|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Games » Gothic 3 » Anyone like the alternative A.I.?

Default Anyone like the alternative A.I.?

December 7th, 2013, 18:20
Just curious if anyone prefers the alternate A.I.

I've tried the game both ways, but I feel like the alternate A.I. just makes combat too annoying considering the large groups of enemies you often have to fight. I appreciate what the modders were trying to do, but I think the click-fest combat is better suited to this game world.

And I just came from playing G2: NOTR, so I don't need any "u suk l2p" comments. I love the combat in G1, G2, and Risen 1, I'm just not really a fan of this alternate A.I. Considering all the enemies you have to fight and the respawning monsters, I don't want my every skirmish to be an epic battle of wits.
Last edited by Thunderchunks79; December 7th, 2013 at 18:38.

Thunderchunks79

Traveler

December 7th, 2013, 19:27
The combat annoyed me so much that I decided to play a mage and shoot everything down with fireball and icelance.

Gorath

Prime Evil
RPGWatch Team

December 7th, 2013, 19:38
What respawning monsters are we talking about? IIRC only dingos or whatever wild dogs respawn in the desert, nothing else.

Anyway, I don't see a point of using modded AI. The game initially was not designed to be efficient against it. Either that or do what Gorath did, pump up only ranged magic and to hell with those mobs.

Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor

December 7th, 2013, 19:57
Originally Posted by Thunderchunks79 View Post
Just curious if anyone prefers the alternate A.I.

I've tried the game both ways, but I feel like the alternate A.I. just makes combat too annoying considering the large groups of enemies you often have to fight. I appreciate what the modders were trying to do, but I think the click-fest combat is better suited to this game world.
I actually agree. I tend to simply turn off the alternative AI. For it to make sense, liberating cities would have to be redesigned, so that you could gain more support during the actual liberation process.

Basically, liberating cities in Myrtana would have to be more like the ones in Varant. As it is, liberating cities in Myrtana usually means fighting 40 orcs + mercenaries solo and that's just too much hassle with the alternative AI.

Maylander

SasqWatch

Send a message via MSN to Maylander

December 7th, 2013, 20:29
I'm glad I'm not the only one. And I would go ranged, but I'm just a melee person. I'll slog through the melee no matter how bad it is.

@joxer: The community patch edits the game so that creatures have a certain percentage chance of respawning after you kill them. It's nice for experience, but I think I would turn it off if I could.

Thunderchunks79

Traveler

December 7th, 2013, 20:40
I dunno about that, sorry. But if it does turn nongrinding game into a bloody grinder, those modders should be ashamed. The title "Patch" and patching process should only be used to fix problems, not to redesign someone else's game and make it annoying to PB fans (me) who despise grinding.

Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor

December 9th, 2013, 16:12
I agree. I'm not sure if the respawning was something that was supposed to be in the game and was bugged or if it was something the CP people just decided to add, but it really sucks going back into an area you cleared and running into a whole pack of wolves.

Thunderchunks79

Traveler

December 9th, 2013, 17:20
Originally Posted by Thunderchunks79 View Post
I agree. I'm not sure if the respawning was something that was supposed to be in the game and was bugged
Afaik that was the case. Code for wolf respawning was apparently already there.

I'd just like to interject here and point out that I'm not going to say anything to spoil the mood, Chief. I'll just float here and watch. Don't mind me, just sitting here, floating and watching, that's me.

Kostas

Dormant Watcher

December 10th, 2013, 16:29
It was intentional the one of the most annoying enemies in the game respawns? Man, that's just evil, PB. I usually just run by them now as the 50 xp isn't worth bothering with.

Thunderchunks79

Traveler

December 10th, 2013, 17:25
Yes dingo packs in the desert were respawning in the original game too. PB never said if that was intended, but to me it smells like a bug as all their games "hate" immortality.

Anyhow, only that mob type had a godlike feature that prevents them to die permanently. All other hostiles once defeated are gone for good. Should I add that I want more PB games desperately just because of that?

Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor

December 11th, 2013, 01:18
Me, too. I'll even take another pirate game, though I'm hoping they got the whole pirate thing out of their system.

Thunderchunks79

Traveler

December 11th, 2013, 10:47
There is no re-spawning of wolves, silver wolves, jackals etc' etc' in my G3 game, never has been and never will be.

Wulf

Inquisitor

RPGWatch Forums » Games » Gothic 3 » Anyone like the alternative A.I.?