|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Forbes - Dungeons & Dragons Video Games

Default Forbes - Dungeons & Dragons Video Games

August 30th, 2013, 04:50
Forbes Contributor Erik Kain has a new article were he writes about three Dungeons & Dragons video games that need to be made.

Dungeons & Dragons has two massively multiplayer online roleplaying games, an upcoming mobile game, and a huge back catalog of old-school computer roleplaying games and brawlers.

But MMORPGs don’t scratch the roleplaying itch for many gamers, or at least not always in the same way that single-player games do.

Wizards of the Coast should capitalize on the D&D brand’s long tradition of single-player RPGs, especially now that technology and video game innovation could lead to some of the best D&D video games ever.

Here are three games that the D&D license should take advantage of.
More information.

"It's quite simple my word is the law around here, and failure to comply means termination."

RPGWatch News Editor & Moderator

Couchpotato

Evil Potato Overlord
RPGWatch Team

August 30th, 2013, 04:50
bad link. should be http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain…ed-to-be-made/

also, looks liek they reviewed Chronicles of Mystara

http://www.forbes.com/sites/games/20…th-friends-pc/

Developer of The Wizard's Grave Android game. Discussion Thread:
http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22520

Lucky Day

Daywatch

August 30th, 2013, 04:52
Originally Posted by Lucky Day View Post
bad link. should be http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain…ed-to-be-made/

also, looks liek they reviewed Chronicles of Mystara

http://www.forbes.com/sites/games/20…th-friends-pc/
It's a simple copy past error. Don't look at me like that they happen. Thanks for reporting it and bringing it to my attention..

"It's quite simple my word is the law around here, and failure to comply means termination."

Couchpotato

Evil Potato Overlord
RPGWatch Team

August 30th, 2013, 05:37
Would love to see any of those ideas get made. Replaying some of the old IE games to get my D&D fix right now.

greywolf00

Sentinel

August 30th, 2013, 06:39
In a nutshell…

1. No

2. Yes

3. Maybe

JDR13

SasqWatch

August 30th, 2013, 06:53
His idea of a tactical D&D game *sorta* came true with the little known PSP game "Dungeons and Dragons Tactics". Yes, the title is sort of redundant, but it was slightly decent. I went through it back when it was new and my only real gripe was the slooooooooooooooooowness of the game, both framerate-wise and gameplay wise.

As a Goldbox veteran who cut his teeth on EOB, POR and the Dragonlance/Krynn games, I think the only thing we need is another Temple of Elemental Evil, minus the launch disaster.

If you look at TOEE's cult following and the excitement still surrounding the BG series I don't think it would be a risk to make another big single player D&D RPG. Just don't make it "WEIRD". Don't make it an RTS (Dragonshard), don't make it an ARPG (Daggerdale) and don't make it a cookie cutter casual MMO (Neverwinter)

I used to care about the license, but with Kickstarter and the rise of the indie developers I have begun caring less and less. Shadowrun, Torment, Project Eternity, Wasteland 2…I can get my fix.

DungeonHack

DOS Addict

August 30th, 2013, 07:02
Yup, if you wanna bring back the authentic D&D vibe, make it like ToEE and the Gold Box games. You don't need crappy special effects or high budget voices, get someone that cares about writing and write a damn good story. Then, sit back and count your money. Win - win. You won't even need to market it, word of mouth alone will do all that for ya.

-Carn

Carnifex

SasqWatch

August 30th, 2013, 11:15
Originally Posted by DungeonHack View Post
I think the only thing we need is another Temple of Elemental Evil, minus the launch disaster.

If you look at TOEE's cult following and the excitement still surrounding the BG series I don't think it would be a risk to make another big single player D&D RPG. Just don't make it "WEIRD". Don't make it an RTS (Dragonshard), don't make it an ARPG (Daggerdale) and don't make it a cookie cutter casual MMO (Neverwinter)
Man, there is so much wrong about this statement, I nearly don't know how to start:

A big budget ToEE like game? Never going to happen. It wasn't only the launch that shot the game down. The total lack of an interesting story, character backgrounds, NPCs to relate to and of course it being a Grayhawk game were also responsible. Atari should've never allowed Troika to choose the module for themselves. A Recipe for desaster it was. It sold long, this much I admit, but it sold badly - going to the bargain bin within 3 months (which was a very short time back then - normal today).

