|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Games » General Non-RPG » Rise of the Triad remake.

Default Rise of the Triad remake.

July 4th, 2013, 10:53
Anyone paying attention to this? I know the original was pretty popular back in the dawn of first-person shooters. I never played it myself, but it seemed to have a cult following.

It appears to be a budget release along the lines of Far Cry: Blood Dragon.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/217140/

http://www.gog.com/news/preorder_rise_of_the_triad

JDR13

SasqWatch

July 4th, 2013, 11:10
I own boxed versions og the original and expansion. It has it's charm for sure. Initially I was hyped about it but now I'm not expecting too much. I suspect it will get below average reviews. Same thing goes for the new Shadow Warrior. It is made by a more accomplished developer but it seems they removed that which made SW unique. Its political incorrectness and stereotypes.

stealth

Sentinel

July 4th, 2013, 11:19
Blood Dragon was turning the original game upside down and going into as much sillyness as possible. It was instabuy for me.
This here… Doesnt' look like that. Not buying.

Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor

July 4th, 2013, 11:24
I just pre-ordered it from GMG. If you use the latest voucher on their site, it's only $11.25

I've watched a few gameplay videos, and it looks decent enough. It doesn't take itself too seriously. There appears to be a ton of gore and pop-culture references.

Originally Posted by stealth View Post
Same thing goes for the new Shadow Warrior. It is made by a more accomplished developer but it seems they removed that which made SW unique. Its political incorrectness and stereotypes.
I never played Shadow Warrior despite being a big fan of the other popular Build engine games (Duke Nukem 3D, Blood). To be honest, I'm a little surprised they chose that title for a remake. I didn't think the original was that popular.

JDR13

SasqWatch

July 4th, 2013, 12:13
I own boxed versions og the original and expansion. It has it's charm for sure. Initially I was hyped about it but now I'm not expecting too much. I suspect it will get below average reviews. Same thing goes for the new Shadow Warrior. It is made by a more accomplished developer but it seems they removed that which made SW unique. Its political incorrectness and stereotypes.
You wanna wash Wang or watch Wang wash Wang?

Ah, the memories

"Chess in particular had always annoyed him. It was the dumb way the pawns went off and slaughtered their fellow pawns while the kings lounged about doing nothing that always got to him; if only the pawns united, maybe talked the rooks around, the whole board could've been a republic in a dozen moves." - Commander Vimes in Thud! by Terry Pratchett

fatBastard()

Hello, I'm a Zombaholic

July 9th, 2013, 04:56
You guys might be interested in Shadow Warrior Classic Redux. It's a new release on steam that apparently includes the original game + both expansions with slightly upgraded graphics and a modern control scheme.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/225160/

JDR13

SasqWatch

July 9th, 2013, 06:55
Oh, this one's a no-brainer for me. RotT was one of my favorite silly shooters back in the days, have the boxed edition plus Extreme RotT here on the shelf. And Shadow Warrior was surprisingly good IIRC. Have that one here, too (I guess I played them all back then).

Semper HiFi!
Motto of the 54th Groove Bde.

Jaz

SC-2201
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

July 9th, 2013, 11:16
A lot og SW happening. Both a redux of the original and a new modern adaptation by the devs responsible for Hard Reset. I wonder how the redux compares to using a source port with high def textures?

stealth

Sentinel

July 9th, 2013, 13:20
I'll grab this one at some point … though the GMG coupon is compelling - I had the shareware disk and bought the full game back when it came out. Not my fave of the generation, but still solid fun.

— Mike

txa1265

SasqWatch

July 9th, 2013, 20:09
A lot og SW happening. Both a redux of the original and a new modern adaptation by the devs responsible for Hard Reset. I wonder how the redux compares to using a source port with high def textures?
The word on the Steam forums is that the controls are significantly improved. More specifically, mouse aiming is a lot smoother\tighter.

*Edit* I've purchased and so far just played the first level. I like it, and I'm not sure why I didn't play this back when it was released. Same style of gameplay and level design as Duke Nukem 3D.

You have a choice between "smooth or "retro" style graphics. Although I don't see much of a difference between them to be honest. The resolution is far greater than the original Build engine games though (I'm playing in 1920x1200), and the control scheme is completely modern and customizable.

This is a must-buy at $10.
Last edited by JDR13; July 10th, 2013 at 12:19.

JDR13

SasqWatch

July 12th, 2013, 06:57
A friend and I played the crap out of Shadow Warrior when it came out. It was great fun MP and at times downright hilarious. is mp working in this new version?

We satisfy our endless needs, and justify our bloody deeds, in the name of destiny, and in the name of God.

Icefire

Sentinel
RPGWatch Team RPGWatch Donor

July 12th, 2013, 07:21
Originally Posted by Icefire View Post
is mp working in this new version?
No multiplayer right now, but word on the forums is that it's coming.

JDR13

SasqWatch

August 13th, 2013, 09:07
this looks like it would be fun for playing a good old evening of deathmatch - til 4am.

xSamhainx

Paws of Doom

RPGWatch Forums » Games » General Non-RPG » Rise of the Triad remake.