|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Elder Scrolls Online - Three Million Beta Sign-ups

Default Elder Scrolls Online - Three Million Beta Sign-ups

August 25th, 2013, 00:27
PCGamesN has a short but interesting piece of information for The Elder Scrolls Online. The game has three million people wanting to play the beta.
Matt Firor hit us with the numbers today at Gamescom. “We’ve had well over 3 million beta sign-ups, which we haven’t announced before.” said Firor. “You don’t want to let too many people in early, because the game is, frankly, not too good in early beta and you don’t want to expose many people to that, but we’re well into the tens of thousands.”
More information.

Couchpotato

LazyGamer
RPGWatch Team

August 25th, 2013, 00:27
I predict more than half of them scream in horror when they realize it isn't skyrim 2.

Melvil

Super Duper Super Sweet

August 25th, 2013, 01:05
Originally Posted by Melvil View Post
I predict more than half of them scream in horror when they realize it isn't skyrim 2.
You'll be surprised how much this sentence is untrue (source: I've been in 3 ESO beta so far).

azarhal

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor

August 25th, 2013, 02:22
I predict all those kids with no manners, with no respect, with their foul language, will finally leave me to enjoy LoL with normal ppl.
They'll all move to TES:MMG (massive multip. grinder).

Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor

August 25th, 2013, 11:17
Beta is free. The game itself is anything but. I'm sure they'll sell a bunch of boxes but I don't see how a weak single player online game that's not really an MMORPG and that lacks MMORPG features and elements is ever going to be worth a sub.

I wouldn't count on those kids leaving their free LOL.

I'm glad to see some sub-based games coming out…but I'm still not seeing how they're gonna justify a premium sub for that game.

That pricing model appeals to old school MMORPG players like me, not casuals who want solo/single player games like GW2 or TESO.

Voqar

PC Gaming Snob

August 25th, 2013, 12:08
I'm not surprised. The masses standing there at the Games com were *huge* - I didn't dare to go closer to that.

“ Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage – to move in the opposite direction.“ (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

August 25th, 2013, 13:14
Alrik, next time bring a smoke bomb with you.

Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor

August 25th, 2013, 13:32
Kaboom. Or use your stealth skill and sneak on in.

"From knowledge springs Power, just as weakness stems from Ignorance."

Hastar

Unspeakable

August 25th, 2013, 17:02
Originally Posted by azarhal View Post
You'll be surprised how much this sentence is untrue (source: I've been in 3 ESO beta so far).
So you're saying it IS Skyrim 2?

Or you're saying the beta testers just aren't screaming in horror that it isn't?

Stingray

Sentinel

August 25th, 2013, 17:40
Originally Posted by Stingray View Post
So you're saying it IS Skyrim 2?

Or you're saying the beta testers just aren't screaming in horror that it isn't?
Let say that the "MMO players" are the one crying right now, because ZOS did a few controversial choices meant to please the "Skyrim players".

azarhal

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor

August 25th, 2013, 22:44
I'm afraid I cannot forgive Bethesda for trampling the Elder Scrolls name with that silly MMO. It reminds me of other publishers who took their best children and ruined them (Dead Space, Resident Evil, Dragon Age…).

Was it not enough to have Skyrim be insanely successful? Now they think they can dilute their brand with a lame MMO just to cash in on Skyrim's success. NO. NO. NO.

If you can't tell…I'm not happy about this garbage.

Brumbek

Watchdog

August 25th, 2013, 22:52
Originally Posted by joxer View Post
I predict all those kids with no manners, with no respect, with their foul language, will finally leave me to enjoy LoL with normal ppl.
They'll all move to TES:MMG (massive multip. grinder).
I predict they're not interested in paying monthly subscription, so they most likely will stay out. And no one expects a LoL game without no manners / respect and foul language kids.

Siannah

Watcher

August 25th, 2013, 23:09
Well I don't hate them fo trying something new. My nightmare is that they will become like Blizzard. It's a different studio but earning more money than any single-player RPG will see to that.

I hope and pray it doesn't come true.

"Beware the potato for he is easily angered."- Couchpotato

Couchpotato

LazyGamer
RPGWatch Team

August 25th, 2013, 23:55
They are appealing to the console audience as well, so there may be hope for a decent single player quest grind that you can play without ever having to pay a monthly sub. I'll try out any open beta they have before I decide myself.

Melvil

Super Duper Super Sweet

August 26th, 2013, 12:14
Yesterday I thought : "Well, Skyrim fits perfectly into the current "dark & gritty" fashion ! No colours at all on the posters ! (Apart from a few blood-red stripes.)
Is this the reason why it is so pupular ? Because they hit the top of the nail (of that fashion) ?"

“ Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage – to move in the opposite direction.“ (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

August 26th, 2013, 13:36
Originally Posted by Alrik Fassbauer View Post
Yesterday I thought : "Well, Skyrim fits perfectly into the current "dark & gritty" fashion ! No colours at all on the posters ! (Apart from a few blood-red stripes.)
Is this the reason why it is so pupular ? Because they hit the top of the nail (of that fashion) ?"
Got nothing to do with dark & gritty, that's the Witcher.

People like Skyrim because it's a bit sandboxy, got nice graphics and support modding.

azarhal

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor

August 26th, 2013, 14:09
Originally Posted by Brumbek View Post
I'm afraid I cannot forgive Bethesda for trampling the Elder Scrolls name with that silly MMO. It reminds me of other publishers who took their best children and ruined them (Dead Space, Resident Evil, Dragon Age…).

Was it not enough to have Skyrim be insanely successful? Now they think they can dilute their brand with a lame MMO just to cash in on Skyrim's success. NO. NO. NO.

If you can't tell…I'm not happy about this garbage.
You don't have to play it though. This will have no effect on the main Elder Scrolls game. Why do you care that it simply exist?

Yme

Sentinel

August 26th, 2013, 17:27
Originally Posted by Couchpotato View Post
Well I don't hate them fo trying something new. My nightmare is that they will become like Blizzard. It's a different studio but earning more money than any single-player RPG will see to that.

I hope and pray it doesn't come true.
Why would becoming like Blizzard be a bad thing?

Fluent

RPG Fiend
RPGWatch Team

August 26th, 2013, 18:38
Originally Posted by Fluent View Post
Why would becoming like Blizzard be a bad thing?
Quit simple really Blizzard has all become about online play and services. I'm sure you don't have a problem with that. I and others do. The day every game requires me to be online, and on a server I'm quitting gaming. Call it a pet peeve of mine.

"Beware the potato for he is easily angered."- Couchpotato

Couchpotato

LazyGamer
RPGWatch Team

August 26th, 2013, 18:53
Originally Posted by azarhal View Post
Got nothing to do with dark & gritty, that's the Witcher.

People like Skyrim because it's a bit sandboxy, got nice graphics and support modding.
And for several other reasons.

pibbur who doesn't have any opinion on TESO until he sees it.

d++a58e++TU4567'!S'!89!AW!ML!uC++++u+++uF+++nR——nS ++++wC—-o++++wS——uLB++++

pibbur who

Number 13

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Elder Scrolls Online - Three Million Beta Sign-ups