The only thing that sort of may come to fruitition would be a X-Com 2012 style game. Still tactical, but directed to be exciting. Less micro management but still with the old feel. With the clusterfuck that the D&D rights are, I can't imagine anyone to try it, though.

The bombing of Dragonshard didn't came as a surprise: The released Blood & Magic when there were too many RTSs out there and DS when noone wanted to play any RTS anymore. Bad timing.

Daggerdale is a typical product of a publisher near bancruptcy: Very low budget, no quality control, no support, tried and true game mechanics + the licence.

Neverwinter seems to be quite successfull ATM. Don't know whats wrong about the game…

blackcanopus:
Steam is out of question. It's not convenient, it's not easy to use, it's not simple and fast. It's terrible.
"Where STEAM fails, the PHOENIX rises"

Sir_Brennus

Planeswalker

August 30th, 2013, 11:26
Originally Posted by Sir_Brennus View Post
Neverwinter seems to be quite successfull ATM. Don't know whats wrong about the game…
Well if were talking about the F2P MMO that's the problem right there. It's not a new single player story driven RPG now is it?.

Couchpotato

Evil Potato Overlord
RPGWatch Team

August 30th, 2013, 11:37
There was a time when I never thought I'd say this, but a big, story driven RPG with D&D rules/ setting would be nice. BG2 is getting a bit long in the tooth.

"In Grimwhoah, you can ride on turtles."

Sacred_Path

Basement Horror

August 30th, 2013, 12:42
As a Goldbox veteran who cut his teeth on EOB, POR and the Dragonlance/Krynn games, I think the only thing we need is another Temple of Elemental Evil, minus the launch disaster.
+1 on that ! I'm too longing for that kind of IP revival and would buy the game blindfolded.

Gloo

SasqWatch

August 30th, 2013, 14:52
His idea of a tactical D&D game *sorta* came true with the little known PSP game "Dungeons and Dragons Tactics". Yes, the title is sort of redundant, but it was slightly decent. I went through it back when it was new and my only real gripe was the slooooooooooooooooowness of the game, both framerate-wise and gameplay wise.

I used to care about the license, but with Kickstarter and the rise of the indie developers I have begun caring less and less. Shadowrun, Torment, Project Eternity, Wasteland 2…I can get my fix.
Dungeons and Dragons tactics was really really good. My only complaint was that you had to open the chests before you killed the last mob in the map, or you'd miss them, how stupid is that?
Last edited by wolfing; August 31st, 2013 at 01:46.

wolfing

Wonders what SasqWatch is

August 30th, 2013, 15:22
If a kickstarter like Project Infinity can generate that much interest, I don't see any problems with trying to sell another TOEE. If you look past the disasters of the game, the concept of d&d in computer format excelled!! (cant wait for PE btw!)

ds77

Traveler

August 30th, 2013, 17:00
As much as I'd like to see another single player NWN game, the MMO all but destroyed that franchise.

How 'bout another Baldur's Gate? They've wanted to do it awhile, and I believe Obsidian even spent a great deal of time/effort working on it only to be told "no" by the money handlers.

I think Project Eternity may swing that pendulum now.

ChaosTheory

Sentinel

August 30th, 2013, 20:37
Personally I'd definitely go for the second game if it was decently well done; the other two I'd take a pass.

Originally Posted by Sir_Brennus View Post
A big budget ToEE like game? Never going to happen. It wasn't only the launch that shot the game down. The total lack of an interesting story, character backgrounds, NPCs to relate to and of course it being a Grayhawk game were also responsible. Atari should've never allowed Troika to choose the module for themselves.
I agree that the ToEE scenario wasn't that interesting as a CRPG, although the game system itself was decent. It was mostly just a big long dungeon crawl with some barely passable character interaction in the first chapter. Modules that work semi-decently as tabletop gaming material don't necessarily work well as a video game.
Last edited by rjshae; August 30th, 2013 at 20:56.

rjshae

Bob
RPGWatch Donor

September 1st, 2013, 12:41
There seems to be a lot of demand for all three of these but all we ever get is crap. Especially I get surprised to see how many people (outside rpg sites anyway) want something like the first option which is of course what I want more of. I think you barely see them online much any more just because they have given up.

And of course when you are older and have a job or business you realize how much time online nonsense takes away from your life.

ManWhoJaped

Keeper of the Watch

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Forbes - Dungeons & Dragons Video Games