rd, 2014, 00:19
Now thats certainly a weird conversation… All those sexual comments seemed so random!

According to Kotaku, the guy had indeed drunk a bit too much for his own good.

Btw here is the full story. http://kotaku.com/reporter-apologize…ale-1505393796

Dez

Watcher of The Keep

May 26th, 2014, 21:01
Gamasutra posted another tale on the matter : http://gamasutra.com/blogs/JustinFis…s_Aversion.php

And the interesting psychological result of this particular tale is :

Human beings tend to demonstrate an interesting phenomenon: we experience losses far more intensely than we experience gains.
But this story goes even deeper - it's about manipulating people as well …

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » Developer harassment