|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » 38 Studios - Judge Allows Rhode Island Lawsuit

Default 38 Studios - Judge Allows Rhode Island Lawsuit

August 30th, 2013, 15:34
According to Polygon a new judge's ruling allows Rhode Island suit against 38 Studios to proceed. Looks like things are heating up once again.

Rhode Island's lawsuit against Curt Schilling and others involved with a $75 million loan guarantee to bankrupt developer 38 Studios can proceed, according to a ruling from Superior Court Judge Michael Silverstein.

"I am gratified by the Court's initial ruling in the 38 Studios case," Rhode Island Governor Lincoln Chafee said in a statement provided to Polygon. "It allows the important claims to proceed and is a significant first step to recovering the taxpayers' losses."
More information.

Couchpotato

Evil Potato Overlord
RPGWatch Team

August 30th, 2013, 15:34
Poloygon. Is that near Sheboygan?

JuliusMagnus

Indulgent Wastrel

August 30th, 2013, 16:52
This became such an ugly mess. I still remember being quite hopeful when the initial reports on the plans for the studio and KoA came out…

GhanBuriGhan

Wose extraordinaire

August 30th, 2013, 17:04
Originally Posted by GhanBuriGhan View Post
This became such an ugly mess. I still remember being quite hopeful when the initial reports on the plans for the studio and KoA came out…
I look at this as a lesson of how not to run a business. They should of never bothered making the MMO it wasted to many resources.

"It's quite simple my word is the law around here, and failure to comply means termination."

RPGWatch News Editor & Moderator
Last edited by Couchpotato; August 30th, 2013 at 17:27.

Couchpotato

Evil Potato Overlord
RPGWatch Team

August 30th, 2013, 20:20
Curt floated around like a benevolent rich man who thought he was a god. in the end he was left with the bag.

cptbarkey

Sentinel

August 30th, 2013, 20:51
I don't see what they can hope to accomplish at this point. That money is long gone.

JDR13

SasqWatch

August 30th, 2013, 22:18
The more I look at this, the more I think the lawsuit should go the other way. There were promises the State didn't seem to keep. Since its a judge in Rhode Island I'm thinking there's a bias here and the Governor is using a hammer to try and get what they can out of Schilling and Co by circumventing bankruptcy laws that protect the studio.

Developer of The Wizard's Grave Android game. Discussion Thread:
http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22520

Lucky Day

Daywatch

August 31st, 2013, 00:27
Originally Posted by Couchpotato View Post
I look at this as a lesson of how not to run a business. They should of never bothered making the MMO it wasted to many resources.
But that's the reason the company was founded in the first place. Buying up Big Huge Games was something they did along the way.

JuliusMagnus

Indulgent Wastrel

August 31st, 2013, 00:35
Originally Posted by JuliusMagnus View Post
But that's the reason the company was founded in the first place. Buying up Big Huge Games was something they did along the way.
It was the cause of their closure also I love how that worked out. Someone loan me 75 million dollars so I can make it disappear in two years.

This quote right here is proof of that from this article-http://www.bostonmagazine.com/2012/0…dios-end-game/
Asked about 38 Studios’ failure, Schilling says his management team suffered from “significant dysfunction” and that his video-game developers worked too slowly. Those problems, he allows, are his fault. “As the chairman and founder,” he says, “who’s above me?”

"It's quite simple my word is the law around here, and failure to comply means termination."

RPGWatch News Editor & Moderator

Couchpotato

Evil Potato Overlord
RPGWatch Team

August 31st, 2013, 04:52
This is still going on? 38 is dead and everyone laughs at Amalur. It was a financial failure and as a game it was a copy and paste of Fable and Oblivion.

Grangokhan

Watchdog

August 31st, 2013, 06:08
Originally Posted by Lucky Day View Post
The more I look at this, the more I think the lawsuit should go the other way. There were promises the State didn't seem to keep. Since its a judge in Rhode Island I'm thinking there's a bias here and the Governor is using a hammer to try and get what they can out of Schilling and Co by circumventing bankruptcy laws that protect the studio.
It's not the first time for me to see pop sports players are exploited their nativity and, while Schelling, indeed, seems to have a part of the responsibility, I've gotten an impression that he is being politically used as a scapegoat, at the same time. When politicians call out for "taxpayer money", posing as being on the right side, my intuition tells me that they might as well be trying to hide something inconvenient for themselves. Here, we are talking of a money pool of 75m which every single accountant dropped like a hot potato - Has nobody tried to take an advantage of it? Did it actually "disappear" exclusively due to a single individual? Doesn't it sound too convenient? Also, when does mass media begin to tell bias-less truth?

Dusk

Sentinel

August 31st, 2013, 21:53
Originally Posted by Dusk View Post
It's not the first time for me to see pop sports players are exploited their nativity and, while Schelling, indeed, seems to have a part of the responsibility, I've gotten an impression that he is being politically used as a scapegoat, at the same time. When politicians call out for "taxpayer money", posing as being on the right side, my intuition tells me that they might as well be trying to hide something inconvenient for themselves. Here, we are talking of a money pool of 75m which every single accountant dropped like a hot potato - Has nobody tried to take an advantage of it? Did it actually "disappear" exclusively due to a single individual? Doesn't it sound too convenient? Also, when does mass media begin to tell bias-less truth?
I'm not so sure. Lots of elected officials think they can kickstart their economy by investing a lot of money into a big industrial project. In turn, the taxes from the employees and the business it would generate in the form of shops and services would pay the state back. A lot of areas dream of being the next silicon valley. I remember watching Pittsburgh Penguins games where some commercials centered around a job faerie who touted the joys of living in cold, drab, rusted out Pennsylvania to a tech graduate over the terrible conditions of sunny California.

Developer of The Wizard's Grave Android game. Discussion Thread:
http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22520

Lucky Day

Daywatch

August 31st, 2013, 23:32
Originally Posted by Grangokhan View Post
This is still going on? 38 is dead and everyone laughs at Amalur. It was a financial failure and as a game it was a copy and paste of Fable and Oblivion.
Such logic.

If you don't stand behind your troops, feel free to stand in front.

rune_74

SasqWatch

September 1st, 2013, 03:31
Actually, KoA seems to have been a so-so success, at least, commercially. I have no intention of defending it as a game, though.

Originally Posted by Lucky Day View Post
I'm not so sure. Lots of elected officials think they can kickstart their economy by investing a lot of money into a big industrial project. In turn, the taxes from the employees and the business it would generate in the form of shops and services would pay the state back. A lot of areas dream of being the next silicon valley. I remember watching Pittsburgh Penguins games where some commercials centered around a job faerie who touted the joys of living in cold, drab, rusted out Pennsylvania to a tech graduate over the terrible conditions of sunny California.
What did I sound sure of? I simply feel media criticizing only one individual is too short-sighted and unnatural. Either it was just a na´ve political failure as you depicted, or darker than that, at least, the politicians seem to be using the ex-MLB player as a convenient scapegoat.

Dusk

Sentinel

September 1st, 2013, 03:33
It didn't become a wow killer but it did become a rhode island killer. That's something, I guess.

ManWhoJaped

Keeper of the Watch

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » 38 Studios - Judge Allows Rhode Island Lawsuit