|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Guild Wars 2 - The First Year

Default Guild Wars 2 - The First Year

August 29th, 2013, 06:56
To celebrate the first year of Guild Wars 2 ArenaNet has a new blog retrospective going over the whole year, and even have a nice chart with facts.

So much has happened in the past twelve months that sometimes it’s hard for me to believe that it was just one year ago today that we launched Guild Wars 2 in North America and Europe.

Creating Guild Wars 2 was an enormous undertaking — two hundred developers working for five years — but releasing it was even more so. You may have heard it said that “building a successful MMO isn’t a sprint, it’s a marathon.” I think that’s true – you have to adopt the long view – but sometimes the challenges after launch are so varied that it really feels more like a triathlon.
More information.

Couchpotato

Evil Potato Overlord
RPGWatch Team

August 29th, 2013, 06:56
I bought in on their philosophies. No trinity sounded like a good idea - people have wanted that forever.

They didn't stick to all of their philosophies.

No trinity means no structured grouping and mini zergs of 5 soloists sharing and instance and chat isn't much of a group.

F2P is garbage. F2P that includes "currency exchange" whereby people can basically blatantly pay to win spending cash on game currency is the absolute worst type of P2W.

I got a LOT of people to try GW2. Some didn't even make it to the level cap before getting bored. The rest of us got bored once we got there - didn't even finish every instance. The grouping just blows if you like structured and more typical MMORPG grouping.

First year, eh? I don't think we lasted but maybe 6 months, if that.

GW2 has some good ideas and was fun for a short while, but ultimately, it's not much of an MMORPG. To me it's the ultimate game for the wrong kind of player - the person who wants to solo extensively in massively multiplayer games.

I say "wrong" because I would prefer to see MMORPGs made for people who want to group and who enjoy challenge - like we had in the original MMORPGs. There is no lack of single player games. Distorting and mutilating the MMORPG genre to be yet another single player experience is just wrong, when the style of play (group heavy, RPG, challenge) of the early MMORPGs was one of the best experiences games could offer.

Voqar

PC Gaming Snob

August 29th, 2013, 15:22
You lasted 6 months? I lasted 6 days.

Yme

Sentinel

August 29th, 2013, 20:31
Originally Posted by Voqar View Post
I got a LOT of people to try GW2. Some didn't even make it to the level cap before getting bored. The rest of us got bored once we got there - didn't even finish every instance. The grouping just blows if you like structured and more typical MMORPG grouping.
Loved the game until I got first toon up to the level cap and that was it for me. Really they've done some amazing things, but they haven't been able to provide any compelling objectives after you get to level 80 and they made it far too quick and easy to get there whilst experiencing a fraction of the content that's in the game. Really good effort, but no banana for longevity. Played Guild Wars 1 for far, far longer.

Roq

Seeker
RPGWatch Donor

August 29th, 2013, 21:02
Voqar pretty much expressed my sentiments. The game is geared towards soloing casual players and it rings shallow for anyone who wants the deeper gameplay and camaraderie of older MMOs.

Drithius

Misbegotten Alien

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Guild Wars 2 - The First Year