|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » XBox One *feature* - advertising

Default XBox One *feature* - advertising

July 8th, 2013, 04:41
Apparently, it's been built from the ground up to take advantage of advertising regardless of your Live membership. Another nail in the coffin.
http://www.gamespot.com/news/xbox-on…n-mind-6411083

Microsoft hopes that the inclusion of Kinect with every Xbox One system will allow the company to better serve contextually relevant ads, and that integrating advertising material within content will make it less jarring.

“On Xbox, the ad is part of the actual experience, it’s not something that is outside. The only difference is that the advertisement we have is quite small and not disruptive, so people are not aware of clicking on the banners because they know this is a part of the whole experience on the dash,” the senior digital art director revealed. “So the users know that this is something that when they click on it, they won’t be hit by something crazy or something dangerous like on the web. Everything that lands there, we create."

Drithius

Misbegotten Alien

July 8th, 2013, 06:55
This will not go over well…

Dr. A

Keeper of the Watch

July 8th, 2013, 06:56
I wonder if they are so blind to their users wants that they dont see this or maybe they just dont care. I pay godawful amounts to Comcast and they still inject crap ads into the TV and I don't want my gaming console tracking me and selling me stuff through advertising. I start to give a pass when content is free and paid for by advertising but I'd rather see a different business model.

Anyway another reason not to pick up this console. Unfortunately, Sony really burnt my goodwill with the games they played on the PS3 by pulling features and requiring so frequent updates that I have to patch everytime I turn it on to watch Amazon/Netflix. Hopefully this next generation isn't as bad as it looks like it could be at the moment.

figment

Sentinel
RPGWatch Donor

July 8th, 2013, 07:28
Well, the PS4 has the ability to seamlessly download and update itself even when it's off so you might like that.

Dr. A

Keeper of the Watch

July 8th, 2013, 12:18
Things are nowadays about exploiting customers - not being "for" them.

“ Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage – to move in the opposite direction.“ (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

July 8th, 2013, 13:31
Do you want to buy a console? Yesterday I'd answer "perhaps, sometimes in the future, if they yadda yadda yadda".
Today I answer "NEVAR!".

Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor

July 8th, 2013, 13:46
Yes indeed, the next console generation is appearing less interesting by the day.

Maylander

SasqWatch

Send a message via MSN to Maylander

July 8th, 2013, 14:32
Hate going tinfoil but wonder if MS will take advantage of the info the Kinect can gather and provide it to the advertising agencies.

I'd just like to interject here and point out that I'm not going to say anything to spoil the mood, Chief. I'll just float here and watch. Don't mind me, just sitting here, floating and watching, that's me.

Kostas

Dormant Watcher

July 8th, 2013, 16:12
I use Firefox with adblock for a reason. I will not have any system that forces ads on me. I stopped watching TV and am ripping my DVDs just for this purpose.

*facepalm* As if MS has any feet left to shoot themselves in.

It was the night before Hogswatch…

I became insane with long intervals of horrible sanity - Edgar Allan Poe

azraelck

Angel of Cookies!

Send a message via AIM to azraelck Send a message via Skype™ to azraelck

July 8th, 2013, 21:23
The thing its this: Most people, in the 75-80% percent range, do not care about this. They just want their computers and consoles to be clean, to update themselves as well as they're probably not bothered by the ads they see. If I go the Gamebanshee, I also see an ad before I'm able to go the website. The Codex has ads as well - they help to pay for content.
And do the logos of say Bioware, Atari or Intel bother you when you play a game…

Please support http://www.maternityworldwide.org/ - and save a mother giving birth to a child.

aries100

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Team RPGWatch Donor

July 9th, 2013, 00:23

At least maybe now people will stop saying consoles didn't ruin gaming. What more can it take?

ManWhoJaped

Keeper of the Watch

July 22nd, 2013, 13:59
Originally Posted by falama View Post
Ppl today seems wouldn't rather spend much more money on the game than before. As the bigger invest of diablo 3 gold makes Blizzard lose more and more players.
There are far more important things out there than in-game gold.

“ Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage – to move in the opposite direction.“ (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

July 30th, 2013, 05:07
I plan to get one… I feel the options and features so far presented are superior to the competition.

*smirk*

No, I'm kidding. I'm getting a PS4.

Like seriously.

human_male

Math and girls is hard.

July 30th, 2013, 12:10
I'm just going to play all of the games on my PC since the next generation of consoles are just PC's.

guenthar

SasqWatch

Send a message via Skype™ to guenthar

July 30th, 2013, 15:31
Originally Posted by aries100 View Post
The thing its this: Most people, in the 75-80% percent range, do not care about this. They just want their computers and consoles to be clean, to update themselves as well as they're probably not bothered by the ads they see. If I go the Gamebanshee, I also see an ad before I'm able to go the website. The Codex has ads as well - they help to pay for content.
And do the logos of say Bioware, Atari or Intel bother you when you play a game…
I'll point out to you that Internet Explorer, despite being force bundled on every windows OS out there, is far from the most popular browser. The ones that are more popular, like Chrome and Firefox have one thing in common. They all support plugins, and the most popular one by far is Ad Blocking add ons.

I'll also point out that it wasn't too terribly long ago that the banner ads here at the watch were hijacked and infested with virii.

I can skip those logos easily by hitting escape or enter; I can't escape the ads without adblock. And they still annoy me, especially when it's more than one or two splash screens.

It was the night before Hogswatch…

I became insane with long intervals of horrible sanity - Edgar Allan Poe

azraelck

Angel of Cookies!

Send a message via AIM to azraelck Send a message via Skype™ to azraelck

August 12th, 2013, 20:39
I don't understand why anyone would by a Xbone after all the back peddling and bad features M$ have introduced.

I won't even be buying a PS4. Not until it's cheap anyway and has some good console exclusives (which probably means three years from now). Most of what releases on console is on PC too. The launch titles from next-gen computers look absolutely horrifying gameplay wise and half of them are on current-gen and PC anyway.

CoD: Ghosts is the flagship title for next-gen alongside BF4 which should tell you everything. Brainless gaming.
FFS

Grangokhan

Watchdog

August 14th, 2013, 18:03
It seems obvious to me that Xbone should be avoided… with the PRISM fiasco.

herp_derp

I have no idea…

August 14th, 2013, 21:17
How can I put advertisements into this thing so that the people at Microsoft will see them ?

Right now it's just One Way.

I want Two Way instead.

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

August 15th, 2013, 04:32
I can't recall the source, but they are tying some game achievements to how many advertisements you watch.

herp_derp

I have no idea…

August 29th, 2013, 21:34
Ads cost nothing to make and you a fortune. It's like usury version 2.

The Walkin' Dude

Watcher of the Keep

RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » XBox One *feature* - advertising